Author Topic: New member quick question  (Read 744 times)

Offline Birdlegs

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New member quick question
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:58:24 pm »
Looking at a clean 2006 Concourse tonight, 75,000 miles $1,500.. is that fair? (Owner is likely reading this tonight also LOL..)

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: New member quick question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:04:57 pm »
depends on extras and overall condition.  I'd want it to be well maintained and in clean condition, no broken parts.  everything in place where it should be.  should have a few extras like trunk, peg lowers, risers, taller screen, maybe carb overflow tubes.  not necessarily all, but there should be something to help the resale price.

one thing to consider is the carbs.  I had Steve In Sunny Florida do a rebuild on mine.  Mine is at 75k.  there are wear parts in the carbs that were pretty much worn out.  it'll cost you close to $500 to do this, but he does excellent work at a very good price.

do you have any particulars on the bike?
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • COG#: 11628
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:16:05 pm »
Makes me regret spending 5500 on my 06  :( Just further proves I will never sell it, because it aint worth $hit!

Haha that was 4 years and 20k miles ago though lol.

Sounds like a damn good deal to be honest....75k is a lot of miles at face value, but every knows it's not. I say go for it. I just got a 02 with 48k last weekend for 1200....so it sounds in line.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline ZX6Rob

• Bicycle
  • My Ninja's not fat, she's just big-framed.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11813
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »
From what I've seen, $1,500 is pretty close to the ceiling of value for these bikes, possibly barring some extremely pampered, low-mileage examples.  Given the mileage (which isn't excessive, honestly), I'd definitely get the low-down on how it's been maintained, make sure that it starts quickly and runs without any hitches, and that all the basics (oil, tires, etc.) have been looked after.  You may also want to inquire ahead of time if there's been any changes to things like the carburetors or camshafts, just to know what you're getting into -- I think people more often than not don't know what they're doing when they re-jet for "more power" or whatever they're doing it for, and you end up with a rough-running or recalcitrant bike.  Common wear items such as the suspension components are probably close to needing a replacement by 75,000 miles, so I'd also ask if those have been replaced or refurbished at any point -- that can end up being a pretty expensive job if you go for all new bits and can't or don't want to do the labor yourself (for which I wouldn't blame you -- suspension work on any fully-faired bike is a pain in the rear).

I bought my bike from a dealer in 2013 for $4,125 (which was way overpaying for what it was probably actually worth), and I've ended up spending a pretty penny since then fixing the stuff the previous owner broke, as well as taking care of things that just got old or worn out.  $1,500 is a good price for a Connie in "Good" to edging on "Very Good" condition, but with any bike this old, you'll probably want to be ready to shell out a bit more to sand off the edges of a diamond in the rough.

Don't let that hold you back from pulling the trigger, though!  A $1,500 Connie with $1,000 in improvements and fixes is still a great value for a machine that will last another 100,000 miles with regular maintenance and carry you from one side of the continental U.S. to the other without complaint!
motorcycle, n. (mō'-dər-sīk-(ə)l) - 1. A large, leaky container of various dangerous, viscous, and difficult-to-clean fluids.

2001 ZG1000 Concours

Offline Wizeguy

• Road Bike
  • Closet Hooligan
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12487
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:22:48 pm »
If it's the one I see listed just south of a certain MO city, I wouldn't hesitate for a second if it runs decent.
Mike B / Seatac, Washington
1989 C10 "Gigi"
Former COG#6624

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:56:25 pm »
You can get one with much lower miles for about 2k tops.

Offer him less than 1000 then perhaps settle at 1000.

Offline Birdlegs

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:57:23 pm »
Its in good shape,.. looks like at one point it was either gently laid down or dropped sitting still/ nothing worth getting into,..

Sounds like he has let the fuel sour and it may have fouled one spark plug..

I need to research it a bit/ says his bottom dollar is $1,300.. i have been here before though,.. a "bargain" can bite you in the a** fairly quickly.

Online strum

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 02:11:45 pm »
 I cant see $1,300 being a bad deal.  If he is reading this then he must be a member and knows a thing or two about connies.
  Fuel sour and a fouled plug?
   Read up on hydro lock.
  Sounds like it'll need carb work.
   Read up on hydro lock.
   Maybe you can find a member in your area that will go look at it with you. That would be the best thing you could do.
   Oh and read up on hydro lock

2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Racer17

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:44:20 pm »
i gave $4000 for my '06 about a year ago.  showroom stock condition with only handlebar risers, tank protector and foam grips added.  it was serviced(carbs and oil) by a dealer right before i got it and with only 2400 miles on it, i thought it was a good deal.  it looks like a new bike.

$1300 does not sound out of line for a well maintained 75k bike....even if it needs a little maintenance.

Online ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9812
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 05:55:51 pm »
If he is a member and is asking $1300 it should be a great deal. Ask him if it has ever had carb issues.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Bocajnala

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:46 pm »
I got my 95 with 25K miles for $1300 a few months ago. It was in pretty good shape with a few cosmetic dings. Had the SISF carbs done. I've put  a rear trunk on it and about 3k miles since then. At $1500 I'd want it to be in nice shape. If it's been maintained the miles aren't a worry. But look it over good.
-Jake

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12:32 pm »
$1500 for an 06 is cheap, IMHO.  If the 75k bike has been cared for, I'd say go for it.  I sure won't sell my 06 for that price and it may not be as slick cosmetically. 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »
   What Rev said. I would not sell my 06 with 122K on it because it's a fine running good looking reliable bike. I wish I could buy another new one for $7800.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Bocajnala

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:15:57 pm »
   What Rev said. I would not sell my 06 with 122K on it because it's a fine running good looking reliable bike. I wish I could buy another new one for $7800.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Is that what it sold for in '06? Did you buy yours new?
-Jake

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 02:28:27 am »

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Is that what it sold for in '06? Did you buy yours new?
-Jake
I think MSRP was a little over $8k in 06.  I guess I've had mine (my 06 model) 5 years now and pretty much use it as a backup mule to my other Connies (86 and 2000 models).  It's unmolested (though sometimes neglected for long periods) and is always able to go on a day's notice with a dash of maintenance or clean-up.  I'll probably sell her soon as I just bought a 2015 and need to clear some space for it... but it won't be for $1500 I'm sure. Nope. No way.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:22:58 am »
Sorry for the confusion-my fault. List price on the 06 was $8299. I paid $7800 plus tax for the bike brand new.

Tom Taylor COG#7173