Author Topic: oil capacity  (Read 345 times)

Offline Richard

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
oil capacity
« on: October 22, 2018, 02:06:34 am »
Out of curiosity, what would happen if you added 3.9 quarts of oil after an oil change? Is that too much? Is there a danger of damage? 2004 Concours.

Online DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
Re: oil capacity
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 02:51:14 am »
That is too much oil if the engine is wet. Did you add all that?

Usually oil would seep through the breather hole, water pump seal should pop out and there may be some damage to the engine and oil pump due to the pressure.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:51 am »
That is too much oil if the engine is wet. Did you add all that?

Usually oil would seep through the breather hole, water pump seal should pop out and there may be some damage to the engine and oil pump due to the pressure.

Yup. 3qts with an oil filter change. When I do mine (on the center stand) I let the engine run 'til the cooling fan kicks in. Shut down for several minutes and then look at the crankcase sight glass. Oil should cover 2/3 of the sight glass. That's what I have done for the last 24 yrs. Works for me. :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:33:24 am »
It takes more if you have the SPOOFAK kit depending on which filter you use (Search the forum for that) and a spin on oil filter, but that's still too much. If you have the OEM set up, 3 is all you need.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:46 pm »
3 quarts for my C10 as well, changing both oil and filter, both stock and with SPOOFAK using Kawasaki spin-on 16097-0008 (Kawi replacement for 16097-0004).

I try to "calibrate" the process by watching how much is needed the first couple of times, then I just use the same parts and put in the same amount all the time.  Quick check of the window and I'm good.  Makes it easy to change the oil frequently.

On another note, I see Mettler1 is getting into the spirit of Halloween, having installed the SPOOKFAK version of the kit.  Either that, or it's a special CIA black-ops research project he can't tell us about.   (Sorry, couldn't help myself) ;D ;D ;D
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10 Sonic Blue ("Old Blue") - Touring by Sport Touring:  Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Russell Day-Long saddle, Cee Bailey windshield.
17 C-14 Candy Imperial Blue ("Baby Blue") - Sport by Sport Touring

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:27:01 pm »
  CaffeineMan got me after all these yrs. I have spelled "SPOOFAK" wrong these yrs. Well I ain't gonna change it after all this time!! ::) 
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 06:37:11 pm »
It takes more if you have the SPOOFAK kit depending on which filter you use (Search the forum for that) and a spin on oil filter, but that's still too much. If you have the OEM set up, 3 is all you need.

I can't say that the filter makes a big difference, but I installed SPOOFAK's on both my bikes, and using the long or short Purolater filter made little difference...
after draining from BOTH drain plugs, and using a new filter, I prefill the filter from a fresh quart, Install the filter, dump the remaining oil in, and follow it with 2 more quarts, and 5 ounces.... and never worry... that is actually the correct oil level in the book, based on Liter amount noted, and it always comes up correct in my oil window...  so my opinion is 3 quarts + 5 ounces...
I have never 'added oil' by using the window as a 'gauge', I just use that as verification the oil is in there, and at the line.

YMMV

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 06:41:06 pm »
MOB, I drain from both drains. My window still gets full at about 2.5 qts. What am I doing wrong? Only thing, I just never warm up my bike before draining. It sits overnight and to me that is good enough.

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »
  CaffeineMan got me after all these yrs. I have spelled "SPOOFAK" wrong these yrs. Well I ain't gonna change it after all this time!! ::)

SPOOKFAK looks better anyways.  I'm just being a pest...  Couldn't resist...  ;D ;D ;D
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10 Sonic Blue ("Old Blue") - Touring by Sport Touring:  Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Russell Day-Long saddle, Cee Bailey windshield.
17 C-14 Candy Imperial Blue ("Baby Blue") - Sport by Sport Touring

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 09:36:07 pm »
MOB, I drain from both drains. My window still gets full at about 2.5 qts. What am I doing wrong? Only thing, I just never warm up my bike before draining. It sits overnight and to me that is good enough.

I have no idea.  2.5 quarts = 2.36 Litres.. that is not enough, by the book...with or without a new filter...
I do my changes with the bike cool also and sitting on the centerstand..
drain, remove filter, prefill spin on, and use the quantities I noted above...

the book says:
2.7 litres with no filter change (I never change oil without filter' but that is equal to 2 qt's + 27 oz.)
3.0 litres with a filter change  (3 Qt's + 5 oz)

and that's what I've always done,pre SPOOFAK and after SPOOFAK; and my fill line is right on the money after running the bike, and it is sitting tires on the ground.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:39:19 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:52 pm »
My '06 takes more than 3 quarts, but not much.  Factory filter set up.
It's less than a 1/4 quart more, but it is more.

I fill my oil to just below the top line...  The '06 oil light on hard braking issue is resolved with a wee bit more.

I fill 3 quarts, run the bike on the CS for a minute, then shut it off, let it rest for 15 minutes, then top off
with the last few ounces.  Done. 

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:17 pm »
Crap! You gotta change the oil in these things? ;D
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 10:29:44 pm »

:hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

The REAL question is which oil?    >:D
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:18 am »

:hee20hee20hee: :hee20hee20hee:

The REAL question is which oil?    >:D

The kind I use is best!!! :beerchug: