Author Topic: Perfect timing (for disaster)  (Read 522 times)

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7653
  • Membership Level: Active
Perfect timing (for disaster)
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:54 am »
When I had my C-10 apart last June for a cooling system makeover, I broke my ankle and the bike had to sit, I couldn't get up the ramp to the shed where I do the work. Gas went bad. Cooling system makeover along with some small lighting upgrades turned into a mess of forgotten fasteners and frozen calipers and carb cleaning.

This week I FINALLY got the cooling system finished, new battery, and stuck enough of the bike back together to ride it.
Managed to back it down the lift and down the ramp in the dark with my bad ankle (stronger every day but still can't twist it), managed to get it out into the driveway with only a headlight, seat, and motor attached, and rode it far enough to get a couple gallons of fuel.

Even with the brake dragging a little bit, the bike was handling as well as it always has and I was really relieved and happy even though cylinder #2 isn't firing (let's hope it's a fouled plug dammit I don't wanna pull the carbs again), and at the EXACT MOMENT, after all the intentional riding up and down the neighborhood, the gas station, and idling and doing some tight work in the nearby school parking lot, the EXACT MOMENT I put my feet down to walk the bike through my carport, the lowest coolant hose blew off, spewing boiling water all over my left ankle.

There were some new sounds added to my vocabulary before the toxic coolant fumes shut me up, I couldn't push forward but I managed to pull backwards out of the choking antifreeze fumes and get the sidestand down.

Then even though I thought I should be frustrated, instead I laughed, because SHE GOT ME HOME before she blew up. She always gets me home.

It was a hose that cut loose near the water pump, which I don't understand because I was pretty sure I went back through all the hose clamps and snugged them all up before I lowered the lift. And the ankle (my remaining good ankle, thank you) is inflamed but my dirty work jeans got hit before my skin did so I'm not badly burned at all. This is hopefully going to be a quick fix. I'm honestly more worried about cylinder #2 than the wayward coolant hose.
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Perfect timing (for disaster)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:42:12 am »
 :-[Dang Jen. If it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. :truce: Hope you can get her all back up and running. Then come see us. :)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Dr. Funkenstein

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11262
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:39 pm »
Damn Jenn!  It would be hard to hold up a C10 with a bad ankle getting spewed on by hot antifreeze!  Glad you made it through ok.  Hopefully cylinder 2 was just a little groggy and is taking a while to wake up after its long nap.  If you need any help (or parts I may have) just let me know.
Kevin

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »
Hay haven"t heard from you in a while. Yes these bikes can be challenging! I sometimes
think they just test our ability to put up with them. I always believe I am going to win
these little test. Good you were not hurt badly. Get back to her, get her in shape and
RIDE!

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:19:53 pm »
Thanks y'all, I'm trying really hard to get the bike ship-shape for the national. I don't wanna miss it this year!

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:37:46 pm »
"....... I was pretty sure I went back through all the hose clamps and snugged them all up......."

Famous last words, I've said them myself.  :-[ 

You may be aware of this old trick, but if not, borrow a hint from us old airplane guys and mark every fastener/clamp as you tighten them.  There is professional stuff called "torque putty", "inspection putty" or such, but fingernail polish works the trick also.  After tightening an important nut, bolt, clamp, whatever, dab some nail polish across it so you can be sure you've "been there".   It will also show you later on if it has loosened up, the stuff will be cracked, broken.

Good save on not going over, glycol is also slippery.

https://www.durablesupply.com/dytaprtoma.html
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 09:08:23 am »
That picture you painted for us is pretty ugly Jenn. Hot antifreeze on your healing ankle, nasty fumes and slippery to boot. Glad it didn't turn into more of a disaster! Heal up quickly.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 05:23:46 am »
"....... I was pretty sure I went back through all the hose clamps and snugged them all up......."

fingernail polish works the trick also.  After tightening an important nut, bolt, clamp, whatever, dab some nail polish across it so you can be sure you've "been there".   It will also show you later on if it has loosened up, the stuff will be cracked, broken.

AHAHAHHA I can see the hot pink polish all over the bike already!

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 05:24:59 am »
That picture you painted for us is pretty ugly Jenn. Hot antifreeze on your healing ankle, nasty fumes and slippery to boot. Glad it didn't turn into more of a disaster! Heal up quickly.

It was just too much to not laugh at it all. I swear this bike is my witch's familiar.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 05:36:38 am »

fingernail polish works the trick also.  After tightening an important nut, bolt, clamp, whatever, dab some nail polish across it so you can be sure you've "been there".   It will also show you later on if it has loosened up, the stuff will be cracked, broken.

I wanna see it girl... it was good for Joan, and I may do atrbute bike for her,,,, in PINK... keep on..... :great: :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline millerized

• Crotch Rocket
  • Sacred Cow Stomper
  • COG#: 6425
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 02:53:43 pm »

We called it 'torqueseal', but it IS available in pink these days.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3SQHHR/
I marked the project bike in purple. It's a simple solution to 'did I tighten that bolt'?
Millerized
As politically incorrect as you can get without a warning label or license.
CDA111

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 08:40:29 pm »

We called it 'torqueseal', but it IS available in pink these days.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3SQHHR/
I marked the project bike in purple. It's a simple solution to 'did I tighten that bolt'?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
We required it's use on all the bolted copper bar connections in our huge static switches, which had like 1000 bolts, connecting about 1500# of 1/4" x 4" copper bars... 4 bolts per connection point, all torqued... any loose ones when carrying 4000Amps @ 480-600V, would get "HOT"...

we spec'd the bright orange torque seal gooby snot... but watched guys torque like 30 bolts... then go back and "goober-mark them"...
kinda defeated the system...

works great when you "torque, mark, and do the next one... torque, mark".. but in essence they never follow directions.

Hey, Jim, I know you of all people have gone back out, after quitting for the night, and just had to check if we missed a bolt.. that we thought we missed...... well, at least I will admit to it... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline millerized

• Crotch Rocket
  • Sacred Cow Stomper
  • COG#: 6425
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:48 pm »
Hey, Jim, I know you of all people have gone back out, after quitting for the night, and just had to check if we missed a bolt.. that we thought we missed...... well, at least I will admit to it... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'm sure it was even caught on camera once or twice.
There was way more purple paint marker on that project bike than it ever needed.

But I've been sure enough about my work over the years that I would do way more "maintenance" than necessary, the night before a trip.
"Hmmm....I wonder what the insides of the carbs look like after that last tank of gas? I'm leaving in 8hrs...I have time".
Millerized
As politically incorrect as you can get without a warning label or license.
CDA111

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 05:03:14 pm »
I'm sure it was even caught on camera once or twice.
There was way more purple paint marker on that project bike than it ever needed.

But I've been sure enough about my work over the years that I would do way more "maintenance" than necessary, the night before a trip.
"Hmmm....I wonder what the insides of the carbs look like after that last tank of gas? I'm leaving in 8hrs...I have time".

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 07:36:30 pm »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MAN... BT/DT... and got the shirt.....

iirc '06, about 11:30 p.m. night before going to RWTW...  with an overnighter in Robbinsville on the way...

Bike fully packed;
I KNOW it's gonna rain... you and I both KNOW this...  >:( :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Look at tires.... oh crap. those will never make it round trip.....
Bike on Center stand... COGZilla on Center stand...
remove COGZilla wheels, rotors and matching pads...
Remove TOG's associated shoes and socks..
Install COGZilla parts on TOG... go to bed...

wake up in morn, groggy, get geared up, walk out, hit key... nada... nada.... nada... >:( :??:

Play "Whack-A-Mole" with the J box... hmmmmm :??:
Pull COGZilla J box and install... hit key... and make time... ;) ;) :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great:
Toss extra spare J box in tank bag...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: