Author Topic: new owner fuel problems  (Read 5024 times)

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11785
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: new owner fuel problems
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 09:57:33 am »
every journey starts with a single step. If I can do it, anyone can. give it another go, but pay attention to the little stuff an be careful not to damage anything.  :great:  Steve

I' m confused. Just read the thread and normally there is really good info available here but I can not for the life of me figure how the above statement would qualify as "drum up" business? Can someone trouble shoot this for me please.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  jeesh
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 03:41:00 pm »
Let me add to the chaos: Broken return throttle cable? Broken-missing spring?
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 08:07:18 pm »
    So let me respond.

I was doing various concours upgrade work for years before I was asked to be the Tech Editor for COG.  I had previously slipped through the cracks because there's a rule that officers can't make any money from their position as a COG officer, and that it could be seen that the money I make working on Concours could conflict with that rule. But alas, COG scraped the bottom of the barrel, decided the rule didn't apply to me, with the caveat that I don't solicit work on the forums, so I don't. And yes, sometimes I'm cryptic in my posting because of that, but I fulfil the "warm body" part of the job description, so there is that.  ;)

If you notice, I have never posted that you have to send your carbs to me... but many others here do post that, because I've done their carbs and they can speak from experience.

I have however, posted many times that the most expensive carbs I fix are those "fixed" by an owner trying to save money. When I say stuff like "guitar strings and carb cleaner have messed up more carbs than I've fixed" it's not because there a problem with using guitar strings and carb cleaner, it's because misapplied, the results are permanent damage to your carbs, despite how well it was outlined in Rich's carb cleaning article.

One thing I've learned in all the sales I've made is that most men are just like me... they read the directions after  they've messed up. That in mind, I've seen carbs messed up in ways I can't even fathom, or you would have ever imagined. I've seen carbs completely destroyed because of overtightened pilot screws blowing out the venturii's. . Carbs with 2,3,4 of the slide diaphrames destroyed  because the guy didn't know how to set the diaphram. Or diaphrams almost melted to jelly because the guy didn't know you can't get carb cleaner on the diaphrams. Diaphrams that cost 110.00 each to replace... yes those diaphrams. Bowl screws driven in to the point of cracking the bowls... should I continue?

Oaxaca you may think my posts are "garbage" but my posts are completely truthful and express my own experiences of 10 years working on  and owning concours. You've sidestepped the fact that my upgrades work better than any factory jetting or the usefulness of adding overflow tubes to your carbs and distilled it to being we're all equal in our abilities here. Let me respond to you this way... I'm not a carpenter, or a surgeon, or a banker. I'm not good at those things, though some here may be good at those things. I'm a mechanic, and good at what I do. i will let my body of work over the years speak for me, and other concours owners will judge whether or not money spent with me is well spent or not.

Let me ask you this, will you do what you do for a living free for me? will you teach me all the tricks it took you years to learn to make you good at what you do? Will you work for free because someone else thinks you should or are you going to hold something back because it's what makes your work valuable and sought after?

No?  Then why do you ask that of me?

Hopefully now you understand the cryptic nature of my posts. Also understand that after having done over 500 sets of concours carbs I know all the little places to pay attention to, and frankly it's what sets my work apart from anyone elses. It is part of what makes my work valuable, and no, I'm not going to "open source" it, so cryptic is the best you're gonna get.

Oh, and BTW, Man of Blues is a past Technical Editor. He wront the article we're talking about the "carbs, it ain't a diet thang" article . He's also cryptic, but he knows the c-10 and is a wealth of information, some of which I'm sure your benefited from.

OK, hopefully you understand me better. Now I have to go back to not talking about what I do so I can keep my unpaid position  :-[... Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »
thank you Steve.

Oax,
I never used the phrase "bad gas", read and note closely my words were "contaminated fuel"....
the "bad gas" was a direct quote from the o/p's posting, which I highlighted in my response. I think he knows what he did, and realized it in hindsight.
with that said, any "questionable fuel" has the opportunity to muck up a perfect set of carbs, especially if the contaminats are water, or waterbourn minute rust particles...

you really should not blast the people that have been assisting this group, for free, on a daily basis for many years.
we can all be wrong, and when we are we admit it, but when we have seen the same occurance litterally hundreds of times over a 13 year or more period, we get a little miffed when we are snubbed. We also try to wade thru all the misnomer advice or conjecture, because a lot of responses here are simply tossed out without firsthand knowledge of frequency and result.

sorry if I got yer hackles up, but frankly I don't charge for my opinions.
and I've fixed a couple Concours' in the past..... a couple.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 12:26:41 am »

We also try to wade thru all the misnomer advice or conjecture, because a lot of responses here are simply tossed out without firsthand knowledge of frequency and result.

Sad to say, but this quote is 110% accurate. The end result is someone looking for help ends up  falling for bad information. Often times bad information gets regurgitated again and again, til someone comes along and kills it.  Counter balancer shaft adjustment for vibration reduction comes to mind  - i think that went on for years, it was even published in chalkdust, but nobody ever questioned it.  ???  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline PaulP

• Software Engineer
  • Street Cruiser
  • An armed society is a polite society.
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 12:33:48 am »
I have to disagree with oaxaca here. We are not all capable of fixing everything that can go wrong on our machines. I knew that working on CV carbs was way over my head, so I sent them to an expert. But if I had to, I could easily rebuild the jbox. Hell, I could probably improve it. Different sets of skills. A man's gotta know his limitations, sez Dirty Harry. And he's right.

I suspect that oaxaca is mechanically inclined and has a lot of experience working on motorcycles, so he thinks it's not that hard. Everybody should be able to do it, right? Wrong. Just like any group, the people here represent a broad range of capabilities. Must of us can change the oil, but few can rebuild CV carbs, just like few can rebuild the jbox. If you find something that is beyond your ability to fix, then it would be smart to have someone else do it. And it would be even smarter it that someone had lots of experience at that task. I wonder of oaxaca fixes his own computer when it stops working...or does he bring it in to an expert?  :-\
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:35:43 pm by PaulP, Reason: fix minor grammar issues »
Current: 2006 Concours (Connie Mae)
Previous: 1988 K100LT, 1982 GPZ550

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 03:57:06 am »
There is an easy solution to this problem. First, pull the carbs off. Second, send them to Steve.
Third, get them back re-install and problem solved. See that was easy.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 03:52:38 pm »
There is an easy solution to this problem. First, pull the carbs off. Second, send them to Steve.
Third, get them back re-install and problem solved. See that was easy.
  Worked for me !! :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Spanner

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12361
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 03:22:29 am »
Wow !.. I know I'm a complete nubie here but could we get back to trying to actually help this OP ?

If you did not unscrew the slow and main jets and the main jet emulsion tube then the carb cleaning you have done is not affective . You must take those pieces out and verify they are clear thru' and the emulsion holes ( side holes ) are clear. If the emulsion holes in the slow and main jets are blocked, then the 'solid' gas being pulled out of the slow jet may easily be enough to cause the engine to race even with the slides bottomed out ( idle ). I have seen that condition several times on bikes. :(