Author Topic: Rats!  (Read 554 times)

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
Rats!
« on: December 20, 2018, 04:18:32 pm »
Was finally able to pussy foot the C10 out from the garage through a mushy yard to hit some solid concrete that goes to the front porch. My usual path from the gate is to head straight out to the street, but that section of the yard is still basically mush, made even worse from parking my truck there. That has been moved to the other side of the house, and I spent most of yesterday patching up the muddy trenches, broadcasting out a load of grass seed, then covering up the damage with a layer of straw. I’ve finally decided to get that path paved in the spring, and will probably extend it all the way back to the garage. Gonna be pricey, but it needs done. Should have done it several years ago but didn’t want to get up off my wallet to put that kind of money out. Time to pay the piper.

This will probably be my last time out for awhile, at least on the C10. More rain is forecast to start in the next couple of hours, and they expect it to continue up until Christmas. Was able to get a ~50 mile ride in, and other than just getting some of this crap gas we’re blessed with flowing though the jets, the main purpose was to see if the (Audiovox) cruise control still worked. I just recently installed some Superbrightleds 1157-R3W tail light bulbs and strobe flasher and this was my first time out since doing so. Well, it didn’t.

I was fortunate when I installed the Cruise several years ago - it worked right out of the chute. Others have had to install an interposing relay to keep a solid ground on the Cruise’s “kill lead” so it would activate…..  up until the brakes were applied. When they were, the relay changed state to remove the ground and apply 12 volts from the brake light circuit to disengage the cruise. Wimpy pull down resistor in the Cruise’s logic is the assumed culprit, but that’s internal to the servo and pretty difficult to get to. I may try an external resistor to see if that works, and if not, I’ve got the relays. That will be a project for another day, just started raining.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Rats!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:32:00 pm »
After reading "rats" and "through a mushy yard" I thought you dropped your bike.

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:14:15 pm »
After reading "rats" and "through a mushy yard" I thought you dropped your bike.

+1  I was wondering why it wasn't in the CDA thread, as I started to read it...
Jennings Track Day (Feb 8-10), Jennings, Fl
HMR #6 (May 2-5), Greenbrier, AR

'14 C14 Black

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 07:39:23 pm »
I got this far and my mind overloaded...

Others have had to install an interposing relay to keep a solid ground on the Cruise’s “kill lead” so it would activate…..  up until the brakes were applied. When they were, the relay changed state to remove the ground and apply 12 volts from the brake light circuit to disengage the cruise. Wimpy pull down resistor in the Cruise’s logic is the assumed culprit, but that’s internal to the servo and pretty difficult to get to. I may try an external resistor to see if that works, and if not, I’ve got the relays.

I then rethought the LED bulbs and strobe flasher install he recently did,,,, and "think" I understand what he's talking about.

{I don't speak his language} but I think the "Electrical Engineer" said:
       A relay in the Cruise Control works to dis-engage the Cruise control when the brake is applied, and,,, "it ain't working"...
       He thinks this is because the LED's aren't resistant e'nuff and/or the strobe flasher is messing up the ground circuit.
         He's gonna install a resistor or a relay to fix it.

Ohhhh, "Great One" Am I close???

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:16:18 pm »
Ah, that instance went unreported several months ago.  :??:

A similar mushy yard contributed to the bike sashaying around as I was about to go through the drive through gate. The bike got out of shape and I (my left arm) clipped one of the post causing the bars to rapidly turn throwing me off balance, and down we went. Funny, been though that gate 100’s of times before with nary a problem. And yeah, I was going too fast. Needless to say, a little more cautious now.

I was ATGATT, but my mesh jacket didn’t tolerate the raking the post gave my arm and I got skinned up pretty good with a nice hematoma right before my elbow.  No damage whatsoever to the jacket. Plastic got busted up a little too, but had that fixed with ABS cement by the next day, because I had a ride to attend that w/e. As it turned out, weather was a little iffy the morning we were to leave, so I rode up with another member in his cage.

COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:32:27 pm »
nice haircut....

Russel's house?

I really like shaving my head now.. pretty cool being a trend setter..  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
(sure makes for a quick shower, I must say, and my shampoo costs are zero $)

hey, about time to put in a paved driveway..... to the Big Red Barn....
have them "tail gate" the big fist sized chunky gravel from the street, back to the barn, now while it's all smooshy.. it'l give you a good base, and solidify for the "final" layers... when ya get the wallet out... remember, my drive ways were sand... and didn't count for dismounts when ya' , well, didn't cause falls, if ya were on them; (noy champagne induced)

be safe,

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 11:00:23 am »
I got this far and my mind overloaded...

Others have had to install an interposing relay to keep a solid ground on the Cruise’s “kill lead” so it would activate…..  up until the brakes were applied. When they were, the relay changed state to remove the ground and apply 12 volts from the brake light circuit to disengage the cruise. Wimpy pull down resistor in the Cruise’s logic is the assumed culprit, but that’s internal to the servo and pretty difficult to get to. I may try an external resistor to see if that works, and if not, I’ve got the relays.

I then rethought the LED bulbs and strobe flasher install he recently did,,,, and "think" I understand what he's talking about.

{I don't speak his language} but I think the "Electrical Engineer" said:
       A relay in the Cruise Control works to dis-engage the Cruise control when the brake is applied, and,,, "it ain't working"...
       He thinks this is because the LED's aren't resistant e'nuff and/or the strobe flasher is messing up the ground circuit.
         He's gonna install a resistor or a relay to fix it.

Ohhhh, "Great One" Am I close???

Ride safe, Ted

Close enough.

Strobe has nothing to do with it. In my case it's the LEDs since the cruise worked before I installed them. Typically, they affect conventional turn signal flashers due to a lack of load. The fix is to use electronic flashers, or separate load resistors. They can also affect CANBUS circuits in vehicles that have that type of system. If you look through Superbright's pages, you will see the resistors they have to help correct the LED-induced anomaly. eBay is loaded with them too.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:06:50 am »
nice haircut....

Russel's house?

I really like shaving my head now.. pretty cool being a trend setter..  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
(sure makes for a quick shower, I must say, and my shampoo costs are zero $)

hey, about time to put in a paved driveway..... to the Big Red Barn....
have them "tail gate" the big fist sized chunky gravel from the street, back to the barn, now while it's all smooshy.. it'l give you a good base, and solidify for the "final" layers... when ya get the wallet out... remember, my drive ways were sand... and didn't count for dismounts when ya' , well, didn't cause falls, if ya were on them; (noy champagne induced)

be safe,

"Russel's house? "

Yup. Old Riding Buddies get-together in August.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:16:37 am by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:04 pm »
Final comment and a couple of pix, then I’ll shut up.

The rain stopped a little earlier this morning, so needing to go to the USPO and the bank, I decided to take the KLR. Almost didn’t get up out of the backyard. The Shinko Trailmaster 705’s do a good job on the pavement, gravel, and dirt – mud not so much.

The yard has a slight grade to it right out of the garage, so had to dog-paddle out until the rear just spun, back up, go forward a few feet more, back up and hit it again. Eventually made it out and I was on my way.

With temps in the high 60’s, lotsa clouds with a bright sun poking through, a beautiful day to ride. Had to get back and get a New Year’s ham I picked up in the fridge.

Which reminds me – A very Merry Christmas to ya’ll, and trust everyone has a safe and prosperous New Year.

COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 04:27:05 pm »
Merry Christmas to you too....

The red LED's you suggested have been installed. 
    They are "BRIGHT" ! 
            Haven't decided if I will add the flasher to these.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:08:55 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 08:58:52 pm »
happy Festivus... and don't shoot yer eye out....

(from Ralphie's house...)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 10:49:57 am »
Merry Christmas all!