Author Topic: Not Sure What to do.....or even where to post  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Bocajnala

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Not Sure What to do.....or even where to post
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 05:22:27 am »
Pulling the wheels is simple. And the tank can likely be fixed cheaply either with a jb weld or pull it off and see if you can get a shop to patch it up.

I think you can probably be back on the road for under $400.

-Jake

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 02:24:08 am »
If you just need the tires to hold air long enough to move the bike without riding it, wrap some duct tape around them. I've actually seen people ride on duct taped tires, though I would not recommend it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline MarkP

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11503
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2019, 11:33:19 pm »
Hey Justin.

I got a little carried away with my post. Hope you find some part of it helpful.

Sucks what happened to your bike. I hope you're getting to a point where you can make a decision about what to do with it. What you finally decide to do all depends on how much you like it.

If its sat in the condition you said for two years, another year (while you work on it and replace parts) is nothing. About two years ago, I bought some used tube handle bars off eBay and another pair from a local salvage yard. I'm JUST getting around to putting them on my bike. Why did I wait so long? Mostly because I was afraid of the rabbit hole I'd go down replacing parts related to the handle bars. Over the past two years, I've been buying the various parts and pieces I'll need to replace the stock bars with tube bars.

My point is, if you just like the bike but don't love it, it might be time to get rid of it. Part it out. Sell it to a salvage yard. Just get rid of it. Over the five years I've owned my C10, I've replaced enough stock parts to keep the relationship going. I hope replacing the handle bars, for a more upright riding position, will make me fall in love with the bike again. If not, I'll put all the stock parts back on and sell it. At that point, it's just a machine I don't enjoy riding.

I wouldn't even bother talking to a Kawasaki dealer. If you're not comfortable fine tuning, syncing carbs, stuff like that you'll need to find someone like the guy you mentioned who works on Harleys. I can turn a wrench but I totally suck at the fine tuning stuff. The guy I take my bike to for that sort of work is a neighbor and friend of a friend. I was talking to a dirt bike riding neighbor about where he takes his bikes. Turns out, another neighbor owns a bike repair/performance shop. Highly recommended and a nice guy to boot. 

It sounds like the carbs will be your biggest challenge/expense. I lucked out using SeaFoam to de-gunk carbs on my Yamaha Royal Star Venture. It sat about 18 months without running. I drained the fuel tank and put in fresh fuel. The engine was only running on two cylinders. Drained the fuel from the tank. Drained the fuel from the carbs. Filled the carbs with SeaFoam and let it sit a couple days. Drained the carbs again and put in fresh fuel. Engine started up and ran fine. This is anecdotal and I'm not recommending you try it. Just saying it worked in my case. I'm sure someone out there has information about how additives like SeaFoam will ruin seals and gaskets and floats and anything else gasoline touches.

I'm going to disagree with a couple people about repairs to the fuel tank.  I wouldn't use something like JB Weld to patch the tank. Having it patched by a body guy or competent welder may cost as much as a replacement. I would probably buy a used tank because that's easy. If I were on the road and stranded because of a leaking fuel tank, I'd use bubble gum if got me going again.

The tires need to be replaced. I've always been told never try to patch sidewall damage. On the road, in an emergency, or in your case just to move the bike around I would try about anything. Normally, I replace tires in pairs. Just my OCD I guess. Unfortunately, I got out of sync due to road damage on one of a nearly new set. Replaced the front with a Shinko Verge. Overall, good ratings. Delivered to my door, $98. $25 to have it mounted. Some guys say they don't like the handling. Feels like riding on marbles. I have no problem with it and plan to buy a pair when it's time.

So, that's my $1.28 worth of opinion. The short story is if you love the bike take your time and do the repairs. In the end, you'll love it more because of the time and effort you put into it. If you only like it (or less) get rid of it. It's only a machine. Obviously, you have other transportation. Start saving for another bike.

Wishing you (and hopefully a repaired C10) all the best.

Mark P.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 01:01:45 pm »
Hey Justin.
I'm going to disagree with a couple people about repairs to the fuel tank.  I wouldn't use something like JB Weld to patch the tank. I'd use bubble gum if got me going again.
Mark P.

Why not use a gas tank repair product? I assume you did not read the description but then again you said you would use bubble gum instead  ..... well ok. That explains a lot.

There are many other gas tank sealing/repair  products out there if you do not like the brand name. That was one example.   Modern epoxy's  today can do amazing things.

From the manufacturer :  TANK WELD: Metal Fuel tank repair kit has all you need for making professional quality, permanent repairs with state of the art components and easy to follow instructions.

Bubblegum?   :-[  ..ok then

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:21:48 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Bobdog76

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 12:04:01 am »
Ditto Justin's situation only worse. similar questions, bit of variation but not sure where to post? Tried a few months ago, posted in the wrong place, was told to publish elsewhere, given a URL which was dead. Ok if I post here? Justin, perhaps we could pool our efforts chat by Skype or email? Farm Boy so pretty fair mechanic, slow the result of TBIs and PTSD, disabled so I have lots of time. Yay? Determined  to do my bike through and through  only problem go v. s l o w these days, $$$ ltd. Bike stored for more like three years.
Thanks