Author Topic: On the road again1  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
On the road again1
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »
All:    You may remember from a few weeks ago that I was having a lot of junk in my carbs, bike ran like crap, etc, had to buy a new battery on my 99.  Was not happy. Since then I've run three cans of SeaFoam, one Techron, drained the carbs three times, taken the tank off a couple times draining it, installed an inline Napa 3006 fuel filter.     Took her out this a.m. and it's like a new bike. No stumbling,knock on wood!    Ran around for an hour around my little town and then a blast down the freeway and got some gas to keep the tank at least half full.     Checked with the kid at the QT station about when and how much gas they had on hand; didn't want to suck up sludge again! Said they had at least 10K from an earlier delivery. Took a chance and got 3 gals.    If you know me you know that I'm a cruiser kind of rider; however, this experience of working on the carbs and doing several "maintenance runs" has opened up the world of going through the gears in excess of 6K rpm!  It's a whole lot different bike. Second gear and shifting into third around 7K is like no other experience I've had on a bike. It could get exciting.    :)    Got to go do some kitchen work now - everyone enjoy your day and be thankful for what you have.    Phil  COG5879  '99 'lectric  
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Yuma

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7356
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
On the road again1
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »
It is nice to let the girl sing..... A good run at higher RPMs is FUN...   ;p    Take her out for a good run now and then, run some Seafoam now and then and she'll be good.    Yuma,  Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :-)  2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community
Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :-)  2006 Connie, RIP 03/17/09 http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

Offline Rob_Barrows_NH

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8368
On the road again1
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »
I don't know about most of you but I pretty much hit at least 7 almost every time I shift, except out first that is. Like to see 9 when I can but roads around here don't afford that alot. Haven't pushed it to the red yet but looking anxious to feel it there.  

Offline Greg Habel

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7010
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
On the road again1
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
Congrats on getting it running good again!  Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude  COG# 7010,a Tracey  CDA 120  99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250  
Greg H from Mass -  MA/ME/NH/VT co-AAD 2012+ with wife Tracey
COG# 7010,a Tracey  CDA 120 (3.0)  99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle"

Offline Rob_Barrows_NH

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8368
On the road again1
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »
yes  I should add the congrats as well, I bought a older mistreated concours and I went through the same as you. Persistance, sea foam, and wrestling with the carbs brought it around and the filter has kept it there. So good work.