Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 642 times)

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Oil Leak
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:24:26 pm »
I am stumped.  My 2002 Concours has a very slight oil leak that appears to be showing up on the front bellows…it is a brown liquid, which I thought at first might be engine oil, or, final drive oil…since both were brown.  I have since changed the final drive oil to Bel-Ray 80W90 Hypoid, which is red.  We went for a 350-mile ride yesterday, and this one drop is all there is to show for the leak this morning…it isn’t red, so, I am presuming it is engine oil.  The Crankcase Breather Elbow Tube is attached and dry…with no oil inside the airbox.  The engine oil has been changed since this started, with no difference in the leak, and sets at about three quarters of the way up the sight glass with the bike upright.  The picture of the drop on the garage floor, and the picture of the side stand show the only areas on the bike that are wet from oil spray.  The picture of the bellows shows that the leak is coming from somewhere else, since the bellows doesn’t have oil on it except on the bottom…

Any ideas or help would be appreciated...

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:53:29 pm »
Bevel drive gasket.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:09:43 am »
Previous owner says Steve’s 7th gear was installed 7 or 8 years ago...with all new gaskets...that surely would have been the metal gasket by then...wouldn’t it?

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:26:14 pm »
Previous owner says Steve’s 7th gear was installed 7 or 8 years ago...with all new gaskets...that surely would have been the metal gasket by then...wouldn’t it?
No way to know. I wouldn't rule it out. The only other possibility is the o-ring inside. 
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »

WELL,
that would depend on if Steve installed it, or the owner installed it after buying the modified unit from Steve... my assumption is the P/O installed the unit, and didn't use a metal gasket... maybe...
ask him...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 06:34:58 pm »
WELL,
that would depend on if Steve installed it, or the owner installed it after buying the modified unit from Steve... my assumption is the P/O installed the unit, and didn't use a metal gasket... maybe...
ask him...

I was the precious owner and it was installed with the gasket that Steve sent me with the new unit. I will have to call him to find out which gasket as I have slept since then and can't remember.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 06:43:15 pm »
Brad, I just spoke to the man himself (Steve) and he said he always sent metal gaskets.  When I told him about your leak he immediately said tell you to check the water pump seal and o-ring. The brown fluid may be coming from the sweep hole on the water pump.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 08:21:39 pm »
after looking again, at the photos, I'm not gonna say it's w W/P seal, but more likely a seal on the housing of the drive unit..
there's a couple, that without having it right in front of me, make it difficult...
there's oil showing at the rear, which could be blowback, or dripping from collection in the boot.. can't say...
there's an O-ring under the side plate, one on the shaft mounting plate, and another down below... they can be seen on the microfiche as...

671B2565   O RING,65MM ( the one on the side cover)      
   671B2570   O RING,70MM  (the one on the shaft bearing/mtg plate, rear side)
   92051-005   SEAL-OIL,TB13225.5  (side, near bottom, rear, by cable clamp)

there are others, but those are in the area you show.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
Re: Oil Leak?
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:53 pm »
I have found an oil film inside the bellows...I hoped it might be the weep hole on the water pump that was the culprit...but, no, it’s as dry as a bone...there wasn’t any oil dripping on the exhaust anyway...but, desperation was beginning to set in...so, if the oil is traveling down the driveshaft (am I understanding it correctly?) to collect in the bellows, wouldn’t the likely culprit be the 92049-1038 oil seal?  I have searched all over the bottom of the engine looking for a source of the oil...but, have found nothing.  Would this oil seal, if defective, allow oil to collect in the bellows?  My first thought was the oil leak was coming from a hidden, or, internal source...which might be correct...because there is no external evidence of liquid dripping out of the engine...

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:24:11 am »
Then wipe it off and ride it !!!

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:18 am »
But...then it'll be clean... :nananana:

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:53 am »

Oh the shame !!! The Silverbullet is a beast and she's made to be ridden. Just consider that one drop of fluid as her spitting on the ground and saying, "Let's do this" !!!

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:00:48 pm »

Oh the shame !!! The Silverbullet is a beast and she's made to be ridden. Just consider that one drop of fluid as her spitting on the ground and saying, "Let's do this" !!!

It's work horse pack mule, not a show horse!   Having said that.... I'd fix it too!  :D
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
Re: Oil Leak?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 07:11:52 pm »
I have found an oil film inside the bellows...I hoped it might be the weep hole on the water pump that was the culprit...but, no, it’s as dry as a bone...there wasn’t any oil dripping on the exhaust anyway...but, desperation was beginning to set in...so, if the oil is traveling down the driveshaft (am I understanding it correctly?) to collect in the bellows, wouldn’t the likely culprit be the 92049-1038 oil seal? I have searched all over the bottom of the engine looking for a source of the oil...but, have found nothing.  Would this oil seal, if defective, allow oil to collect in the bellows?  My first thought was the oil leak was coming from a hidden, or, internal source...which might be correct...because there is no external evidence of liquid dripping out of the engine...

I noted in my post, the seal that is right above the belows, on the front end of the driveshaft... why ( and, I have to ask this...) do you think its running down UP the shaft, from the rear, all the way to the front? that seems to be against the laws of gravity...  :rotflmao:

see my correction at the bottom... I did an OOOOOPS... sorry...

there are rear seals at thee rear drive splined junction
 2 rings     92055-1646   RING-O
and a gland seal     92049-1033   SEAL-OIL,SC32487
that have been seen to fail,

but the    92055-1038   RING-O,ID=57.6
seal, o ring, (I think you have an erroneous number, there isn't a 92049-1038) is actually inside the rear drive, and sits behind the other 2 I noted above, and even if it leaked, it would leak at the external junction to the drive, not internally to the shaft area.

OOOOPs....
I'm sorry, I missed the one you noted, that DOES sit up front... my bad...
   92049-1038   SEAL-OIL,TC35527

and yes, that could be bad, and could cause the leakage... I'm sorry...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:21:49 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:43 pm »
MOB,

I understand what you mean...it's making me crazy...I did have an interesting theory put forth today by a guy who builds short track engines for cars...

Him:  What is that drip?

Me:  Oil.

Him:  Are you sure?

Me:  No (but, thinking, what else could it be?).

Him:  This is all it dripped...this one drop?

Me:  Yes.

Him:  And, only when it's hot?

Me:  Yes.

Him:  It's not oil.

Me:  Then, what is it?

Him:  It's grease, from the forward u-joint on your driveshaft.  It's been so hot that the grease turns into liquid...and, drips until it cools off...then it becomes a grease again...and stops dripping.  The reason you can see it is because that bellows has a tear or crack in it, and that allows the liquid grease to drip out one drop, and that's all...by the time when it would drip a second drop, it has cooled enough to become grease again.  Come here...let me show you...

And he led me to a short track engine and pointed out the accumulation of "grease pellets" around the area of the u-joint...

Has anybody else ever heard this?  Does it make sense?

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:17 pm »
That makes perfect sense. As hot as it's been plus the heat from riding. Many times I have melted bearing grease in order to get it all the way inside the bearings and when it cools it turns back to grease. Bingo.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 11:19:15 pm »
That makes perfect sense. As hot as it's been plus the heat from riding. Many times I have melted bearing grease in order to get it all the way inside the bearings and when it cools it turns back to grease. Bingo.

And, that would explain why I changed the oil and there was no difference in the color of the drip...

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 12:45:31 pm »
That makes perfect sense. I had my final drive off this past weekend to change the rear tire. The grease on both sets of splines had turned to oil. Looks just like a leaker.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 06:52:41 pm »
So...if this is the case...should I be worried about it?  This must happen to everybody who rides in the summer heat...I’m going to replace the bellows...so, at least I won’t see it anymore...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
 :great: :great: :rotflmao: