Author Topic: Need advice: Oil leak at C10 valve cover gasket  (Read 178 times)

Offline Charliedog

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Need advice: Oil leak at C10 valve cover gasket
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:34:05 pm »
Since doing the last valve adjustment my 2000 C10 it has had an oil leak at the area under the valve cover on the right side at the camshaft 'valley'.  I've taken it apart once already and re-applied sealer and put everything back together again-but I don't think the vc gasket was totally dry.  I just rode the bike 125 miles today and re-checked, yup, still leaking.

I would not be concerned except I'm leaving next Monday for Salt Lake City for a long weekend and attending the Moto-America event.  That will be about a 3500 mile ride over ten days.  So, my question is:  Is there any chance of a sudden failure and abrupt loss of oil at that spot?

Yes, I know it will be a mess if I don't address it until I get back, but I haven't checked yet to see if any of my local dealers have a replacement gasket in stock.  Even if they did, I suspect i would muck up something else if I try to rush the repair before I leave.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA     

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
Re: Need advice: Oil leak at C10 valve cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:55:13 pm »

Do the repair!!

I think if you order today with priority shipping you should get it by friday to do the repairs. I hear Murphs ships fast. Replace the spark plug gaskets too.

If your leak is on the half moon then you don't want this to happen. you'll be very sorry!

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/cracks-in-my-valve-cover-gasket/msg493083/#msg493083

You can do a repair on it. I did it when I discovered mine was cracking. But I wasn't going in to the hot mountains for 10 days either.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »
Mine leaks but not enough to worry about. Mostly a seepage.
After some time and constant inspection, I came to the conclusion it want's a threat to the bike.

Maybe a few drops of oil over time. I just wipe it up and enjoy my ride.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:59:31 pm »

Do the repair!!

I think if you order today with priority shipping you should get it by friday to do the repairs. I hear Murphs ships fast. Replace the spark plug gaskets too.

If your leak is on the half moon then you don't want this to happen. you'll be very sorry!

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/cracks-in-my-valve-cover-gasket/msg493083/#msg493083

You can do a repair on it. I did it when I discovered mine was cracking. But I wasn't going in to the hot mountains for 10 days either.

Mine not anyway close to that mess. If that bad, yes, a must fix.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:28:12 pm »
I think it got that way suddenly after not taking care of the initial fix.

If I was riding in town I would monitor it. Going off into a mountain next week where bears and aliens may abduct and anally probe someone, I would fix it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:03:33 pm by DC Concours »

Offline Charliedog

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:48:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I have a new gasket coming from Murph. I'll start taking the plastic off tomorrow.  That will be the third time since Memorial Day.  BTW I did replace the spark plug seals-and they did come from Murph.