Author Topic: Pocket fairing panels glove box hatch?  (Read 392 times)

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
Pocket fairing panels glove box hatch?
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:42:30 pm »
I am talking about the panels on either side of the gas tank that have the glove box in them. The glove box is not so handy dandy because I have to remove the key to unlock them,I may not be able to fully open them,if the handle bars are in the wrong position, the glove box hatch will not stay in the open position and the hatch is likely to become detached when opened. I would think there is be a better way to cover the glove box? But I have  not found one yet!  Do other people have this problem?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Pocket fairing panels glove box hatch?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »
I am talking about the panels on either side of the gas tank that have the glove box in them. The glove box is not so handy dandy because I have to remove the key to unlock them,I may not be able to fully open them,if the handle bars are in the wrong position, the glove box hatch will not stay in the open position and the hatch is likely to become detached when opened. I would think there is be a better way to cover the glove box? But I have  not found one yet!  Do other people have this problem?

Depends on if you want to secure the items, or simply use it for stuff that can be stolen without being an issue...
Simply adding a strip of duct tape, to the inside surfaces of the dover and box, while in the fully open position answers the issue of it detaching when opened, free, and easilynreplaced when so desired.
For unlocking the latch, make a couple key copies, common key most locksmiths can cut one, then cut the top off, and epoxy the blade into a small volume control knob from a discarded radio, or even just stick the head of the key into a plastic pop bottle cap, and fill it with JB Weld to make a knob, drill a hole thru the knob and install a small lanyard loop with a dogleash clip, and clip it to your clutch line, or throttle cable...to prevent loss... just remember not to leave it on the bike and walk away...clip it to your keys when parking.

The pre 94 models were a real joke, as they had a naugha hide cover with snaps on it, making it a non secure storage area, and a cover that eventually self destructed...

If security isnt a concern, strips of velcro attached to the cover, and fairing work well to retain the cover, and provide tight closure...
Can also be used to prevent lid loss at the hinge area ...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:39:55 pm »
I think I am not concerned about security, because I would not be keeping valuables in them.  I think I am more concerned about quick and easy access.  I just don't want the wind to blow item out on the road.

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:05:53 pm »
Wait 'til you try to use the helmet lock with the bags on.

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:44:17 am »
In reference to helmet locks;a.make an L shape lock mover b.go to any motorcycle parts place or online and get a set of the T shaped brackets that go through d-ring on helmet.
As far as the knob/locks on fairing covers check with a hardware store before spending big bucks.
                                                                                                                                                                                     The Wizard(match need with source;used parts)
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline JPD

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:50:28 pm »
So far I have never tried to open mine while riding. I store spare fuses, tie down straps, usb cables, a cable lock for my jackets ect. They use the same key as my helmet locks and seat lock. All things I do when I am off the bike. I put my gps in one when parked away from home and like that they lock. The use of the key also keeps me from forgetting to take the ignition key when I rush to take off my gear and get going.

Yes you have to have the bars in the correct position to open them, but it is a great use of space and many bikes don't have them.

Offline Sparkie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:43 pm »
Ice man, it sounds like you need a tank bag. Everything right there in front of you for easy access. Even while riding. Glove box access can be used for things that need to be more secure.
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 05:33:20 pm »
Ice man, it sounds like you need a tank bag. Everything right there in front of you for easy access. Even while riding. Glove box access can be used for things that need to be more secure.

I have a tank bag I take it with me when I leave the bike. It work good.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:33:22 am »
Back in July?? of 2017 I posted my Fairing Glove Box Fix. I reversed the locksets so the locking tabs face forward... rendering them useless on purpose. Then I affixed VELCRO fuzzy tabs to the underside of the lids, folded nearly onto themselves. Then a Postage size VELCRO hooks square onto the outer edge close to the lid. Good to 102/mph. They DON'T open up. I'm not at my Computer with Photos, but they're here in COG somewhere. Locomotiveman
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:38:44 am »
Yeah.... there my Fairing Pocket Fairing Fix Pics are, June 19th., 2017. SEARCH 'Velcro Lids'. I love em'. Clean, tidy, simple. Locomotiveman
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:25:25 pm »
Some have replaced the key latches with knob latches.
Or, you can have some spare keys made, cut off the tops and epoxy radio knobs onto the key.

I did the knob/key trick for my C-14 bags.
   Works fine and I can remove the knob/keys when I need added security.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org