Author Topic: New (to me) 2006 Concours  (Read 166 times)

Offline Mick

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New (to me) 2006 Concours
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:54 pm »
Hey yall.  Mick here in hazy California.

My Father-in-Law is letting me use his 2006 Concours *once* we get it fixed up.  Hey purchased new in 2006 and has been religious about maintenance until it was parked in a storage unit in 2012...

We pulled the gas tank today only to find it coated in rust on the inside.  Will be ordering new petcock because the filter is toast and the unit itself feels like it needs to be rebuilt ($95) for new in box Kawasaki part. 

I have emailed Steve because I have a sinking feeling about the carbs with how the gas tank looked.  I stuck a new battery on the terminals and electronics seem good, starter sounds strong.  The bike had 71K miles when the spedo broke, we have another one off of a different bike that reads 38K - so that'll go on soon.

Anything else I am missing?  I am planning on doing kerosene and some 3/8 washers in the tank to get the rust free.  The fuel level sensor looks kind of rough, but couldn't find a replacement part yet, so I will probably just clean it up.  My FiL said it was working when he parked it.

Looking forward to getting the bike running and would love any advise or feedback...

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: New (to me) 2006 Concours
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:34:18 pm »
Welcome. Too bad the bike was not properly stored. A simple coating the tank with motor oil would have prevented this. You certainly need to take care of the rust. That will mess up your carbs over and over again. Some guys have had luck using kreem or por15. I have seen a few people whose coating didn't stay.

Change all fluids in the bike, check the tires for cracks and air filter and wires for mice activity.

Offline Mick

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:17:36 am »
Yeah, rust is priority #1.  Then worried about the carbs - is Steve still on here / rebuilding carbs?

Then new tires...happy to take recommendations on those.

Brakes are good, just going to flush fluid.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:14:53 am »
Steve is the guy to go to for carb service as his site is named shoudaben, the carbs are set up better than when it rolled out of the factory new, the 3500rpm stumble is gone.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/products-and-pricing
Check Steve's YouTube post on carb removal, makes the job a piece of cake.
Make sure you get the tank clean, new fuel line and consider adding a NAPA 3006 inline fuel filter to make sure those carbs stay clean. Murphkits has the fuel line and has fast free delivery.
https://www.murphskits.com/index.php?cPath=1
Find out when the valves were last adjusted.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:18:13 am by Bob_C_CT, Reason: Added Murphkits URL »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:42 pm »
Get yourself some EvapoRust. It will clean your tank like brand new, way better than kerosene and washers and it won't hurt anything. Dump a gallon or two in the tank, every day rotate it to a new spot. In a few days it will be clean. Rinse with water and then kerosene. The stuff costs too much($23 a gal.) to fill the tank all the way but it will still be good to clean the rust off of a bunch more stuff.
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike