Author Topic: New owner jitters  (Read 569 times)

Offline sinthome

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New owner jitters
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »
Hey what's up y'all. I got me a 1992 ZG1000 that looks to be in pretty good shape, fingers crossed. This is only my second motorcycle after a long hiatus of around 8 years. My first bike was a 1982 Yamaha Maxim, which I commuted on for about a year before needing to sell it.

So I rode the Connie the hour drive home and narrowly avoided a thunder storm, all good! I am noticing a few things though. There are some spacer blocks installed to lift the handlebars. I'd like to remove them but the long bolts threaded through them are really siezed up. It seems like the throttle cable has some extra slack in it, so the throttle handle travels about a half inch before starting to rev. I'm not sure how to tighten it. Also definitely need some new grips to replace this foam. The front fork seems too soft, the lightest touch of the brake makes the front end do a nose dive. While I wait for the pb blaster to penetrate these stuck bolts, I thought I'd say my hello and start to try and familiarize myself with this forum.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:44:20 pm by sinthome, Reason: Typo »

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
  • COG#: 4879
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New owner jitters
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:06:26 pm »
Welcome to the COG forum. There is a lot of information to be gleaned from this site! The members are more than willing to help you in most any area of repair. Make sure you get a factory repair manual as well as the Clymer manual, both available on eBay. I suggest you become a paid COG member, you will have access to more technical material than just forum subscribers. A lot of people would disagree with me. IMO, I think it is worth the money. Your decision. Spend time reading and researching here. You will hear a lot about hydrolock on the C-10’s. I have owned 3 of them and not had the problem, however, when I had my carbs rebuilt by Steve in Sunny Florida I had him put the overflow tubes in them. BTW, if he recommends something, listen to him, he knows the Connie inside and out. He has a lot of youtube videos on maintenance and repairs that are great.
Blessings and ride safe.
Donald  :great:
Vintage43

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:32:17 pm »
Welcome!
The 92 has air assisted forks. (bad)  Best cheap thing to do is straight rate springs for your weight.  There are cheap knock off cartridge emulators that can be had for under $50.  Flush the front and rear brakes with fresh fluid.  Final drive oil change.  Do NOT spin the rear wheel when refilling.  Fill to the bottom of the hole.  Overfilling is BAD.  Coolant flush and change. Clean the fins of the radiator.  As for the throttle cable, there is an adjuster just below the right hand controls that has a little round lock nut.  Take out some slack until you are satisfied with it.  Turn the handlebars left and right to make sure you have enough slack.  Join COG as a paying member and show your support for the best motorcycle club anywhere.  You will get more than your moneys worth from your membership, just in the advice you get from folks that know these inside and out on the forum is worth it alone.  Paying members get a members book that is full of people that would go out of their way to help you if you have troubles on the road.  It's really a deal!  Go through the owners manual and do every bit of maintenance you can find and your Connie will be around for a long time!  We're here to help!  Welcome! :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:42:15 pm »
Yep the factory front shocks dive purdy good, but it's a comfy ride.  As stated above,
straight rate springs are a good option.  Some folks have cut their OEM springs, and installed
a spacer....  Both will stiffen the front end.

Take a good look at the throttle assembly, there's two cables.  There's a thumbwheel thiggy you can
you to take up slack on one of them...  That should do it.

Enjoy your Concours!  Great bike, awesome weather protection...   :motonoises:
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 02:54:12 pm »
Back brake only if you have the handlebars turned at low speeds. Easiest way to drop a Connie is while parking so stay off that front brake.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
 Welcome. good luck on your ride, have to agree with PBfoot. :great:

Offline AriBklyn

• Got Mule?
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10574
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 06:18:53 pm »
Check out Murphskits.com He has everything for your Connie, including great grips!! 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:31 pm »
Hey what's up y'all. I got me a 1992 ZG1000 that looks to be in pretty good shape, fingers crossed. This is only my second motorcycle after a long hiatus of around 8 years. My first bike was a 1982 Yamaha Maxim, which I commuted on for about a year before needing to sell it.

So I rode the Connie the hour drive home and narrowly avoided a thunder storm, all good! I am noticing a few things though. There are some spacer blocks installed to lift the handlebars. I'd like to remove them but the long bolts threaded through them are really siezed up. It seems like the throttle cable has some extra slack in it, so the throttle handle travels about a half inch before starting to rev. I'm not sure how to tighten it. Also definitely need some new grips to replace this foam. The front fork seems too soft, the lightest touch of the brake makes the front end do a nose dive. While I wait for the pb blaster to penetrate these stuck bolts, I thought I'd say my hello and start to try and familiarize myself with this forum.

your nose dive is probably due to zero air in the forks, r/h top has a fitting, and you can only apply 7 psi, via a hand pump, to use the air assist function.
lowest price "fix' is the "Progressive springs" replacement springs, this is from Murph's kits, and runs around $75, i don't know of any emulators being that low in price...
The spring kit does away with the need to pressurize the forks with air. And the result is longevity of the fork seals now that air is not part of the suspension, oil in the foks should be changed also during this re-furb, consult the FSM for the pre 94 bikes method, and quantity of oil used, and how to measure it properly.. do not mistake post '94 methods for use in setting oil level on your '92.
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_97&products_id=52&osCsid=Nt2zN5BUsDURGoEAAVHIU1
Later, and further after you ride this bike, you may want to invest in upgrading the forks further, but for the initial investment, on a new to you bike, the Progressives will result in a much better feel.. I still run them, and have not found them lacking anything for the expense.. and I'm not dumping $200 + on forks, for my '88.. I have a c14 that I ride also.. the old bike is just a nostalgic toy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:34:01 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 10:03:08 pm »
I strongly suggest that you follow MOB's advice. You'll not find many folks with a more in-depth knowledge of the Concours models. :great:
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 08:58:21 pm »
Give those bar risers a chance for a while. Most folks add them and for good reason.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 01:03:55 am »
Seems like the majority of these come with 2 inch bar risers and peg lowering kits that were installed by a previous owner, they open up the riding position so your average 6 foot American male can ride without being cramped up.

My 98 came with bar risers, peg lowering and a Cee Bailey windshield. The peg lowering brackets were later removed after being damaged in drops. (yes, they happen)
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Bocajnala

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 05:08:14 am »
I like my bar risers. As mentioned, most get installed for a reason!

-Jake

Offline Stealth Connie

• Bicycle
    • Don B Waln Facebook
  • COG#: 8503
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 10:03:27 am »
#1 - Research HYDROLOCK..... Make sure you understand how it happens and what to watch for (and how you can prevent it).

While you are working on the front end, double check your headstem bearing. (with hands barely holding bars, hit high rpms and then let off throttle (hard decel) if you have wobble in the bars, the bearing is loose). 2 out of my 3 Connies needed the bearing tightened up when I bought them.

Do you plan on doing most of the Maintenance on this bike yourself? This is hands down the best owners site for tech info in the motorcycle community. Maybe a handful of smart@$$s out there, but for the most part, COG is a GREAT group. Highly Tech savvy, experienced, and willing to walk you through almost anything you'll come across.

The best part is, the C10 has been around for 30+ years. There is NOTHING you'll come across that someone else hasn't already experienced, diagnosed, and solved.

97 Concours Stealth Connie - RIP
98 Concours Mean Green - RIP
98 Concours Black Stallion - Current bike