Author Topic: Need some BIG brake help!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Need some BIG brake help!
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 07:48:12 pm »
if residual pressure was the issue, it would have been IMMEDIATELY  evident after the bleeder was cracked, so thats not it.

you can push the bads back a bit w/out cracking the bleeders open to see if there a mechanical interference. .02

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 07:58:16 pm »
If it isn't a problem while riding, the pads/pistons may be moving back as things heat up and no problem.

If you can hear or feel while rolling the bike,,
ie; If the 3/4 turn always stops in the same place, you have something dragging in that area...
The interference will be with some part of the caliper or pads vs the rotor...
Find that area and inspect it thoroughly.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:08:47 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MikeH_OH

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2019, 06:22:24 pm »
While my front brakes are all OE pieces after rebuilding the calipers and replacing the pads, several hundred miles of riding my wheels rotates over 2 rotations. That is after applying the brakes and releasing them.

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 05:52:05 am »
Okay sorry guys have been busy this week but worked the bike tonight bought new seals cleaned the grooves so thoroughly and pistons look great, and didn’t really do anything still 3/4 turn no other interferance only the pads are sticking. Did all of you guys tests cracking the bleeder screw, loosening the bolts, etc loosening the bolts did help, so I’m thinking maybe the washers in between the calipers and forks might just be a hair to big/small? That was the only thing that seemed to loosen them up. I am going on a little 2 day trip this weekend so just trying to make sure i get all the info i can before i go

Offline Gitbox

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »
easy test, crack the bleeders real quick open, and then tighten them back up. if it then spins free, its the master. if that doesnt do it, then its the piston seals (grooves)

Brilliant!
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • COG#: 12064
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 01:04:09 pm »
I do not know about your calipers, but the stock c-10 brakes work like this. The flex of the square seal is what pulls the pads off the disc when you release the break lever. So the pistons, bores and seal groves need to be very clean prior to installation. Any dirt will prevent the pistons from moving off the disc and cause the brake to drag. Get into the service manual for the bike the calipers came from and find out how they function.

With the pistons all the way in, can the wheel rotate freely? I think you said Yes above. If yes it is not a problem with the mounting position of the caliper.
Will the calipers move side to side on the mounting pins?
Then pump the lever until you get a firm lever and watch the calipers. Do they flex and release with the lever? If you look close you may be able to see the pistons move. On one side use something to move the pistons back into one caliper. Try to turn the wheel. Repeat with the other side to try to isolate it to one side or the other.

Any one piston not moving back could cause the drag. With single side pistons the mount pins must move freely also or the fixed side could be rubbing the disc.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 02:10:31 pm »
Eric, we've asked several questions in this discussion that were never answered. Please answer them so we can help.
Primarily for me;  Is this on 1 caliper or both?
                           Does the rotation always happen in the same area??
                           Do you hear any change in sound at that time? {Like something rubbing/hitting}

Ted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:33:13 am by connie_rider »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 06:45:33 pm »
, so I’m thinking maybe the washers in between the calipers and forks might just be a hair to big/small? That was the only thing that seemed to loosen them up.

Please explain further what you are talking about here.....
 :-\ ::)

something ain't right....

sorry, I just went back and read all this from the beginning, and looked at your pictures...

no way to say what's going on
sorry.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:52:27 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 02:20:03 pm »
Yeah i can answer those questions it seems like it happens on both, but more so on the left side sticks more. When i rotate the front wheel progressively at the constant speed it does seem to bind up for a second and then release in certain spots, which makes me think warped rotor? And the sound is pretty constant just sounds like pad on rotor

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »
The first part is talking about the calipers sticking just by the way

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 02:51:21 pm »
loosening the bolts did help, so I’m thinking maybe the washers in between the calipers and forks might just be a hair to big/small? That was the only thing that seemed to loosen them up.

it seems like it happens on both

it does seem to bind up for a second and then release in certain spots

When I built my caliper brackets, the end of the bolts {that hold the caliper to the bracket} were extremely close to the bolt heads that hold the rotor onto the wheel.     Check for clearance there.
This will be the bottom bolt on your bracket to caliper mount...

Also check the top bracket to caliper bolts.
If you put too long of bolts there, you may have gotten against the rotor and possibly warped it.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:54:35 pm by connie_rider »

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 06:31:54 pm »
^ very good point. try to add a thin washer to step bolt out see if it clears up.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 01:48:47 pm »
Spin the wheel to where it gets held up, using a marker, make a small Mark on both rotors near the where the caliper is. Now spin the wheel past the area of drag and make a mark on the rotor near the caliper. Taking the marker make some radial lines on the rotor from below the area that the pad hits all the way to the outside surface of the rotor and continue down the inside pad hitting surface of the rotor. Do this line on both rotors. I would do maybe 3 lines on each rotor, 1st one where the drag starts, 2nd in the middle of the drag area and the last just before the drag releases.

I asked in an earlier response if your rotor braking surface where your old pad setup hits the rotor had taken material off the rotor and now you have a raised area on the rotor surface, either near the outside or inside diameter of the rotor or both.
 If you make these marker lines past the worn pad area and the OD of the rotor and back down the inside of the rotor, this will help see where your pads are dragging. Look at the lines after one spin but it may take a couple of spins to wear enough of the marker to see a rub.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim