Author Topic: Not Sure What to do.....or even where to post  (Read 925 times)

Offline Justin

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Not Sure What to do.....or even where to post
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:31:47 pm »
Hey everyone, I joined this group when I first got my bike but I don't think I ever posted.

Fast forward some years. I've had the bike for 3 years now. Anyways I need some opinion.

My motorcycle was vandalized outside of my home, it was not insured at the time so the repairs are all on me. Both tires were stabbed with something, leaving several holes in the side walls, they won't even hold air for me to push the bike around, also the gas tank was stabbed with a knife and now has two lovely holes in it.

When I looked up prices for this stuff I was pretty heart broke to see my repairs would equal about what the bike is worth and certainly more than its worth in its current state.

Tires seem to run about $250 a piece plus install and balance. Is that accurate?
The gas tank seems to run around $400 painted to match. is that right also?

In this time I have become acquaintances with a custom bike builder, now he does mostly Harley type bikes but isn't afraid to tackle anything.

so my questions come down to this:

Should I repair back to stock $1000 or so, or should I sell it to one of you awesome folks for whatever it's worth, or should I go down a custom road and just pay whatever that number will be? I don't have some large working budget for custom work, I don't even have the money set aside to repair to stock.......

I miss riding tons, I'm just not sure what to do......what do yall think?

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Not Sure What to do.....or even where to post
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »
From what you've told us, seems like a simple fix.
But, it's hard to answer your question without some information..
I do know 1 thing; It will not being much money as it is now..

What year/condition is your bike?
What color is the bike?
Do you have any farkles on the bike?
How many miles are on the bike?
How many miles have you put on the existing tires?
ie: As you've had the bike 3 years and not changed tires, apparently you don't do many miles per year?

Can you do any of the work?
Riding style?  {Blitzer/cruiser/etc}

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:52:57 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 05:01:46 pm »
You can get Shinko's or Continental tires for a couple hundred a set. They'll differently get you going & do your shopping online. Depending on location & size of holes in tank, maybe they could be patched with JB weld or something similar. If not there are loads of tanks on ebay for $150.00 or less.

Where in the south central region are you? Find someone near you that can & is willing to help you. There are many of us on this forum that will assist you, happen to be in Arkansas?

Heck, even Ted will!  :nananana:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Justin

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:41:34 pm »
Hey, yea more info is always helpful. Sorry. So its a 2000 year model, overall it's in great condition, I bought it from an 80yr old man and the local Kawasaki shop knows the bike. I think, not confirmed, it was in a low-speed drop, the old man said something about a broken ankle and there is some damage on the same side of the bike. It's just shy of 18,000 miles. Overall it's really good looking for its age.

I live in the panhandle of Texas. We have a Kawasaki dealer in Amarillo but they will only mount tires purchased through them. The custom guy I met said he can mount tires and has a large selection to choose from.

I don't know what Farkles are.......
It's a red bike

The tires were pretty new when I got the bike, it was vandalized not long after I got it. But I live 45 miles from work so I was putting several hundred miles down a week on the bike, I had already been looking for new tires as the wear bars were getting close and a bit of a flat spot was forming.

My riding style was mostly just commuting to work and back and also relaxing rides around where I live on the weekends.

I'm not afraid to switch the gas tank, the tires/wheels on the other hand.......never done anything like that.

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 08:45:30 pm »
How large are the tank punctures? Since you have to remove it anyway if you replace it, just drain it, rinse it, ventilate it and see if a radiator shop will weld or braise the holes closed. I had that done to my 750 Turbo once and it worked fine.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Justin

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:20:32 pm »
Heres the damage to the tank. I hadn't looked at this in a while, I thought there were 2 complete holes, but it looks like its only 1 all the way through. I'm gonna keep looking and yall have given me the hope I need to just get this one going again.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 10:57:40 pm »
This needs to be moved to the C10 section.
If it hasn't sat around long enough to gum up the carbs, I'd say, go on ebay and buy a tank.  Buy a set of shinko 777's and go on with life.  Sounds like it was pretty close to needing a set of tires anyway.  Stuff happens.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:21:46 pm »
 Because you said; {I hadn't looked at this in a while}
                              Ho long is a while?????

I would remove, drain and flush out the tank, then "temporarily" repair the hole with JB Weld..
  NOTE: See Mike's note below. The JB Weld tank Sealer would be permanent patch...
{While your doing the JB, inspect the inside of the tank for heavy rust and report back here}.

If all is well, reinstall patched tank and see if the bike will crank and run ok.
Assuming it cranks; Next have tires installed. Prices vary based on brand. if you want better longevity, go to bias ply tires.
  NOTE: You would save a huge amount by removing the wheels and taking them to the shop yourself.

ASAP; DEcide if you want to buy an Ebay tank or buy from someone on the Forum.
           With luck you may be able to find one off of a 2000 and not have to paint it.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:40:10 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:24:24 pm »
Please read us your date code of those tires or send us the pictures and we will read them.  Below are the instructions on what to look for. They probably needed to be replaced anyway so the person who knifed your tires may have done you a huge favor (except for the tank)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqbvNhhulY4

You can just patch that gas tank hole for $11 and put a COG  sticker over it and go ride. Click on link below.

https://tinyurl.com/y35c2x9q

Where exactly are you that you cannot find someone to install tires for you?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:36:11 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Justin

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:01:01 pm »
Look at the date code on the bike after watching the video....going by the 6 years recommended in the video the tires were done when I bought the bike. So I guess I'm not too upset about the tires, other than it makes it nearly impossible to move the bike around.

I'm going to try and drag this thing out this weekend and get the tank off, would it be ill-advised to put fix a flat in the tires so they can hold air so I can roll the bike around?

It was mentioned above about the carbs getting gummed up after sitting for a while........how long would that take and what's the remedy? I want to say the bike has been sitting....going on its 2nd year.....I'd have to look at dates on photos and videos.

I have the recommended manual for working on the bike, but haven't read much as it didn't need any work when it was vandalized. After that happened I just rolled it into the garage and slowly things have gotten piled around it, mostly the other project which is an old fiberglass body buggy.

What sites do yall recommend for tires?

Offline batboy

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 01:33:22 pm »
Mine sat for 6 months last winter and the stale fuel gummed up the pilot jets on my carbs. Two years? Yeah, the carbs will need cleaned. That's a challenging job.

Back in my old dirt bike days, we would have put a patch on the inside of the tire and throw a tube into the tire, but I don't recommend that for street riding. Remove the wheels and take them in to have the tires mounted. The wheels are not hard to take off. That was one of the first things I did to my bike. If I can do it, you can too.

Oh, almost forgot, I looked on eBay and saw a few red gas tanks for sale, ranging from $100 to $300. But, wow, they are beat-up. All of them have big dents. You need to find a COG member with an extra tank. No, you can't have mine.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:01:26 pm by batboy »
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline Justin

• Big Wheels
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 05:55:30 pm »
Just got off the phone with the local Kawasaki dealer asking about carb cleaning......told him the story a bit......between tires, carb cleaning, and the tank, he said: "man....I'm just not sure that bike is worth all that"

I don't have a lot of money to just get this done in one fell swoop....im trying not to get discouraged and down about it all but man its just.......damn.

I appreciate everyone's input, I'm gonna sleep on all this info.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 07:27:06 pm »
You need a wrenching buddy.  If you have to pay someone to do everything for you, then things are going to get expensive pretty quickly at a dealer.  If you are patient and you look pretty hard, you should be able to find a running C10 for $1500 or less.  There is someone that has an 02 listed on ebay (and here) that can be bought for $1500. 
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 08:06:16 pm »
I would help if you weren't 8 hours away from where I live in Texas.  Texas is big!
Get yourself a service manual and go for it.  Connies are fairly easy to work on.  What's the worst that could happen...OK don't answer that. :)
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 08:28:40 pm »
Just contact Ted.  I've saved him so much time and frustration posting pics for him that he should have lots of time to come help you in person!! ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 10:00:11 pm »
Just got off the phone with the local Kawasaki dealer asking about carb cleaning......told him the story a bit......between tires, carb cleaning, and the tank, he said: "man....I'm just not sure that bike is worth all that"

I don't have a lot of money to just get this done in one fell swoop....im trying not to get discouraged and down about it all but man its just.......damn.

I appreciate everyone's input, I'm gonna sleep on all this info.
yeah.. you do not want to have a dealer do your carbs. that is a lost art and dealers dont deal in carbs much anymore.
 We have a preferred C10 carb guru who does all of our carbs. It will be much cheaper than the dealer but you still may not like the price.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 10:01:14 pm »
You did see my post about fixing your tank for $11?
Many of us wont ride on a tire that is more than 5 years old no matter how good it looks.
Fix a flat is not a good idea.. it makes a huge mess in the rim. and it will not hold air anyway with knife wounds in tires.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:08:22 pm by Daytona_Mike »

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 12:32:56 am »
Hi Justin,
That really stinks...makes you wonder how disturbed the person was that did this... for kicks I imagine.
Working on the carbs is a pain in the butt, but it's not rocket science. Look up videos from Shoodaben engineering on Youtube. Steve Sefsick has been a member of COG and he made several videos of how to do work on the C10.
It's possible that cleaning the carbs will be very inexpensive, mostly just some time, elbow grease, and several skinned knuckles.

If you have never changed tires, it would be intimidating, and even if you have, they can be a bear to remove. You may look for a Cycle Gear in your area. they have competitive prices on tires, and they mount them for (I think) $25 each if you bring the wheels into the store. like Ted said, taking the wheels off is not very difficult. The hardest thing to do will be to get it on the center stand. It's never easy to get a C10 on the center stand, but with flat tires it will be more difficult. You might want to roll it up on 2x4s or 2x6 to get it up in the air a little, then hoist it up from there. I don't think it will be possible without a couple of burly guys to get it hoisted on flat tires, unless it's elevated some.

Don't get intimidated by the work, each step is not that complicated, and there really aren't that many.

Good luck!!

Jorge

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 01:23:03 am »
I agree: If you can find a "Cycle Gear" take the wheels there!
            Getting the bike on the Center stand with flats is gonna be a killer.
            Removing the wheels is EZ if you have tools?
            Watch Steve's video's.

NOTE: Hiding my face, I will now go wash my mouth out with soap.
                      { I NEVER agree with Jorge! }

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Bud,,  I am helping him. But, I'm helping him from "a-faar".
                {as you don't live in TeXaS} I guess I'll have to forgive you.
                            You have Nooo idea how far it is from Houston to the TeXaS Panhandle!

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 06:40:59 pm »
You were looking for new tires as it was and a temp or permanent the tank fix with JB is easy. Also you have a bike builder buddy. I think you are in a good position to get the bike up and running again.

I am more concerned about the vandalism on the bike. Was it random or targeted?

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 11:06:14 am »
yeah.. you do not want to have a dealer do your carbs. that is a lost art and dealers dont deal in carbs much anymore.
 We have a preferred C10 carb guru who does all of our carbs. It will be much cheaper than the dealer but you still may not like the price.

The dealers around here are saying they won't work on anything 10 years or older.

My Army Recruiter neighbor behind me can't get a local shop to even look at his carbed '03 FZ1 - all it has is a slight stumble in low range - probably pilots clogged (he didn't treat the fuel last fall).  One non-dealership shop said they would do it, but that he would have to bring in the removed carb bank to them, not the whole bike.

Forget that.  I am going to help him with the project.  Its a beautiful bike and needs to have more miles put on it regularly.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 12:11:00 am »
I’d go along with the previous advice on the tank, and check Steve’s videos for other service. He would be a good choice for rehabbing the carbs. He’s the best on this bike.
For tires I’d go with the standard size Shinko 777 rear and a 110-80-18 Continental Road Attack 2 front. I’ve been happy with them for a budget commuter setup on my 2001. Sounds like Cycle Gear would be the place to mount them if you have one around. They don’t believe in Michigan, so I used a local independent shop.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline Justin

• Big Wheels
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 01:33:43 pm »
Y’all are all so encouraging I love it. Thank you.

I’ve got the Clymer manual for the bike, I’ve got friends that wrench and I’m pretty mechanically inclined, I’ve got a garage (though I’ve got to move a dune buggy), I’ve got time, I’ve got some money lol.......I think I’ll hold onto this bike and save it.

Thanks again for the advice and words of encouragement. I’m sure I’ll be back with questions......

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 02:21:13 pm »
The Clymer manual is pretty good but I'd suggest a factory service manual to go along with it. IMO, Clymer has better pictures but the FSM has better instructions.  Steve's videos are EXCELLENT! 

I never did any work on my C10 for years after I'd bought it. The dealership was one I'd been using for 20+ years and had always been excellent.  They sold out and shortly after that I ended up with a tank full of crappy gas which clogged my pilot jets. Took it in to the new dealer and the (so-called) technician totally screwed up my carbs (broke off the pilot adjustment bosses and JB welded them back on), scratched up my inner fairings and generally demonstrated that he had NO CLUE about motorcycle repairs. I got all my money back, made them buy me a new carb rack and set about doing it myself (along with a LOT of help from MOB, SISF and other members). After that experience I began doing all the maintenance on my bike. Saves me money and gives me piece of mind that it's done correctly.  Sometimes I would spend a fair amount of my time scratching my head (and a lot of time wishing I had Japanese sized hands) but it was rewarding and a change of pace from my "usual" work-a-day crap.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 03:18:20 pm »
 Justin take these lessons, and do it your self, these people know what they are talking about. Good luck :great: