Author Topic: Race Tech Kit: Big Difference  (Read 2246 times)

Offline JackFunTeach

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8467
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Race Tech Kit: Big Difference
« on: October 26, 2008, 05:13:00 am »
Howdie COG Brothers:  Just wanted to share the results of my front fork modification.  I did the full Race Tech Fork upgrade kit. When I first got the bike, a month ago, the bike was diving hard, handling like a wheel barrel when using the front brakes.  At high speed (80 mph and up) the bike would wandering and shake.  Now after installing the full Race tech kit: emulators, straight rate springs (.98s - not the firmest ones - medium ones), and went with synthetic 10 wt fork oil, the bike is not just a little bit better, it's a huge different...just a real joy to ride on any surface now.    My initial riding impression of this upgrade is:  1. No more immediate dive upon braking (no more wheel barrel.)  2. Slow speed bumps feel more like a "slow motion" down, and smoothly gets right back up for the next bump.  This means less impact to neck and shoulders, and hence less chiropratic visits, less pain, more joy of riding.  3. High speed is way more predicatability going into curves and manuerving on the high way is now rock solid.  Cross winds and "bad air" from trucks is still there, but much less wandering.  4. The rear now works with the front.  Before it was all just jammed down in the front with the wheel barrel problem.  Plain and simple, it's great.  Cost was $180 for the kit, and 2 hours labor (my mechanic did the install).  A lot of coin, but well worth it to me.      I'm thinking on getting murphs front fork brace.  Anyone installed ones of these?  I'm wondering will it greatly improve steering into turns.  It seems that I still have to push it into turns, and there seems to be a slight delay.  Just not quite a quick turn in?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.    Jack  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 05:18:00 am by JackFunTeach »

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:00 am »
what tires do you have ?   Fork brace is ok. Although I would look at tires too.  2003 Concours  COG #6953  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline JackFunTeach

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8467
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:49:00 am »
Hi Slybones,  Tires?  I have the Avon avaro and the Metzler Z6 on the front.  Some people say that I should match the front with a Avon storm.  Please report that I'll get a much quicker and predictable response with the Avon on the front.  I might try it.    Jack  

Offline Charlie_Gary_AAD

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 8048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:35:00 am »
I've never riden the MetzelerZ6, so I can't say if it's better or worse than the Avon.  I can say the Storm has only given the best feedback and grip when compared to the stock Dunlops.    The fork brace will help the front end feel more solid.  Money well spent for what you get.  Murph's Kits is one of those rare businesses that delivers more than you pay for when compared to other places.      Later,           Charlie
Later, 
Charlie - NWAAD
COG# 8048
AMA# 603377
Re-defining the phrase "Rides like a grandpa"

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »
Hi Jack, Sorry but I cannot report about the Avon Storm versus the Z6. Or how that particular combo will or will not handle. I have never tried them.    I agree that the fork brace will help. I have one of them. Along with emulators, springs, oil and all that too. And I did them all at different times / steps as well. Its one of the few mods I got.    I asked about tires as you were referring to turn-in and pushing in turns. Tires are also going to play a big part. If your response is that you have Metzeler ME880s I am going to suggest you get rid of them first, before getting a fork brace. If you already have tires known for good quick turn in, then of course you need to look elsewhere. Like maybe a brace.     To me the first thing to find out is how that tire combo should be behaving asd a general rule, that IMO would suggest the next step in your plan.  2003 Concours  COG #6953  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Lake Cle Elum

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 282
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:24:00 am »
Agree 100% - The Race Tech kit is one of the best things I ever did to a Connie....  
Bob S.  Down to 15 m/c's - had 22  COG #282  AMA Life Member  Blue Knight Charter Life Member

Offline Vannooch_PA

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8488
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »
Where did you get it?  
'05 ZG 1000
'05 ZZR 1200

Offline Eddie-FL

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7073
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »
You can find them here http://www.racetech.com/ or here Murphskits. I recommend Murphs. No financial interest, YMMV, etc.    Eddie    2005 Concours  1969 Triumph Bonneville  AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136     http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:29:00 pm by Eddie M »
Anderson, SC
2015 Suzuki DL650XT "Grey Ghost"
1969 Triumph Bonneville 
AMA# 686667 COG# 7073   CDA# 0136

Offline Tony Shelver

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »
I haven't ridden the Z6, but the Avon Azaros turn in quicker then their predecessors, the Z4/2.    Worn tires tend to turn in slower.  I don't think the fork brace will help turn in speed.      Some suggestions: now that the front end is stiffer, probably it is riding higher.  Jacking up the preload on the rear shock (air pressure) can help to speed up handling, as can an aftermarket shock.     Wider bars give a bit more leverage and quicker steering, IIRC the Helis are noticeably wider than stock.  

Offline earnest_Potts_TX

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8682
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 11:30:00 pm »
Have you replaced the shock or the shock oil? my   connie's rear needs fixing. Help me out.  Oh, Avon Storm on the front and the stock Dunlop on   the rear for now.  i am out.  e      

Offline kwn306

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 6049
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »
Check my post on Murph's Fat Bastard (or Reg Bastard) in the C-10 Accessories section.      My C-10 has 141K, I have changed the oil so many times in the rear shock I can do it start to finish in about 45 minutes.  The first time or two it made a difference for about 5K, since then it has done nothing.  I started doing this when the C-10 had 10K on the clock.    The wife claimed if I didn't improve the ride she was going to buy another new Caddilac  :8o:  I hurried up and called Murph, best $$$ I have spent in a long while on the old girl, she's now ready for another 100K.    Kurt & Sue Nordstrom  Spotsylvania, VA  COG 6049 & 6049A  VA & WV Assistant Area Directors  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:39:00 pm by kwn306 »
Kurt Nordstrom  Spotsylvania, VA  COG 6049

This message has been sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.

Rain, Snow, Sleet, or Shine, caged or in the wind, I'll see ya there.