Author Topic: Need Fuel Hose Replacement Tips  (Read 500 times)

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3512
  • Membership Level: Active
Need Fuel Hose Replacement Tips
« on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:01 am »
I pulled my gas tank last night to replace the petcock and wanted to also replace the fuel line as it seemed prudent. I got the tank end of the hose detached, but danged if I could figure out how to (hopefully) quickly and easily detach the lower end from where it feeds the carbs. That lower hose clip is danged near inaccessible. How much additional disassembly is needed, or do I just need a new special tool to reach it? Or a small child with small hands?

Cheers,
Scott

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
Re: Need Fuel Hose Replacement Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:36:45 am »
Find a rod that fits inside the fuel line. Slide fuel line over the rod with wire type clamp in place. Place end of rod in fuel line fitting and slide fuel line down the rod until seated. Otherwise you have to remove the carburetors. A little saliva on the inside of the hose helps as well. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:43:11 am by Pbfoot »
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:38:46 am »
Kawasaki no longer carries the stock fuel line. I use 7.5mm Honda fuel line. Fits much better than aftermarket line or Kawasakis replacement line.  I buy the line and the wire type clamps here.  https://www.cyclerefinery.com/products/honda-oem-7-5mm-fuel-line?variant=38450958406
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:51:30 am »
Thanks for the tips on reinstallation, but the current problem is getting the old line off first. I've already got new line from Murph's.

Scott

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:34:45 pm »
Thanks for the tips on reinstallation, but the current problem is getting the old line off first. I've already got new line from Murph's.

Scott
What kind of line did you buy? Hopefully not Tygon which collapse with heat.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 01:04:36 pm »
Ya, that's a real bugger. I used a razor blade in a pair of small vise-grips
to cut as much close to the clamp then pulled, lots of cussing, it off. Good
luck and don't cut yourself.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 01:05:13 pm »
Be careful. The t fitting is plastic.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:14:31 pm »
I used extra long needle nose pliers (available at Harbor Freight) to get the clips off.
Cut the old hose to get it off the "fitting"..
Do not use undue force nor a deep cut as the "fitting" is plastic.

Pbfoot's method of installing is the best method to do the re-install....

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 04:05:33 pm »
Pbfoot asked:
[/quote] What kind of line did you buy? Hopefully not Tygon which collapse with heat. [/quote]

I got this from Murph's https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=243&osCsid=GS6ZkPUhVWinUYT4AQ1Up3 which says it's tygon. Why are Murph's and Motion Pro selling this as gas line if it's unsatisfactory?

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 04:16:17 pm »
a lot of people like tygon. its not bad, just needs to be routed correctly to avoid kinks is all. also,t he thicker the wall  is the less chance it has of kinking. there are some real thin wall varieties out there. I'd imagine the murphs stuff is good quality. 

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 05:18:19 pm »
For your removal, cut the hose (shorten it) as much as possible, a squirt of wd 40 down the inside of the hose, A long nosed pair of needle nose pliers with one part internal, the other external try twisting the hose CAREFULLY  ;D . I've also carefully used a heat gun (hair dryer) to heat up the rubber, softens it up, easy removal.

As for reinstall, I think I found a #3 phillips screwdriver, or was it a long shank #2? I forget.  Slip the hose over the screwdriver, carefully insert the tip into the carb fitting (also keeps the fitting from trying to rotate on you as you install the hose), slide the hose down over the fitting. That's really helpful if you are adding the 90 degree fuel filter as the fuel hose from the filter to the carbs only needs to be a couple inches long.

YMMV

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:31:46 pm by Victor Salisbury »
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 05:50:29 pm »
a lot of people like tygon. its not bad, just needs to be routed correctly to avoid kinks is all. also,t he thicker the wall  is the less chance it has of kinking. there are some real thin wall varieties out there. I'd imagine the murphs stuff is good quality.

The Murph's stuff was pretty rugged.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 06:46:31 pm »
as far as getting the hose on a fairly blind spot, i have some hemostats, curved tip and long, that are excellent for this type of work. they also work really well as vacuum and hose pinch-offs.  I always have a few sets hanging on the wall. .02

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 01:55:00 am »
Pbfoot asked:
What kind of line did you buy? Hopefully not Tygon which collapse with heat. [/quote]

I got this from Murph's https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=243&osCsid=GS6ZkPUhVWinUYT4AQ1Up3 which says it's tygon. Why are Murph's and Motion Pro selling this as gas line if it's unsatisfactory?
[/quote] I bought the same line and in the Texas heat it lasted 2 seasons and got hard and collapsed.

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 07:59:24 am »
A second on hemostats! I have a long curved pair that are cat's meow. A best tool in the arsenal.

Slipping hose over a insert of some kind is good too. Also would caution on cutting hose to plastic fitting depth. Hair dryer is better option.

Tygon shrinks tightly due to heat and/or exposure to fuel. Kinks too. On road side it is impossible to deal with. Hint hint! Will not use it again.

Thanks all, good posts.

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 12:48:56 pm »
So I managed to "procure" a set of long haemostats (or however you spell that), curved and straight, and I'm just waiting for that magic alignment of available time to do the job, and the gas tank is reasonably empty (only for weight reduction to lift it off). It may be a while, but I'm in no rush. As I mentioned, the only reason I was replacing the gas line is that it seemed a reasonable conjunctive job while the tank was off to replace the petcock. Thanks to all for the tips.

Scott