Author Topic: oil light on after oil change  (Read 497 times)

Offline tercopete

• New Rider wiith 94 zg1000
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
oil light on after oil change
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:02:43 am »
Due to the high milage (46,172.5) of my 94 Kawasaki ZG1000 I went from regular oil to syntheic oil however i noticed the oil light would flicker and i went to the show that did the work andd the rocked bike left to right while looking at the oil level window and he states oil level is correct  but it doesnt account for the RED Oil level light coming on from a flicker to constantly on .  WHAT CAN BE THE REASON FOR THE WARNING LIGHT ON  PLEASE HELP

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: oil light on after oil change
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:24:42 am »
did YOU actually look, and verify the level was correct?

if not, well... look.

:-[

or, it could be a loose wire somewhere...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JS

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:06:55 am »
What is the water temp when the flicker begins? What weight synthetic oil was used? Was the oil and filter replaced according to procedure?
46,000 on a properly maintained and not abused zg1000 is low mileage. Drain the oil and inspect the oil for bearing particles. Slowly remove the oil filter and check if it was installed correctly with no missing components. Check the oil filter for bearing particles. Also, see if there is a way to check the oil pressure with a gauge. A flickering oil waning light needs a bit more attention than rocking the bike.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:21:13 am by JS »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 01:42:52 am »
What is the water temp when the flicker begins? What weight synthetic oil was used? Was the oil and filter replaced according to procedure?
46,000 on a properly maintained and not abused zg1000 is low mileage. Drain the oil and inspect the oil for bearing particles. Slowly remove the oil filter and check if it was installed correctly with no missing components. Check the oil filter for bearing particles. Also, see if there is a way to check the oil pressure with a gauge. A flickering oil waning light needs a bit more attention than rocking the bike.

:-X :-X

well I feel really dumb now, asking him to check the oil level in the window...

:-[ ::) ::)

Offline tercopete

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:06:06 am »
Will physically check oil window while on center stand and with flash light for better seeing, will advise all. Stay tuned.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:13:20 am »
Check it immediately after riding because the oil "hides" after 15 minutes or so.

Also, does your bike have a SPOOFAK (Spin On Oil Filter Adapter Kit)? If so, it takes a little more oil than stock.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:24:22 am »
I agree with MOB, before you start tearing into anything I would check the oil level.  The way I have always checked my oil on my C10 is to run the engine up to operating temperature on center stand, wait 10 to 15 minutes and then check the level.  Ideally you should see the oil level halfway between the low and high mark.

Now saying that, if you have a continuous oil light on, I don't think I would run the engine that long.  I, and notice I said "I", would do another oil change, ensuring that I put the proper amount of oil in.  After that, if I still had an continuous light, I would start looking elsewhere.
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:07:13 pm »
check the oil levels, filter etc., etc as recommended. perhaps your passages are blocked from sludge. perhaps go back to the oil you have been using. synthetic shouldn't cause adverse issues but if this was the only variable go back to what worked.

in my ex500 many years ago when i changed from dino to synthetic and on the first ride I had the oil light came on once. i stopped the bike immediately, checked around and everything was fine. started back up and the light never came back again.

take care of this before you keep riding on an oil deprived engine.

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 05:26:31 pm »
Oil pressure sending unit, could be bad or the wire disturbed.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Sparkie

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 10:14:26 pm »
  When I had my 2006 C10 the oil light came on a couple of times due to oil pumps that were apparently a little out of spec.  I had the Spoofak and after oil changes the light would tend to stay on until I figured out a proper oil change routine.  Basically they can become airlocked and not pump oil.  This could also happen under heavy braking.  If you're using the Spoofak let us know and I'll post up what I found to solve that issue.  Mark
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:45:44 pm »
SPOOFAC actually gives faster oil supply to the engine during a filter change, when prefilling like it is/was designed for.. read the instructions...

a for the light, again I suggest looking at the sensor wire..and checking the REAL level in the window.

as for "blocked passages" in the engine...?
you drain oil, and refill it to correct level.... blocked passeges?  tell me more...
it all end up in the sump.... o if anything, you would experience an over fill...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce: :truce: :truce: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

which by the way, ain't good either..

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:13:25 am »
  When I had my 2006 C10 the oil light came on a couple of times due to oil pumps that were apparently a little out of spec.  I had the Spoofak and after oil changes the light would tend to stay on until I figured out a proper oil change routine.  Basically they can become airlocked and not pump oil.  This could also happen under heavy braking.  If you're using the Spoofak let us know and I'll post up what I found to solve that issue.  Mark

The directions that come with the SPOOFAK when it's new give instruction on how to prime the situation. Dan Bergman apparently found an issue or he wouldn't have included those.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline tercopete

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 02:49:12 pm »
standard filter K&N 401 oil is in slightly past middle of oil view finder

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 03:05:59 pm »
Other than rock the bike and look at the oil level what else have you done to investigate or remedy the problem?

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 04:23:39 pm »
By the oil filter you mentioned it is the stock oil filter assembly and not a SPOOFAK.

So from the first post it seems that you brought it back to the place that did the oil change when you had the light flicker?

Did you put it on the centerstand and wait 15 or so minutes to see the 1/2 full sightglass?
I never use the sight glass, too much variation of level. Right after shutdown (sight glass all full) to the next day (when it looks too low, near empty).

Did they write down how much oil they put in the bike. 3 liters is specified when draining both drain plugs and new filter, if they went by the sight glass upon filling and stopped at 1/2-3/4 full sight glass, maybe there's not enough oil in it.

It may be best to drain the oil from both drain plugs into a clean container and see how much oil is in there. Take pictures in case it wasn't near 3 liters to let them know.

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:31:58 pm by Bob_C_CT »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline tercopete

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 10:01:04 pm »
will try your sugestion and will advised   thankn you all for input i wilkl keep everyone informed

Offline IBAJIM

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12891
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 11:28:49 pm »
Is the oil pressure light flickering at idle or at any RPM ?   If only at idle, what weight oil was put in at the oil change ?
If proper weight oil was used,  you could have a funky sending unit.  It could just be a coincidence the light started flickering after the oil change.  Stranger things have happened.

If the proper weight was used, I would first change the filter and see what happens ( do the easy thing first ) .   If a new filter doesn't make a difference, then I would change the oil sending unit.

If the light is on all the time, could be a bad connection/broken wire/etc. at the oil sending unit.
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 12:13:11 am »
Wasn't there a run of out of spec oil pumps? I thought they were later than 94 but don't know for sure.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 12:57:27 am »
Due to the high mileage (46,172.5) of my 94 Kawasaki ZG1000 I went from regular oil to synthetic oil however i noticed the oil light would flicker and i went to the shop that did the work and they rocked bike left to right while looking at the oil level window and he states oil level is correct  but it doesnt account for the RED Oil light coming on from a flicker to constantly on .  WHAT CAN BE THE REASON FOR THE WARNING LIGHT ON  PLEASE HELP

Kinda fixed it for ya.  ;D

first questions are, exactly what oil and weight did the shop that did the work put in it? What was in it before?

You shouldn't see that light at all unless the bike is KOEO (key on engine off), at least that's how it works on my 98 with similar mileage. Not even flickering. Most guys would agree that the light will turn off during extended cranking, like after a long sit.

Your best call would be to verify the oil level, and ask the shop to substitute a mechanical oil pressure test gauge in place of the oil pressure switch. That way you can easily determine if it's an engine problem, or something else.

The only way I trust the sight glass is after an overnight sit on the centerstand, you should see an oil level in the middle to top half of it. If you can't see the line, it's either too full or not full enough. Use a strong flashlight.

Question for the hive mind, at what pressure does the switch close/open to activate the light?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:58:17 am by Thud300 »
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:56 am »
Wasn't there a run of out of spec oil pumps? I thought they were later than 94 but don't know for sure.
IIRC it was the 2006 that had oil pump issues.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing