Author Topic: Overflow Tubes  (Read 448 times)

Offline Concurious

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Overflow Tubes
« on: September 05, 2019, 05:33:45 pm »
Is there any way to tell that a bike has had overflow tubes added without removing the float bowls (aside from waiting gasoline to pool on the floor of my garage)? I have been having trouble finding pictures for comparison, but haven't been terribly successful. Would be good information for prospective buyers!
Current Bikes:2002 Concours, 2016 Zongshen TT250
Past Bikes:1983 Yamaha Vision, 1991 Kawasaki ex500, 2006 SV650S, 2003 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2005 SV100S

Offline BrianD

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11685
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Overflow Tubes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:36:40 pm »
According to SISF, put a hose on one of the float bowl drain nipples and, with the drain screw closed tightly, blow into it.  If air passes through, you have overflow tubes.
Brian Dutton
Coventry, CT
'02 Concours

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:44:11 pm »
YUP. thats the sure fire test.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:41:47 pm by m in sc »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:06:20 pm »
Important; When you do the test, blow, not suck.
    {Don't ask me how I know}  :-X
       {Aww, I guess it's ok to ask. "Harry told me"}  :great:

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 10:00:30 pm »

Ride safe, Ted
Reminds me of a guy that used to work for my dad as a tv repairman.  Carrol had a real nice blue 70 firebird that had a carb issue.  On saturdays I'd go to lunch with him and another employee.  Carrol would walk over and lift the hood, pull the fuel line off and suck some gas in his mouth and spit it in the carb to prime it!  Then we'd go to DQ and get a cheesburger! ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 10:53:48 pm »

Ride safe, Ted
Reminds me of a guy that used to work for my dad as a tv repairman.  Carrol had a real nice blue 70 firebird that had a carb issue.  On saturdays I'd go to lunch with him and another employee.  Carrol would walk over and lift the hood, pull the fuel line off and suck some gas in his mouth and spit it in the carb to prime it!  Then we'd go to DQ and get a cheesburger! ;D

Back when real cars were driven by real men! 
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 11:13:41 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

Back when real cars were driven by real men!
Yes sir! :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:04:38 am »
Well reminds me of end of this scene...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 02:32:02 pm »
my GF drives my 62 , no power anything, pretty regular, this was her showing up to bring me a donut and coffee one day at work. does that count?  :) no pics of her with the 66 galaxie, yet.  :great:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:36:00 pm »
my GF drives my 62 , no power anything, pretty regular, this was her showing up to bring me a donut and coffee one day at work. does that count?  :) no pics of her with the 66 galaxie, yet.  :great:

nice ride... I learned to drive in that same car no power anything, and 3 speed manual column shifter... , and also a '56 Dodge Coronet... that was handed down to my sister from Dad, and then finally to me in High school...
 :)) :)) :)) >:( >:( >:D :)) :))
that 350 Red Ram Hemi didn't last long in my hands.. blowed it up a couple times, followed by a pair of '60 Chrysler Imperials (again, dad's cars... which I tortured severely...  just sompi'n about those "push button automatics", that made kids like me bring them up to 4k rpm in "N", and then punch the "L" or "L1" buttons...   :rotflmao: ), and then I got into MG's... smaller, and less money to fix...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 12:53:54 am »
Ahhhh yes......land yachts.

My best friend in high school "inherited" a '55 New Yorker from his dad. 331 Hemi as I recall, with a 2-speed tranny, shift lever on the dashboard.  He loved to get up to about 40  or so and slap it down into first.  Yeah that was fun.  That rolling steel mill wasn't quick, but it was smoooooooth.

My favorite car I owned was my '74 T-bird with the 460, bought used with about 7.3 million miles on it.  Every 200 miles I put in 25 gallons of gas (yes, EIGHT miles per gallon) and a quart of oil.  Boot that baby on the freeway and open up the quad, and it laid a smoke screen four lanes wide that put the Batmobile to shame.  It didn't actually accelerate, but everybody else slammed on their brakes 'cause they couldn't see, so it was almost the same. 

How's this fer a thread 'jack??  Sorry................... :-[

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:03:41 am by Nosmo »
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 03:07:33 am »
Inherited from my grandfather a two ton 1967 CHRYSLER 300, 2-door Coupe, in a very dark green metallic with black vinyl top. Had a 440 ENGINE in front of a 727 tran. Eight miles to a gallon maybe if your foot was light. Less than four otherwise at it's age then.

Had a bucket seat you and your girlfriend fit in together perfectly and oh what a back seat it had. A larger than life Sportier Land Yacht Legend from another era it was. Looked like a morphed Mustang Fastback on a triple dose of pumped. Would you believe me if I said it handled on backwoods Georgia/Tennessee mountain roads?! It did.

Yeah my girlfriend was the size and shape of a Marisa Tomei. She  looked good anywhere, but surely surrounded by all that chrome and black vinyl in that 300's interior, she looked magnificent! The Chrysler designers made that car to showcase the likes of her hotness in the lap of bygone luxury!

We are a darn far cry from overflow tubes and C10s. But thanks for stoking that memory guys!