Author Topic: oil leaeking out, what seems to be, the air box..........  (Read 359 times)

Offline Louie

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Active
oil leaeking out, what seems to be, the air box..........
« on: May 28, 2019, 07:25:14 pm »
Attempting to set up my old '98 back to running more than once a month.  Idling away and noticed oil dripping out of the air box onto the trans.  Bike shut off and start looking.  Check oil and it is quite low.  After some time, think the cam shaft breathers.  Check hose coming out of that and no oil.  Then think the vacuum check valve above the breathers may be stuck.  Don't have a vacuum gauge but thinking that if that isn't opening, it's an issue.

I'm thinking I should start there and then move to replacing the check valve and then the breathers.

Anyone else have a similar issue after a 6 to 9 month napping scoot?  Couldn't find anything in the Tech Pages.

Thank you.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
Re: oil leaeking out, what seems to be, the air box..........
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:43:04 pm »
It's my understanding there is no PCV valve on the C10, but there is a crankcase vent tube that goes into the air box. Perhaps excessive blow-by is causing the problem? You might want to run a compression check on the cylinders.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline mgoodrich

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 4466
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:36:26 am »
Did you over oil the air filter?

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »
To check the oil at the sight glass, make sure the bike is level, the wait a minite after shutting the bike off. Otherwise you will overfill the motor.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:07:50 am »
Attempting to set up my old '98 back to running more than once a month.  Idling away and noticed oil dripping out of the air box onto the trans.  Bike shut off and start looking.  Check oil and it is quite low.  After some time, think the cam shaft breathers.  Check hose coming out of that and no oil.  Then think the vacuum check valve above the breathers may be stuck.  Don't have a vacuum gauge but thinking that if that isn't opening, it's an issue.

I'm thinking I should start there and then move to replacing the check valve and then the breathers.

Anyone else have a similar issue after a 6 to 9 month napping scoot?  Couldn't find anything in the Tech Pages.

Thank you.
Those are not cam shaft breathers.  It is an emissions system that injects air into the exhaust.  I'd do an oil change and put the proper amount of oil back in.  Clean the oil from the airbox  and see if it returns.  It could have been from a previous overfill.  Be sure to pull both drain plugs or it can be overfilled again.  Measure the oil.  Don't rely on the sight glass.  HTH
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing