Author Topic: Poster of connie leaving.....Colorado springs  (Read 633 times)

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9065
  • Membership Level: Active
Poster of connie leaving.....Colorado springs
« on: September 14, 2019, 12:39:06 am »
I had this request posted on another area of the forum, and thought maybe I'd get a better response here in the c10 area

I came Into a large poster title the Kawasaki concourse leaves gusippies restaurant in colorado springs. Its approximately 24x30 inches and shows a couple of couples on c10s pulling out of the lot.  I have found some similar advertisements in an older issue of AMA magazine showing the same scene..   it was also the cover of one of the  member directories

The question I posed to the fellow citizens of our 'COGDOM' is does anyone know where and how these posters were distributed? Were they a one year only promotion?   Any info would be helpful.  I believe  that Gusippies is now permanently closed, and I just wonder who the original artist is/was and whether the poster could.be modified to include a c14 along with one of the c10 bikes in the poster. 

Anybody know anything about it...?

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Poster of connie leaving.....Colorado springs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:18 pm »
I don't recall ever seeing it.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »
Seems like it was part of a program put on by Kawasaki...there was the poster in question...one about a store or restaurant on Mount Rainer...and several more...maybe the Kawasaki demo truck was at each event...I don’t remember...but, I do remember Kawasaki was behind it...

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 11:00:21 pm »
Seems like it was part of a program put on by Kawasaki...there was the poster in question...one about a store or restaurant on Mount Rainer...and several more...maybe the Kawasaki demo truck was at each event...I don’t remember...but, I do remember Kawasaki was behind it...

Kawasaki did that promo in 1989. One of the locations was at Alice’s Restaurant on June 4th 1989. I am sure of the date because I still have the T shirt my wife got me from the Kawasaki booth. They also had some small posters with the Ninja on it they handed out. They went around the country to certain big name locations where motorcyclist gathered on a regular basis.

What size is the poster? And is it drawing or an actual photo? The small, l think 6x8 picture shows the Ninja in front of Alice’s. If memory services me correctly, I think there were drawings of different motorcycles for each location. And each one had the date.

Rider Magazine, probably other MC magazines too ran an ad that stated “Alice’s Restaurant” June 4th, 1989. That was basically it. We knew there was something going on so we were there. Kawasaki went all out with displays. They also ran ads for other locations.

I will find the picture/poster that I think I stillhave, and post it here.

Ride safe! We live in a crazy, crazy world today.

UPDATE: Google Kawasaki Hangouts, you will get some additional info and locations concerning the ads I am talking about. They also state that larger posters were available from Kawasaki.

Regards,

Donaldj

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:47:16 am by donaldj »
Vintage43

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 12:56:21 am »
Actual size of poster is 24 by 36 inches.  I would describe it as a drawing done from a photo. 

After doing some crazy web research it turns out in 1989, Kawasaki came out with 3 ads for the concours which depicted water colored renditions of famous area restaurants and the fun with which riding a motorcycle brings. 

The first ad was for Marcus dairy in Danbury Ct. For april 16th 1989.
The second d ad was for Alice's restaurant for june 8th 1989,
The third was for Giuseppe's restaurant  colorado springs  October 1 1989.

I found the info in american motorcyclist magazine October 1989 vol 43 issues #10.

What's even more amazing was the information immediately after this, annouced the formation of the concours owners group!!!

I know somewhere I saw the complete pictorial listing of all the cog members directorys, and one of years actually had the print for guiseppe's/concours on its cover. I'm guessing 1989-1991. 

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 01:18:07 am »
I remember seeing all of the locations years ago. I had a feeling it might be related to those ads.. Glad you found the info. Mystery solved. An artist named Woolf I think was the guy that did the drawing,
Ride safe man and God Bless!
Donald
Vintage43

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:01:54 am »
Yes bruce wolfe...!  Part.of my search error was I had left out 'depot's in my inquiries.

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 02:03:44 am »
That's the magazine ad.  The actual poster doesn't have all the advertising verbiage on it...

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 02:27:23 am »
Pretty sure I have most of a copy of that poster somewhere...

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 10:46:23 am »
Thanks for posting a copy of the ad, I do remember that one. It was a cool advertising gimmick! What’s sad is I can’t wear my T-shirt any more. I have put on a little weight in the past 30 years!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:28:40 pm by donaldj »
Vintage43

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 12:02:29 am »
Very cool thread. This definately takes me back down memory lane, even though it doesn't seem to be that long ago. :??:
I have a magazine with the one from a Georgia location. Think maybe it was Soches?
I'll have to locate it and post here. :great: :great:
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:11 am »
It’s good to ride down memory lane every now and then Doug. :great: :motonoises:
Vintage43

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 12:19:44 pm »
Love to see the suchess ad...  saw someone has one for the Voyager camping by a lake on ebay.....also cool to see, but I t hi ink hes asking to much...

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »
They are a great bike! I liked them and the Yamaha Venture Royale better than the Goldwing. In fact I just sold the Yamaha I had 3 months ago, down to two now, and my wife would like me to get down to 0. That ain’t happening anytime soon! The C-10 is my all around favorite, has been since they came out.
 :)
Vintage43

Offline Rain Dancer

• Street Cruiser
  • Just Ridin' in the rain......
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10523
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 08:15:14 pm »
Didn't Kawasaki do the adds using famous places, and people started showing up. So, Kawasaki started actually having rallies. We had one in New Hope Pa way back when. Need to go to the attic and pull all my Rider mags out now.
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."  Dennis Miller

1997Connie (rip?), 2004 FJR, 1983 xs650, 1980 xs11

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 11:09:26 pm »
Here is a link about that advertising promo. https://www.ammoland.com/2016/09/kawasaki-the-hangouts/#axzz5zjaCLlfj
BTW their first event drew over 7500 riders. I have an old "City Bike" newspaper printed in San Francisco on+ July of 1989 that said between 3500-4000 people showed up at the one at Alice's Restaurant. This was one of the cleverest advertising promotions I have seen. I you have old motorcycle from 1989 and 1990 you should have all of the advertisements.
ride safe. :motonoises:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:14:25 pm by donaldj »
Vintage43

Offline konehead

• Road Bike
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 12:02:32 am »
Glad we're all enjoying the trip down memory lane.  My initial purpose to the posting ( the original one I posted in a different segment of the forum), was more of a hopeful wish, that the artist or creator of ' the connie leaving giuseppe's depot', would be able to recreate the scene and do it with a c14 and a c10.  Much like what harry martin does for rally's and cog events, since the introduction of the c14.  Nearly all of Harry's work includes both the c10 and c14.  That is of course if the artist creator was a cog member.

The history regarding the ad, and all the other venues that were involved are amazing.  Knowing that the advertising firm had hired bruce wolfe to create them, kills that opportunity. 

It does make we wonder if somewhere theres a warehouse of old kawasaki posters just waiting to be 'discovered'.  Makes me wanna get friendly with  the manager of an old kawasaki dealership...

Ride safe and check those attics and garages for our 'art'.