Author Topic: Overflow tube sealant  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Tensator

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8044
  • Membership Level: Active
Overflow tube sealant
« on: September 15, 2018, 01:39:58 pm »
What is everyone using to secure the overflow tubes in?  Installed tubes 8 years ago and used aviation grade fuel tank sealant (PR1422B1/2) and is not holding up.  Its possible it was a bad batch for it does have a shelf life before using.  Pulled carbs for rebuild and found tube dislodged and sealant mushy.   Looking for other time proven options.  I use StarTron every fill up and the carbs are clean internal.
Arriving somewhere but not here.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Overflow tube sealant
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 01:55:04 pm »
Most of us, use "Steve" to secure the overflow tubes in..  <smart eleck reply>

I did a repair several years ago and bought an epoxy that was made for use with gasoline.
      I bashed an (automotive) oil pan on a trip and had oil leaking. The oil was leaking badly..
      For an emergency repair, I used the gas proof epoxy to seal it temporarily..
      2 years later we had to chisel the epoxy off to do a better repair.

I suggest a search on the internet and see if you can find epoxy for use in gasoline.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 01:58:21 pm »
normally their pressfit no sealant required.but if you used 1422 aNd it failed you had an expired tube or mixed it improperly, i've scracped 40 year old 1422 from 747 tanks with no sign of failure,1422 is most likely the best sealant ever invented......lol

Offline Tensator

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8044
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:11:14 pm »
Agreed on the 1422.  I too have been applying and scrapping 1422 for 27 years.  Good stuff!  Using 1422 on press fit cause I'm anal.  I will keep options open and probably reapply.  Thanks for input. 
Arriving somewhere but not here.

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:02:17 pm »
I was also an A&P for 30 years, and applied/removed hundreds of pounds of PR1422 and CS3204 and others.  Great stuff, but there was no ethanol in AvGas or JetA.  Not sure if that might be part of the problem.  I installed my own overflow tubes, press-fit with JBWeld.  I had reason to pull/disassemble the carbs a few months later for an unrelated issue, and found the JBWeld coming off.  I believe a good  press-fit is all you need.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 09:06:34 pm »
Yea, i would think brass tubes and aluminum body should make a very good seal.

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:14:04 am »
I used a 2-part household epoxy which happened to be very thin, filled the almost press fit space nicely. About 10 years so far.

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/floatDrainTubes.htm

Offline m in sc

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 04:34:13 pm »
green sleeving loctite also works extremely well. .02

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 04:46:56 pm »
I always though they were just pressed in.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »
I always though they were just pressed in.
if done correctly, they are... :) ;)
 :great:
SISF found during the initial stages of the mod, that whatever adhesives were used, never seamed to be better than a correctly sized, and precisely drilled hole, based on a reliable press fit for the tubing he is using..
Other folks that emulated his efforts, didn't quite take the time to 'experiment" and get the right drill size for the tubing used, thus needed to use an adhesive, as they "experimented" on the bowls for their bike...ya can't "unDrill" a hole.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 11:00:49 pm »
I was an early adopter and I can tell you that JB weld will not hold and will fall apart sending debris through your  carbs. Donot use it please or you will have to go back and remove it.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 11:06:26 am »
even when done on a mill with the correct drill size, the loctite does indeed hold up. its for press fittings, thats what its designed for. if the tube is loose in bowl, yes, its eventually going to bite you. if indeed this happens, go up a size on the tube and redrill the hole to the proper size for that tube.   

ive replaced drain tubes that have split in older bikes for years using the 640 loctite. they can split over time on older machines, and then leak, hence why they have to be replaced. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:59 pm »
even when done on a mill with the correct drill size, the loctite does indeed hold up. its for press fittings, thats what its designed for. if the tube is loose in bowl, yes, its eventually going to bite you. if indeed this happens, go up a size on the tube and redrill the hole to the proper size for that tube.   

ive replaced drain tubes that have split in older bikes for years using the 640 loctite. they can split over time on older machines, and then leak, hence why they have to be replaced.

I'm glad I'm on your ignore list, so you don't have to read what I say.
Ask SISF what he uses.
I guess I better check the overflow tubes on my 1978 KZ1000, MiK carbs, to make sure they didn't split.. and need to be replaced. They were press fit in place, as were every other Mikuni I've owned since 1973... never had one split, or pop out. I guess I'm just lucky.  :-X :truce:

ride safe...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 02:50:42 am »
here we go again..
i've owned well over 100 bikes, most vintage, and worked on hundreds more. and yes, they do and will split over time when they are exposed to the elements for extended periods of time, especially when they are 40, 50 years old. mikuni vm series are particularly prone to it as are the keihin cv types used on the early 450's and the sohc pre pumper carbs.
 Pulled out of a junkyard, misused, etc. it happens, i really dont care if you believe me or not as you ONLY listen to yourself. 
The FACT of the matter is, it happens. compare to what i usually work on, the concours is fairly modern and didn't come with them anyway, so the newest possible one with drain tubes is 32 years old.   

you can crap on all my and others methods with the condescending tone all you want, which you just love to do, which speaks volumes.
Experience in my repairs of carburetors, and believe me, lots of it, tells me otherwise. My advice is for those that asked about sealant for the overflow tubes. 640 loctite. IF somebody were inclined to use it. is it necessary ? not nec, especially if the hole is drilled true and to the right size. does it hurt? no. Do YOU have any 1st hand experience doing exactly what i said with the loctite? i'm going to venture to say, not. 

I'm going to defend my methods that are proven to work even though you want to poo all over it.  its funny i never, ever follow anything you have said that knocks my methods, and yet, my bike runs perfectly. (actually, all 13 do). the fan, the petcock, the overflow tubes. and on and on, you crapped all over any method i had and yet.. works. 

I never, ever pay anybody to work on my bikes, because i don't have to. Not a money issue, its ability. I did my own carb tubes and still run a manual petcock inline . good lord, how do i ever get by not following your directions..  :D

I actually do quite a bit to my bikes I wont share on here for the simple fact that i don't want to 'hear' your input on it. I deal with a lot of blow hard know it alls at work.

and Thats all im saying about this.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 04:12:15 am »
   Mark, I AM impressed by someone like you and I can tell you really enjoy what you do!!  :great:   ME? I have only had 3 motorcycles in 40 yrs and found that if you really don't have the knowledge you should pay someone that does have the knowledge. It can get real expensive for a do it yourself  if you don't know what the hell you are doing.

I like to ride and I can do some regular maintenance but I won't mess with carbs!! >:(  I send my stuff that I don't anything about to someone that does!!

Probably to someone like you!! :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:23 am »
thanks,

i get it. To be honest, I do pay to get tires done (because i hate doing them). and i understand why some people don't do the work themselves. point being, there's usually alternative ways to do things, and should not be discounted when it isn't YOUR preferred way (persay). thats just ignorant.   

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 02:16:40 am »
Hafta agree with yu on that green loctite sleeve retainer, i once mistakenly used it on a threaded fastner and the only way to get it apart again was to torch it to 7-800 degrees to soften it a little.good stuff

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 03:10:02 am »
I guess Elmers Glue is not a good choice then, correct?  :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? Try this => Road Rash Cartoon Book

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 04:47:42 pm »
Lol..........I'll pay the 49 bucks for a mount and spin balance anyday also. couldn't ever imagine letting someone else play with my carbs though, why let someone else have all the fun.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 05:14:20 pm »
Lol..........I'll pay the 49 bucks for a mount and spin balance anyday also. couldn't ever imagine letting someone else play with my carbs though, why let someone else have all the fun.

Well, I know someone who can do my carbs and has. SiSF (Steve in Sunny Florida) You won't find anyone who does a better job with carbs. He has done hundreds of carbs and they run better than new!!

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/intake-and-exhaust
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:54 pm »
 hey, if i wasnt sure what i was doing, i would probably do that to.truth is these little carbs are old school ancient technology from fifty years ago and in reality super easy to tune, not really sure why so many here are scared to try their own tuning.but hey,that sisf guy has a good thing going and i wouldn't want to ruin his bread and butter.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »
    :) :)  Ray, you are probably one of a few on the C10 forum that has the expertise and equipment to do it first rate!!  Wish I did but I don't :-[ 

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:56 pm »
the number one reason i bought the c-10 was for its simplicity,no digitized fueling,ecm's ,sensors,etc...not to much difference tech wise then my first honda 90 trailbike.no way i could afford on a fixed retirement income to own one of these new ktm or bmw bikes with all the computerized crap that requires scan tools that cost more than my c-10 did.

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 02:43:42 pm »
yup. carbs are easy. fi isn't hard either once you understand it.  :beerchug:

Offline bajasam

• Training Wheels
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:22 pm »
it isnt that i dont understand fi, its all these manufactuers have their own proprietary scanners and software that always seems to cost several thousand dollars.the most expensive tool i use for my c-10 and other bike is probably my fluke and it also works on the car truck and house also, not just one piece of machinery. no doubt theres a character or two on here who luv to hear themselves render an un-needed opinion but plenty of others who appreciate your views are also on this forum so dont jump ship amigo.