Author Topic: Ninja Edition project  (Read 569 times)

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Ninja Edition project
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 07:17:39 pm »
you had a 3 into one on an H2 with a supertrapp? thats just sacrilege on so many levels.  >:(

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:12 pm »
you had a 3 into one on an H2 with a supertrapp? thats just sacrilege on so many levels.  >:(

in my mind, I could never see that ever working at all...  ::) ::) :-X

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline batboy

• Moped
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:07 pm »
MOB, I knew Supertrapp had bought out Kerker. Jardine too? Another reason to avoid Supertrapp, they apparently have gotten popular with the Harley Davidson crowd.

m in sc, I didn't have the triple, my brother did. That thing was crazy fast back in those days, until the middle piston let go. I never liked the narrow power range of 2 cycle engines.

I figured out how to make new fairing mounts with some sturdy tubing (that stumbling block had me stumped for a while). I also needed to get some bits and pieces of flat stock to make my offset brackets, so I run to town. While in town, I got the wideband bung welded onto the Kerker mid pipe. I had prepped the pipe by drilling a hole and then I shaped one end of the bung with a Dremel tool to fit the curve of the pipe perfectly. The shop that welded it didn't even charge me. He said all the hard work was done and it only took him a minute to weld it. Cool.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 10:27:16 am »
um.. the wideband needs to be in the actual exhaust flow to read correctly.

Offline batboy

• Moped
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 11:53:44 am »
Good point. Yes, the tip of the wideband sensor barely sticks out into the exhaust flow. The wideband sensor a bit longer than a typical narrow band O2 sensor. The bung I used was included in the kit and is the correct length for the sensor. According to the instructions: "A 1" bung (provided in the kit) will best protect the sensor."

I got the bright idea to leave the radiator stay as is and see if things will work. I made the upper off-set brackets and trial fitted them using the current 2 inch gap at the top. But, configured like that the radiator won't fit right and the top hose would need to be longer. Somehow, I need to close the gap down to 1 inch to match the bottom mount. This will not be easy and there is no guarantee the radiator will fit. I'm entirely within the realm of trial and error at this point. But, I'm very persistent (some say stubborn), so I'll keep plugging away at it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:14:30 pm by batboy »

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 12:58:25 pm »
what i mean is, theres no real consistent flow across the crossover. it should be right at the final collector. look where factories put them. .02

*edit. i thought it was the crossover. never mind.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:42:17 pm by m in sc »

Offline batboy

• Moped
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 01:55:50 pm »
Ok, I see what you mean now. If you're talking about a crossover pipe like the stock exhaust has, then I agree with you. The stocker is a 4 into 2 system with a crossover pipe connecting the two sides. However, with this exhaust system I'm installing, the pipe under the bike is technically not a crossover, it's half of the exhaust flow of the 4-2-1 header, so the sensor is basically downstream of the final 2 into 1 collector. I've seen wide bands put in locations I would not have picked. Sometimes it's a compromise. I picked the mid pipe for convenience's sake and there was not many other places that the back part of the sensor and wire would have enough room. Besides, a wide band on a carbureted engine is not going to be nearly as accurate as EFI. I'll be happy to just get a reasonable ballpark number. Like is it pig rich or is it "about" right or is it dangerously lean? If you get dynoed, they clamp the wide band sensor onto the end of the tailpipe. That's certainly less than ideal in my humble opinion.

Offline batboy

• Moped
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 05:36:02 pm »
I did some grinding and tweaking here and there on the radiator stay with some success. I moved the bottom in from 1" to 3/4" of a gap and moved the top in closer from 2-1/4" to 1.5". The radiator fits in there, but I might need to do some minor trimming of the main front fairing (almost unnoticeable). I'm not sure the upper hose will be long enough. I'll need to check clearance of the fender too.

I took a photo of the top offset bracket. I decided to keep it real simple. I cut the pieces out and took a grinder to it. Then, I found some leftover flat black spray paint and I shot a couple coats. Looks like I handled it before it was completely dry. This is all a trial mock up. I'll shoot another coat of paint on them before final assembly. Next up, I still have to make the lower offset brackets.

Please note, this will probably be my last update for the next 2-3 days. I'll be off the grid (camping).

Offline batboy

• Moped
« Reply #33 on: Today at 12:07:00 am »
I'm back home and put in a good day's work today. Got the bottom offset radiator stay brackets made and did a little fairing trimming. The radiator and oil cooler are officially bolted on. I ended up moving the stay forward 1.5" at the top and 0.75" at the bottom. Well, it took some head scratching and work, but I have the ZX1000A headers installed. Next up, I need to see if the radiator hoses are going to reach.

I tried thinking outside the box on this one. Others modified the part to fit the bike. I modified the bike to fit the part. I ordered a Delkevic 14" carbon fiber muffler. Should be here in a few days. I should have it back together by then.