Author Topic: Prime Setting on C10 petcock  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Prime Setting on C10 petcock
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 06:25:52 pm »
Dennis, I had (have) the same issue.  After you did all that you wrote about how did it turn out?
1986 Concours "Blueberry"
2015 Honda CTX700 "Phantom"

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9226
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 09:35:24 pm »
Did anybody suggest the fuel house from the petcock to the carbs mighht be leaking fuel so it looked like it was coming from the air box?  That's the only thing I can think of that would happen only when running.
1987 Concours

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:38 am »
Did anybody suggest the fuel house from the petcock to the carbs mighht be leaking fuel so it looked like it was coming from the air box?  That's the only thing I can think of that would happen only when running.

If a needle valve fails to seat the bike will pump gas out the airbox while it's running. As long as it's running it's not hydrolocked.
Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 01:41:38 am »
Ya'll commenting on a thread nearly a year old. The OP only posted 6x. Pretty sure this one is dead.  ;)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 02:19:32 am »
Ya'll commenting on a thread nearly a year old. The OP only posted 6x. Pretty sure this one is dead.  ;)

yes, but someone is learning from it, so it's OK.  ;)  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 11:34:50 am »

It is an older post, however it looks like Shipple88 was doing some research and was hoping for an answer to a problem he may have. Hopefully SIS was able to help him.  :great:
Vintage43

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 08:27:05 pm »
Thanks DonaldJ!  My friend and I ended up taking the tank off, doing all the testing and prepping for hydrolock etc.  Everything was fine with the plugs and no gas in the cylinder.  Cylinders were all straight and clean.  Next step was to change the oil.  Thats where the fun started.  The "oil" was about 50/50 oil and gasoline mixed.  Somehow the gas had gone from the tank to the oil area and the two had mixed together. We let it drain for at least 1/2 hour.

After reassembly of everything we put a gallon or two of gas in the tank  She started up fine and I ran maybe 5 miles at low RPM through his neighborhood.  We went back to the garage and drained the oil which was now about 95% oil, 5% gas.  I had the bike transported from Maryland to Lynchburg VA by a guy on U-Ship.  Nice guy and a good price.  Got it a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to the DMV to register it tomorrow.  (I may have run a couple of miles in the meantime using the license plates from my CTX700 but that is only a rumor!!!!) 

When I had left it on Prime (Thinking PRI was Primary) I had also just dropped the bike.  Anyway - when I talked about gas "gushing" out of the airbox it really was a gas/oil mix coming through the venturi part of the oil system inside the airbox.  The mixture in the sump was so full it had to escape somewhere and then the gas kept refilling the sump. 

Long story short she runs again!

Thanks to steve for explaining the venturi to me and then some sleuthing from myself and Andrew S (2006 Concours owner). 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:22 am »
  I had the bike transported from Maryland to Lynchburg VA by a guy on U-Ship.  Nice guy and a good price.  Got it a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to the DMV to register it tomorrow.  (I may have run a couple of miles in the meantime using the license plates from my CTX700 but that is only a rumor!!!!) 

cautionary note;
depending on where you go, to get your title work and registration done, they may or may not just rely on the "paper"... been there/done that in Va., and also back here in Ohio....
Ohio requires visual verification (by the person doing the title documentation at the bureau) that the actual bike's frame number and title number match... this forces the bike to be "presented" for examination/confirmation, and also forces the owner (unless he trailers it in) to buy a "temp tag"...$$ red tape...to ride it in;  same applied in Va., when I wanted to title my Ohio titled bike there (again $$ temp tag)... first thing they do is look at the plate if they walk out to inspect it. (and Va. also has a mandatory M/C inspection, just like cars/trucks)... so save yourself the hassle, and fines $$$$, and get the temp tag, it's cheaper than the ticket, and your gonna need an inspection anyways.

best of luck, and hope you enjoy payin "luxury tax" yearly... I always hated that part... >:( >:( >:(

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 12:22:48 pm »
In VA last week I was able to title and register with just the WV title in hand. You will pay tax on the book value not the selling price and there is a min tax for older vehicles. 2005 $75.00 tax, $28.00 registration with standard plate don't remember how much for the title. I have not got the inspection done yet, I need a license plate light. If you need the temp plate to bring a bike into VA you can do it online and it is about $5.00 and only good for 3 days.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 07:35:24 pm »
I wasn't talking about "sales tax", I was talking about the yearly "county levied" Luxury tax...
which you have to pay every single year... until the bike is old enough to be "exempt"...
Not sure how it's "structured" today, but if you buy a new vehicle, you don't begin the luxury tax until the following calender year... but then it's allways gonna be there, for many years... which really frosted me...

case in point, I moved to Va. in '02, and brought my 1978 KZ1000Ltd, which I had purchased in 1979, in OHIO, and fully paid sales tax on at that time... after I titled it in Va., I had to pay yearly tax "to my county" on that bike, up until 2008...when it became "old enough to be exempt"...
add in those same theft taxes to my '86 and '88 conni's, and my '08 C14 (ok, It was a new bike)... but it's just theft.... after all, you pay fuel, tire, etc., excise taxes for everything, then add in the original "sales tax", and every year a registration/plate and inspection fee that has taxes on each...
that's simply ridiculous. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

"Commonwealth" my eye.... :-[ ::)
Glad to be back in Oh-Hi-Oh....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

rant over,
ride safe y'all... :great:

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 03:06:16 am »
I feel you on the county taxes. If you think VA county tax is bad try NY property and school tax. They all seam to get you one way or another.

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 10:18:49 pm »
I have more fun issues!!!  I've been running on very low gas because of all the 'gas getting into the oil' issues.  Other day I think I ran out (visually inspected inside the tank and saw very little gas in it) and tried a uturn to get down the hill and back towards my house.  U-turn at 3 mph of course led to Blueberry taking a fall onto her left side (very nice guy cutting his grass helped me pick her back up.) 
Now I've put in two gallons of gas and got a new fuel leak.  I've tracked it down to a tube that runs between carbs 1 and 2 (1 is the far left carb)  There's also the same tube between carbs 3 and 4 but that doesn't leak. 
What is the tube between 1 and 2 and what should I do?  I've drained the bowls on carbs 1 and 2 once each and started it and got the same problem.
Oh....... and i found out this is a CA model.  Any way to remove all the CA emissions crap?

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 10:28:07 pm »
I just found somewhere else on here that it is a vent tube.  What is that for and why is it 'venting' gas?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2019, 10:42:27 pm »
there's a "vent" from the float bowls, to atmosphere between 1-2 & 3-4, both run clear hoses up, along the backbone, and terminate at the rear of the airbox on the frame.
They are necessary to allow "atmosphere" to enter, and allow fuel flow into the carbs... if they were sealed, it would be like trying to "shove" liquid into a straw, which is covered by a finger and shoved into a glass of liquid... untill you remove the finger, the straw will not "fill".
there is also a "fuel rail" between these carbs, the black fitting the fuel flows into, and it ties all 4 carbs together to be fed by the single fuel hose.

if you are getting fuel from either "vent" hose attachment, the carb is over filling, and attention to the float level/float needles shutoff sealing is immediately called for... hydroloc is gonna follow shortly if not.

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 12:36:16 pm »
Thanks MOB.  So best bet for me is to either keep draining the carbs and hoping it clears out some debris or taking them off and opening them up.  I'm not comfortable going inside a carb so if it comes to that I'll have to find a mechanic with gray hair that remembers what a carburetor is.
Hopefully multiple drainings work.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »
Thanks MOB.  So best bet for me is to either keep draining the carbs and hoping it clears out some debris or taking them off and opening them up.  I'm not comfortable going inside a carb so if it comes to that I'll have to find a mechanic with gray hair that remembers what a carburetor is.

Some good reading iif'n you haven't already:

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/intake-and-exhaust

Lots of good reading and how to videos there. And he does have grey hair and knows his way around carbbies. He is in the process of moving so do keep that in mind.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 03:49:53 pm »
No .. that wont work.
Hopefull and drainings will not prevent hydrolock,. You MUST install oveflow tubes to prevent hydrolock. 
You have been given tons of  excellent advise. Please install overflow tubes. You can send  carbs out for a  rebuild or just the bowls but we recommend the full service which includes the overflow tubes.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2019, 03:59:52 pm »
Tapping on the carbs and draining didn't work.  Looks like this weekend they'll be coming off and heading to SiSF.  (I'll check the rods before I send the carbs out.)  I just watched the video's about how to take them off and put them back on and think I can handle that.  I'll be buying a heat gun before the weekend work.  Thanks all for the advice.

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:45 pm »
Guess who pulled his carbs today!  Your video is awesome SISF!  I didnt even need the heat gun.  Bit I do have some extra tubes in there.  I think it's my CA emissions stuff.  I'll look on the service manual tonight after dinner.  Going to check the floats tonight.  I did the bent rod resta and no problems with that or gas spitting out the spark plug holes.  I have some $$ issues right now so the florida spa is out of my price range.  😭  But now at least I know how to get them out when i need to. 
The hardest part was getting the throttle cables to disconnect after i got the carbs out. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2019, 11:13:52 pm »
you are just on the tip of the ice berg...
and haven't gotten to the "hard part yet".

from someone with gray hair...
 :rotflmao:

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 02:54:25 am »
Guess who pulled his carbs today!  Your video is awesome SISF!  I didnt even need the heat gun.  Bit I do have some extra tubes in there.  I think it's my CA emissions stuff.  I'll look on the service manual tonight after dinner.  Going to check the floats tonight.  I did the bent rod resta and no problems with that or gas spitting out the spark plug holes.  I have some $$ issues right now so the florida spa is out of my price range.  😭  But now at least I know how to get them out when i need to. 
The hardest part was getting the throttle cables to disconnect after i got the carbs out.

Sorry to say, but the hardest part will be reconnecting them.   :(
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 09:16:56 am »
Just remember to install the throttle cables before you install the carbs.  It can be done afterwards, but lots easier while they are out.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 08:42:30 pm »
pizza cake... either way, in or out...
 :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao:

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2019, 12:45:53 am »
Floats felt nice and springy and I pulled out the little doohickies that they push up to close up the fuel flow and nothing looked funky in there.  Put it all back together and I'll do the install tomorrow morning.  Pizza cake sounds tasty.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."