Author Topic: Oversize piston rings for 1986 Concours, where are they available to purchase  (Read 771 times)

Offline 1986 Concours

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10562
  • Membership Level: Active
Hi,  I need to rebore the cylinders and have difficulty finding piston rings thru my dealer or Bike Bandit.

Wiseco also also shows no stock, 

Does anyone know where I could locate OS rings (Kawasaki) ?

Thanks - Alex in Calgary

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
I doesn't work that way, to my knowledge the factory didn't offer oversize pistons. Wiseco has the 1039 kit, unless they've d/c'ed it. Boring and buying pistons is expensive, it would be cheaper to buy a good used set of pistons and cylinders. SERIOUSLY! HTH, steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
It looks like Kawasaki does offer .5 mm oversized rings and pistons (you'll need both, see parts 13025 and 13029 in the link below), but Steve is right, you can get low mileage cylinders and pistons for a fraction of the cost or you may be able to use your pistons with low mileage cylinders.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/27/Year/1986/ModelID/4106/Model/Concours/GroupID/128930/Group/Cylinder_Piston%28s%29

HTH,
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline 1986 Concours

• Big Wheels
Thanks, Steve and GF,  The dealer and the cycle parts Man list OS pistons and Rings  0.50,  I never thought if getting another barrell set.

The cause of the issue was over fueling, washing down the bores, the piston skirts show scuffing.  My main question to move on is was the bottom end messed up with this issue.  The previous owner shared with me that he had worked on the carbs and identifier mis assembly of the jets somehow, (which he corrected) and for the time i have driven it I would agree.  However I really don't know or how to tell the condition of the bottom end.  My understanding is the con rods, can move sideways, about .020, but should have no "Wobble",  which seems to be the case.

I appreciate your suggestions, however there is risk (perceived or real) in purchasing a set of barrels sight unseen.  I am assuming the sources would be Ebay.  I will take a look, if I can go with Standard stuff that would alleviate the parts acquision issue.

I would appreciate any more insights you may have.

Thanks alot

Alex

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
It's normal for piston skirts to show some scuffing. It's not a big deal until the pistons are worn enough that they are loose in the bore and can rock. How much that is is a judgment call.

As for the bottom end, unless you have reason to, I wouldn't take it apart. However that is the only way to know for certain whether the bearings and crank are still good. Was the motor knocking? Why did you take it apart in the first place, was the compression low? Did you check for a bent rod?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline 1986 Concours

• Big Wheels
Thanks Willy,

Answers to your questions,  Low Compression, now that it is apart, the cause was overfueling due to misassembly of the carbs, which was corrected by the previous owner, and I will verify.   I agree with you, it would take alot to blow out a bottom end.  I am going to recheche the Con Rod Wobble, and hopefully move forward with another set of barrels and pistons off Ebay.