Author Topic: Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?  (Read 20927 times)

Offline Proliant

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12522
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2019, 10:50:52 pm »
Motorcycle check for road trip to Missouri for my sons graduation from US Army boot camp. Oil changed, replaced bulb that was burnt out, topped up the coolant, cleaned the instruments and lubed all the cables, checked brake fluid, cleaned out all the bags/compartments, cleaned air filter, got extra fuses just in case, checked tires, put registration etc in plastic bag under seat with the emergency tools, verified phone charger working, AAA trip tick in plastic and packed ..... I feel like I am forgetting something, but I’m not sure what (not including clothes and personal items)?

BTW - It looks like I will be hitting 50k on this trip ..... I will have to take a picture.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:28:41 pm by Proliant »

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #251 on: August 25, 2019, 02:04:52 am »
Today I started it up after a couple or 3 weeks of sitting.  Started on the 2nd or 3rd try without a jump and it hasn't been on the trickle charge either.  It was the first cool day in a while so I'm thinking of putting it on Craig's List, caption "it's the old guy with a limp selling a bike trick".  My limp started last week so it isn't a bike issue and we should leave it at that, except to mention my back's been aching and I might have trouble up-shifting.  The bike is stored outdoors under a cover and I found a stalk of grass growing between 2 spokes of the front wheel, sticking out beneath the nylon cover.
So I looked at Craig's List Long Island just now,where I am, and there are 3 C10s for sale already.  Lowest price is a 98 for $1900, highest was a 2003 at maybe $2800, middle one was in between in years and $.  All have the newer dash and bigger brakes than my 1987.
I had the bike on Cycle Trader in early to mid-spring and got 3 nibbles.  I also was putting a big plastic For Sale sign on the windshield when I parked it at work but I stopped after the Spring Fling which is the last ride I remember now.
Instead, I ordered a desk nameplate like you might have if you worked at a bank, only my nameplate says something like 1987 Concours For Sale, text offer to (my number which you may find in the emporium if your lucky).  I cut the empty spaces off the sides (it's a 2-line nameplate) and have it bolted to a 1.5 by 1.5 by .06 aluminum angle which is mounted by the 2 dash board screws.  Sorry I didn't get a picture for you.  The thinking here is that anybody who wants the bike will be close enough to see the sign and I can leave it on all the time, it will ride like it isn't there.  And I'm writing this long post instead of putting an ad on Craig's List.
Now all I have to do is ride the bike somewhere, sometime  :motonoises:
1987 Concours

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2019, 11:51:49 am »
Put on the short (un)tinted Rifle shield to replace the old tall tinted one – old shield must have seen lots of sun because it splintered in some spots (was already cracked and stop-drilled in several places).  Swapped out the stock seat for the Corbin (not sure it’s an improvement for my rotundity).  Thought about changing oil (don’t think it needs it yet) and perhaps doing the knee-savers (pretty sure the rider needs this for any rides over a couple of hundred) or the handle-bar risers (unsure of need), but the day was too pleasant to waste, so went riding – windshield was perfect… the rest may have to wait for a rainy/snowy/sleety post-nuclear-event weekend I think.  Nice ride...
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:05 pm »
Removed Rifle windshield.
Installed Madstad. :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline cal

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2019, 09:46:01 pm »
but the day was too pleasant to waste, so went riding – windshield was perfect… the rest may have to wait for a rainy/snowy/sleety post-nuclear-event weekend I think.

Never waste a day with good weather! All your other maintenance can wait a day or two.  ;D

Offline badger

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2019, 07:31:34 pm »
Rode to and from work again, 131.6 miles round trip. Need to take a look at the brakes before I get to far into a planned trip to the tail of the dragons (sept-oct time frame). Maybe figure out how to swap the fork oil and final drive too. Time to dig into my Clymers.
01 Connie- battered, bruised, but loved all the more for it!

Offline Treadlightly

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2019, 12:02:52 am »
Does yesterday count? I fabricated a new windshield from Lexan after my kickstand sank in the mud and caused my bike to smack into the car it was sitting next to breaking the Rifle windshield it had. No damage to the car, my landlords. Looks great and stands up to at least 80 mph without flexing. The blessed rains have come and the riding weather is perfect right behind it. I'm going for a ride. See ya later alligator.

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2019, 12:48:38 am »
Finally got the mule 's new shoes(Perelli diablo rossi II) on today along with new front pads A short check ride and Im somewhat impressed with them or Ive gotten used to worn out shinkos
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2019, 01:00:48 am »
My son loves those tires!  Came stock on his Speed Triple IIRC.  Sticky they were!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2019, 02:54:57 pm »
Got out early this morning before it got hot and rode 150 mile loop.
IN66 to IN545 to IN62 to IN135 to KY228 to KY144 to KY60 to IN237 and back home!
Great morning for a ride!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Lee

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2019, 12:49:52 am »
Hammered out tank dent in preparation of body filler after right side downspill. Pulled broken plastic in preparation of ABS plastic glue up.

Offline Treadlightly

• Tricycle
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2019, 01:30:15 am »
Gorilla Duct Taped my mirrors in place. The right one rattled loose first and I caught it before it hit the ground, left one rattled loose and was gone without my noticing, found a spare in the treasure trove of spare parts that came with the bike's (2 1986's). She isn't going to win any beauty prizes anyway and the black blends in well enough. I really missed that left mirror in the brief time it was missing, I've come to depend on it at red lights.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2019, 02:39:01 am »
  Tour !, If you are not going to ride your C10 any more and you know someone that would that would really like it and take good care of It ,do what I did!! Give it to them!! Gave my ,94 C10 to my son-in-law who really takes care of his rides!! :) He really loves me C10 and I know it is in good hands. Make me happy to know it will be treated well!!!   :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2019, 03:13:08 am »
Put the lowering link rocker back on...then went for a lunch ride...

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2019, 03:53:56 am »
  Tour !, If you are not going to ride your C10 any more and you know someone that would that would really like it and take good care of It ,do what I did!! Give it to them!! Gave my ,94 C10 to my son-in-law who really takes care of his rides!! :) He really loves me C10 and I know it is in good hands. Make me happy to know it will be treated well!!!   :great:
Yep, I've been thinking along those lines and I heard Adopt, don't shop! on the news.  Something about people who like pets instead of motorcycles (can you imagine such a thing).
Trouble is I also think, if you have to pay for something you'll make a better decision about whether or not you need it.
Anyway if you know a good family that will give an aging C10 a happy home, it can't hurt to ask.
I suppose struggling college students and the like would have a better chance at it, but an experienced rider is also a must.
Aside from that, the clouds in my mind are coalescing into 2 patterns, one is a throttle grip setup on the left handlebar that would do upshifts and down shifts, while the other is a double shift lever that extends backward from the pivot so I could push the back down to upshift.  Or maybe an L shape so kicking my left foot backwards would upshift.
Que sera sera ;-)
1987 Concours

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2019, 01:31:55 pm »
Should be EZ to adapt an old heel/toe shifter.
Either adapt 1, or cut the heel section off and weld to another Connie shifter.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:18:04 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2019, 10:45:09 pm »
Took the Rifle windshield off and put the Madstad on...it seems cooler now...and, went for a ride...

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #267 on: September 03, 2019, 02:55:56 am »
Should be EZ to adapt an old heel/toe shifter.
Either adapt 1, or cut the heel section off and weld to the Connie shifter.

Ride safe, Ted
Haven't looked at the bike for a while but to keep up my frugal image I think I should try adapting a broken antler first.
The TV news tonight said the average cost of a "date" in NY city is $297.
That means if you get shut down twice you could buy a C10 and have $94 left.
1987 Concours

Offline dcstrng

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #268 on: September 03, 2019, 09:47:04 am »
Simple oil change and would have buttoned back up, but now have a whole goodie-box of Murph’s stuff to install, so just kept taking Tupperware off, oomph… should be riding again by next year, or perhaps the year after… am never going to complain about my ol’ Nomad (RIP) again, simplest oil change on the planet – one and done in less than ten minutes… (assuming the goat-belly is gone).   :-[

Did decide that over-center stand is hopeless -- have uninstalled them on every bike that had them (mostly Nortons), makes good sense on a 20# bicycle, but that's why the invented motorcycle lifts -- dragged mine out from the other shop, all is well...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:16:37 am by dcstrng »
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2019, 01:10:41 am »
360 mile round trip to Cookeville, TN to retrieve the 60 bucks change I forgot to get from the cashier at T Mart when I went down and bought Blue.  :-[ :-[   Got to see some parts of TN I hadn't seen before.  Good trip! Blue performed like a champ!
 :motonoises: :motonoises:
PS I love this bike Fred!! :beerchug:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Treadlightly

• Tricycle
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2019, 07:13:25 pm »
360 mile round trip to Cookeville, TN to retrieve the 60 bucks change I forgot to get from the cashier at T Mart when I went down and bought Blue.  :-[ :-[   Got to see some parts of TN I hadn't seen before.  Good trip! Blue performed like a champ!
 :motonoises: :motonoises:
 :-\
So about 3 hours huh??

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2019, 12:12:32 am »
IIRC Google maps said 3 hours 47 minutes each way.  Some of the two lane stuff was skinny twisty barely two lane roads.  I left at 8 am and got home around 4:30.  Stopped for a bit at some little bbq place and had some ribs too.  It's pretty down there. :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Lee

• Scooter
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2019, 04:11:01 am »
Started post fall fairing repair. Cleaned all the pieces. Melted some ABS in acetone. Expect to start gluing in morning. Been there done that and yet here again. Will try to make it look pretty!

Offline Lee

• Scooter
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2019, 04:21:06 am »
Also pulled Corbin seat cover for replacement. Put stock seat back on till recover is completed. New vinyl should be delivered today.

Using faux aligator for flat surfaces with distressed faux leather for side panels. All black of course. Should look real good on the Corbin. Yeah live long enough in Lousiana and it gets to you............

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2019, 12:59:08 pm »
Who is doing the recover for you? After it's done, please let me know the results.
I tried to get Corbin to recover my old Corbin, as it has the correct firmness. {ie; not as hard as they make them now}
They wanted almost the cost of a new seat.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!