Author Topic: New carb problem  (Read 885 times)

Offline david

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New carb problem
« on: April 15, 2019, 11:44:59 pm »
We finally got the carbs to stop leaking, my problem now is at around 4200rpm.   She just flattens out on me,  she won’t go over about 72mph.   Any guesses

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New carb problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 12:12:22 am »
Sounds like the carbs aren't right.  This would be the reason some folks send their carbs to SISF.  Lots less frustration.  Just make sure the tank is squeaky clean so those fresh carbs don't get corrupted.  HTH :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:14:02 am »
bowl float valves are leaking, which is why the original problem occurred.. rectify it immediatly, do not use "prime' function on petcock...
excessive fuel is being delivered by the floats.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 12:44:18 am »
I have the overflow tubes. So if the float valves are dumping to much fuel would I not have some overflow

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:41:26 pm »
There is more than one thing that this could be. Some details relating to the history of the bike and the carbbies would be most helpful to help us to help you get this figured out.

But yeah, a trip for the carbbies to the newly relocated(ing) spa at Shoodaben would seem to be the easiest and best way of getting carbbies that work correctly. (Not knowing your level of expertise)

Sounds like they have already been at the old spa. You may want to send them to check out the new digs.

:beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:47 pm »
is it specifically rpm related and not necessarily throttle position related?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:21 pm »
So when did these carbs last get rebuilt or serviced . How old is your fuel?
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 07:10:29 pm »
bowl float valves are leaking, which is why the original problem occurred.. rectify it immediatly, do not use "prime' function on petcock...
excessive fuel is being delivered by the floats.

when I made that comment, I had not gone back and read all the posts you made with reference to what you actually did to the carbs... I'm sorry, my fault....

I have the overflow tubes. So if the float valves are dumping to much fuel would I not have some overflow

well, if float needles are now sealing, no... it wouldn't "leak" without the bike running, and in fact they could still leak, but it's sucked into the intake tract when under full acceleration... but then the opposite may be occurring also...

now, after reading more, you mentioned you had new float needles; which I presume you installed to cure the "leaking", but those may not have been adjusted correctly, and fuel supply may be getting cut off, prior to reaching the correct fill level to be delivered "under load", the new needles have new/different springs on the plunger pin, thus they must be adjusted accordingly to allow the correct fuel into the bowls.

you also mentioned a "90* fuel filter", which many times causes a fuel line kink, I don't believe in them myself, and they tend to cause issues with line pinch and fuel delivery as a result..

there are a lot of things SISF and I have seen and pretty much accommodate for when we do carbs, that's why it's so difficult to give verbally, the "only" cure, when they are not sitting in front of us, and we have run down all of the "checklist" things we do, during a service.

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 11:43:10 pm »
First thing. Thankyou everyone for your help,  I allways seem to forget something,  let’s see. I cleaned the tank really well,   Ended up using a paper filter,  not 90 degree,    I am using to clear paper filter to check my tank cleaning.     I think the carbs have had some modifications, and it’s hard to find baseline to start with.    I rode the old girl today, the one think I figured out is,         That you have to roll on the throttle slowly,  and she won’t cut out,   If you stab at the throttle she’ll bog at almost any RPM,    And at 4-4200 rpm even easing on she fells like pulling a parachute,    I hope some of that crazy rambling makes. Since

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:42:51 am »
First thing. Thankyou everyone for your help,  I allways seem to forget something,  let’s see. I cleaned the tank really well,   Ended up using a paper filter,  not 90 degree,    I am using to clear paper filter to check my tank cleaning.     I think the carbs have had some modifications, and it’s hard to find baseline to start with.    I rode the old girl today, the one think I figured out is,         That you have to roll on the throttle slowly,  and she won’t cut out,   If you stab at the throttle she’ll bog at almost any RPM,    And at 4-4200 rpm even easing on she fells like pulling a parachute,    I hope some of that crazy rambling makes. Since

ok.. somewhere something got lost...

i have replaced all fuel lines, and im putting everything back together with the 90 degree fuel filter,   tank has ben flushed, petcock rebuilt, carb rebuilt, new fuel lines, new fuel filter. if this doesn't work its punt or sale

so I can't help much.

sorry. If Steve worked over your carbs, and you did not introduce any contaminants into the fuel flow during your "fuel line replacements" like particulate matter from the hoses..
his work should hold well... ain't saying for how long, depending on the sitting time of the carbs after his services.. nor on what went into the tank.

you need a manual, but moreso, need to follow it.. here. see pictures.

pictures below... you have to realize just how much people charge, for what you are now getting for free..... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X and none of us get paid for this free stuff. Just saying.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:07:30 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »
seems the 4200 rpm is consistent with power loss regardless of throttle postion. might want to consider possible ignition issue. .02

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »
I have wonderd if I was maybe having a ignition problem, to be honest I maybe looking at multi problems,   Yes the PO did send the carbs to steve,   and yes the bike sat for more the 3 yrs,   but they have been cleaned, and floats set, and synched,   they have some shims, tubes and other things done,  we are setting everthing according to the manual,   but with the things that have been done im not sure that factory is the right settings.   
      I did want to say that even with the girl not running well, and having to short shift,    I truly see why these bikes are beloved for what they are, I could see a nice long relationship with this or some otherC10 with maybe lower miles being a long one     

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 01:33:39 pm »
 or I may just try to find a clean used set of carbs to buy, and try to get back to stock

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 02:37:07 pm »
It's one of the two following things. well, maybe both.

1) if when working on the carbs you set the float height high enough to stop the overflowing , you may well have set the height to the point that fuel can't fill the bowl as fast as it needs to.

2) If the carbs have my jet kit and the foam block isn't in the intake, it will do the same thing.

HTH, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:12:55 pm »
Any possiblity anyone has a picture of the foam blocks,   The PO.  has moved away and no longer has the same number,  but the carbs sure look like they have been to you, and running some of your items

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »
Watch steve's carb videos!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 04:05:27 pm »
  Here is the video. foam block is near the end. Watch the whole video about the airbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AnFlW9Bw8k&feature=context-cha
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 04:07:41 pm »
Ok i know have my foam block. In place.  Standing still  the throttle response is so much better,   I’m stuck at work absolutely go nuts to ride and see.     

Online Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 05:01:23 pm »
An over-lean condition (air leak) will cause the same symptoms you are getting, are all your vacuum hoses accounted for.
Are you missing any vacuum hoses or caps on the top of each of the carbs?
Air filter box to carb boots are attached all the way around on the carbs (easy to pinch one) and are not cracked?
I wouldn't think a cracked air filter box would cause this degree of problems but worth looking at with a flashlight inside of it and looking for escaping light on the outside bottom front.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 05:04:27 pm »
Ok i know have my foam block. In place.  Standing still  the throttle response is so much better,   I’m stuck at work absolutely go nuts to ride and see.     

Anxious to hear about your ride home.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline david

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 09:24:37 pm »
That was it   A Free piece of foam.  She runs outstanding in every RPM.        I’m so excited and slightly embarrassed,   But the old girls ready 73000 Miles and all

Online Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 10:46:23 pm »
Nice, remind me not to take that foam out, lol.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 10:47:06 pm »
That was it   A Free piece of foam.  She runs outstanding in every RPM.        I’m so excited and slightly embarrassed,   But the old girls ready 73000 Miles and all

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

It's one of the two following things. well, maybe both.

1) if when working on the carbs you set the float height high enough to stop the overflowing , you may well have set the height to the point that fuel can't fill the bowl as fast as it needs to.

2) If the carbs have my jet kit and the foam block isn't in the intake, it will do the same thing.

HTH, Steve

welcome back BUBBA... don't move again for a couple years, ok?...
this is a tough crowd, I need to "retire" from "retirement"... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana: >:( >:( :-X :-X

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 11:11:47 pm »

My c-10 went over a quarter million miles until it got smashed, so yours should be good for a while. 

Have fun!!!
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 05:42:46 pm »
so the foam block got dislodged and that was the issue. wow.

glad you found it.  :motonoises: :great: