Author Topic: New Forum Member  (Read 284 times)

Offline Fox

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New Forum Member
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:58:23 pm »
Hi guys.  New forum member doing research and looking to purchase a C-10 (2001).  I had cancer, sold my Goldwing, was cured of cancer, now looking for my next used bike.   Read about the Hydro-lock issue and how to check the bike to see if it has happened.  My question, is can you tell by listening to the bike idle and reviving?  Would you buy a ebay C-10 without checking it out?

CB 550 K
Passport 70
Hon 200
Hon 400
KZ 650
550 Seca
750 Seca
FZ 750
FJR 1300 (05)
FJR 1300 (10)
Goldwing (10)

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:02:10 pm »
there is no way to know, without physically doing the piston height comparison, sorry.
You can't tell from revving, or sound, it's just not viable as an indicator.

I personally wouldn't buy an ebay find, unless I had a written agreement from the seller, tht once the bike is home, and in my garage, and I examine it by the means outlined for piston height comparo, that if I did find the engine was compromised, it would be returned as purchased, and my full purchase price remitted back to me, within a 'set period of time'...

it's a difficult thing, I know, and a long distance sale is almost impossible to accomplish that on...

best bet is to find someone local to you, experienced in the bike, and get a second opinion on the spot of purchase.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 03:46:03 am »
  What MOB said. Here is a video that helps some .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&feature=plcp

Might watch Steve's other videos. He knows C10s for sure!! :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 04:55:21 am »
bahahahaha. Good luck on that MOB. If some local guy came to me and asked to open up my bike for a rod test before purchase I would tell him to go fish. I am never letting some yahoo off the street open up my bike no matter the reason. And if some dude on ebay told me what you said below I would tell him to go eat bagels.

To the OP, I would not recommend buying a bike sight unseen and if you are worried about hydrolock try to make it worth his while to do a test. Perhaps agree to buy it at a fair price contingent on his bike passing the test. This would still not work with me but you can try.

{MODERATED POST}

I personally wouldn't buy an ebay find, unless I had a written agreement from the seller, tht once the bike is home, and in my garage, and I examine it by the means outlined for piston height comparo, that if I did find the engine was compromised, it would be returned as purchased, and my full purchase price remitted back to me, within a 'set period of time'...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:15:03 pm by kv5e, Reason: Trying to bypass the naughty word filter »

Offline Fox

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:03:00 am »
Thanks guys.  I'll make a point to see the bike in person.  Never worried about hydro lock before, but so much talk bout it on the C-10 thought I'd ask the question.   Possibly arrange for a shop to look at it before purchase.  Thanks again.  Still Shopping.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 12:47:28 pm »
  The Concours is not the only motorcycle that is subject to hydrolock. It's just we have a LOT of them and they show up in our forum. It happens to other motorcycles also but with our forum we tend to scare the hell out of a lot of prospective buyers. We know about it and take measures to avoid it. :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc