Author Topic: Bag latch?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #0481 :-(
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10298
  • Membership Level: Active
Bag latch?
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
I've had a problem with one of my bag latches for the last year or so, where it won't lock anymore. Today I noticed that the other latch on the same bag has succumbed to the same problem.

I hit it with some dry lubricant after work tonight, but with no immediate change.

Anything I can do about this, or should I start looking around for a a replacement bag?
If you can't be a shining example, at least you can be a horrible warning.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
Re: Bag latch?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:30:19 am »
Latch can be replaced. Screws hold it on.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »
Had a similar issue with the latch that secures the bag to the bike, it is different than the other two latches on the bag.  Took the latch off and found that the "lock" piece (that rotates with the key and keeps the latch secure had bent forward from the correct position.  Used a punch and pressed it back into place and have had no problems since.

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:04:18 pm »
Had a similar issue with the latch that secures the bag to the bike, it is different than the other two latches on the bag.  Took the latch off and found that the "lock" piece (that rotates with the key and keeps the latch secure had bent forward from the correct position.  Used a punch and pressed it back into place and have had no problems since.

For the bag-to-antler latch, here's the permanent fix.  Pics below

2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:40:39 pm »

For the bag-to-antler latch, here's the permanent fix.  Pics below

Very nice.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:18:27 am »
Latch can be replaced. Screws hold it on.

Did some googling. New replacements run $75-$85 each. No latches alone available on ebay; best I could find was a sole bag, pretty beat up, being sold for $30. But no info on if the latches work or if it's keyed A or B.

Anyone ever do/see a write-up on this fix? I checked the tech pages but couldn't find anything.

I did come up with a cheap temporary fix until I can do a more permanent solution. I found some inexpensive luggage lash straps on Amazon for around $10, similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B017P5NMWU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

The strap's a bit long, but trimmed it up and it works fine to at least help ensure the bag doesn't pop open while I'm rolling down the road.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:19:47 am »
Latch will work if it is keyed A or B.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 01:21:39 am »
Latch will work if it is keyed A or B.

To clarify, all my latches work, they just don't lock. Since I regularly carry full sidebags, I always ride with at least 1 of the 2 latches locked.

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 01:41:37 am »
Jerry here,what key do you use,I'll trade you yours and $20 including postage for a locking latch.  The Wizard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:52:17 am by The Wizard »
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540