Author Topic: Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?  (Read 24374 times)

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2019, 01:59:57 pm »
Ted, Have'nt got areupholstery near me lined up yet. Wife and I are talking about doing it ourselves buying one of those $100 dollar modern made antique replica Chinese sewing machines made for such. We have some other items to sew. Would be helpful to keep up our awnings and camp gear. Want to make a sail for new kayak too when shipper delivers it. Yeah we are DIY'ers.

Note: Pulled seat cover this morning some seams are very thick on Corbin.  Their seat flats are very heavy duty vinyl and side panels a medium stretch vinyl.

I have some dry rot in threads and some of the vinyl at sharp creases along bottom. Suspect moisture was held there distroying the backing over time.

Really waiting to see mail ordered thickness and pliability of new marine vinyl before buying such a machine.

Oh!  If anyone is interested I will make a paper pattern of vinyl parts as I take take the seams apart.

Think Corbin wanted shy of $500 at begining of summer not including ship if I remember. I am to fruggle with the C10 for that. Plus am cheap in retirement!

Take care sir.
PS: Oh thanks for trying to take care of Holiday too!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 07:40:07 pm by Lee, Reason: typo »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2019, 02:17:49 pm »
I'm also retired/cheap/DIYer, so understand you plan.

My Corbin is a leather that I bought used 4 Connies ago. Great seat!
Recover in leather is high $$, so recover would prolly have to be a vinyl.
I checked around Houston and found out there are shops that will do repair's or new cover for less $$ than Corbin.
PLUS: My C-10 is a back up/spare bike, have the OEM seat, (someone else rides it occasionally  :rotflmao:), and because the seat is not "that bad",,,
Sooo, I've been putting off the project "for now".
    {I think "for now" has been 5 years)    :great:

Holiday made a bad {rookie} mistake. Hoping the others will cut him some slack and answer his questions.
I suspect the engine is shot.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
« Reply #277 on: September 07, 2019, 05:41:22 pm »
Ted would you rather leather or vinyl if money were not a consideration. If so what weight you think? You know me curious!

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
« Reply #278 on: September 07, 2019, 07:46:50 pm »
Well do not know when I will learn the evils of eBay!?!?!?!
Vinyl arrived and was not heavy duty marine or even made with a backing.

Where folded stuck together in heat.and when pulled apart shows white creases! Light duty marine with backer would outweigh this fabric by a couple of tons in comparison................
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:02:00 am by Lee, Reason: typos »

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2019, 01:30:53 am »
I grabbed a couple of pictures relevant to previous posts.
1st is the For Sale nameplate with fresh black paint on the bracket (I painted that today).
2nd is a better idea of how a heel shift pedal would add on.
Likely hinged under the foot peg and sst cable from the pedal to the ball joint on the linkage.
I found I could barely upshift from 1st to neutral wearing moccasins.
It hurt & I was slow doing it, I won't try it in traffic as-is.
1987 Concours

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2019, 11:17:41 am »
Glued up my pieces of fracture fairings yesterday if that counts today. Used acetone mixed with chipped ABS plastic from a Samsung monitor case for glue and fill. Saved that one for just such occasion. Reinforced all with fiber glass mat encased in ABS goo. This is my second attempt at this ABS concoctions and glue up process. Had to do some when the C10 first came to me with broken plastic. The more I do it the better the end result. ABS is easy to repair now. But it is a learned skill most certainly. Will sand and primer the show sides today if get the chance. No finish coat till winter. I want to ride the rest of season.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2019, 02:15:47 pm »
On some of my repairs I plastic welded it back together on the back with a soldering iron, and then used ABS cement/glue. {available at Loews}
For extra strength, I glued pieces from another fairing over the welded sections.
NOTE: Remove paint on surface area's where you want to use the ABS glue and it works great.

Tour 1, In previous note, I was thinking it might be possible to install the heel shifter by adding linkage at gear shaft that comes out of the engine.
ie; Maybe you could add another Connie toe shifter behind the peg, and operate it with linkage. {similar to how the toe shifter is done now}…
It would take a little engineering, but it's a possibility..

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:36:06 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2019, 02:49:04 pm »
Hey Ted!
Somewhere the other day asked if you prefered leather or vinyl.
It was not a come on! Wanted to know if money was not a objection would you redo the Corbin in leather. Why the preference if so. Bet it sure would look nice with a baseball stitching.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2019, 04:42:00 pm »
The seat for my C-10 was bought used and happened to be leather.
I liked the leather so much that when I had a seat built for my C-14, I decided damn the cost and had it made out of leather.. {Baldwin}

I won't say leather is that much better than a good vinyl, but I like it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2019, 03:10:55 am »
Tour 1, In previous note, I was thinking it might be possible to install the heel shifter by adding linkage at gear shaft that comes out of the engine.
ie; Maybe you could add another Connie toe shifter behind the peg, and operate it with linkage. {similar to how the toe shifter is done now}…
It would take a little engineering, but it's a possibility..

Ride safe, Ted
Thinking about scraping the foot peg means the heel shifter might need to tip up when the peg does, and a mechanical linkage would get complicated.
I'd also like to make it easy to remove in case a mechanic gets spooked by stuff that doesn't look like the picture in the manual.
I'd also like something that doesn't change anything on the bike that already works just right.
What might work better is a more complicated part with a crank-arm that pulls the cable directly.
Thanks for the thoughts, though.  I'm not sure what an aftermarket manufacturer would like to make.
Chrome & skulls seem popular :-[

Looking at my picture I realize the weldment would need a hinge that works with the peg hinge, so back to just cable.
Anyway this thread is supposed to be about done stuff, not thinking about doing stuff so  :truce:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:21:54 am by Tour1, Reason: thinking more better thoughts »
1987 Concours

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:02 am »
I follow your reasoning. Cable might work.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2019, 06:47:32 pm »
Actually, late yesterday, but couldn’t do a test ride until today.

Frugal (AKA cheapskate) me hadn’t changed out the needle valve o-rings for the entire time I’ve owned the bike. They’ve always looked okay, so saw no need……  until recently when the bike started running like poo at idle and when coming off idle. This after I pulled the carbs to replace the pilot jets back to their OEM size. Thinking they were the problem, it was probably the o-rings all along. It was running funky when I went up to the National, but once in mid-range it ran great. Pretty much figured it out, but decided to wait until I had some free time once I got home.

Been waiting for a steel delivery for a trailer I’m working on, so decided to just do the deed – without – pulling the tank or the carbs. Didn’t want to tie up the lift for that long a period. Tried it once before with some long reach 90 deg screwdrivers I have, but gave up too early. Decided to just muddle through it this time ‘cause I was frustrated with the way the bike was running, especially around town.

NOTE: The one with the red rectangle around it sucks for carbs work. You can switch it to CW, or CCW direction, but not to where it will go either way just by changing the direction of the handle's rotation. Had I known that when I got it several years ago, I probably would have passed it by.

My .02

Anyway, the only carb that really gave me a fit was #2. The ZZR alternator I fitted up limited the amount of space I had to work under the carb. For all, I loosened and moved the inner fairing panels up out of the way (first one side then the other), then spread a shop towel out over the top of the engine case to catch the needle valve when it dropped free. With the o-ring replaced, I gooped up the valve with a glob of grease to hold it up in the carb pocket long enough for me to get the screwdriver blade engaged to screw it up in place. Once lightly bottomed out, I backed them out 2-1/2 turns. For now it seems to running very well, and hope it stays that way.

This little exercise also gave me a chance to adjust the fuel gauge pot for a setting that aligned itself when the bike just went on reserve. Fuel level was down pretty far in the tank, so I left it on MAIN and ran a clear line into a catch can. Using my Mity-Vac, I applied a vacuum to the petcock so fuel would flow until it stopped. That’s the point you’d normally need to switch over to RESERVE. I adjusted the pot so the gauge was right in the middle of the red section on the gauge. That area is close enough for me to know I best start looking for a station.

FWIW - 1024 miles until the bike hits 200K.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline badger

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2019, 01:03:05 pm »
Started my tear down process, i broke my throttle cable on Sunday evening, and almost got it limped back home with the choke. had to trailer it the last few miles. so while i'm in there, i might as well go ahead and do a few other "heavy" maintenance tasks. its almost at 40K, so now seems as good a time as ever. Anyone in Virginia want to help me from making fatal errors in the process?
01 Connie- battered, bruised, but loved all the more for it!

Offline dcstrng

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12985
« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2019, 09:09:27 am »
Installed knee-savers… typical of my talentless shop endeavors, it took several times the normal time; broke off a wobble hex driver, and resetting the brake switch took a whole lot longer – lots of fiddly-diddly and nothing worked; then I (finally) discovered I’d disconnected it altogether… Left side was refreshingly straightforward by comparison – moved the shifter one-spline and that seemed good… Riding impression, some incremental relief, but need to drop them another 8-10” for these geriatric knees – to achieve anything remotely called comfort.

:-[
-- Larry
Worry -- Misuse of imagination...

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #289 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:49 am »
Replaced my alternator chain and tensioner . Fairly easy job . Picked up the tool to hold the alternator shaft on ebay . One could probably hold that with a small strap wrench if needed .
Carb cleaning is next .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #290 on: September 23, 2019, 11:50:25 am »
Installed knee-savers… typical of my talentless shop endeavors, it took several times the normal time; broke off a wobble hex driver, and resetting the brake switch took a whole lot longer – lots of fiddly-diddly and nothing worked; then I (finally) discovered I’d disconnected it altogether… Left side was refreshingly straightforward by comparison – moved the shifter one-spline and that seemed good… Riding impression, some incremental relief, but need to drop them another 8-10” for these geriatric knees – to achieve anything remotely called comfort.

Did the same thing back on my 2000. Also installed the highway pegs which let me stretch out some. Good luck.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline dcstrng

• Mini Bike
« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2019, 03:00:40 pm »

Did the same thing back on my 2000. Also installed the highway pegs which let me stretch out some. Good luck.

Yes, I plan to mount some sort of highway-pegs on Murphs tip-over bars -- once I get to install them... hopefully that will allow enough movement to keep old knees happy...
-- Larry

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #292 on: September 23, 2019, 07:23:19 pm »
 :great:
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline TukTuk

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2019, 09:47:49 pm »
I did the second oil change on my new (to me) '05. I've had it a month, and I'm loving this bike. I look forward to reading more about this bike and planning for future mods. We only have a month or two left of good riding left in South Dakota for the season, so I'm making it count.

Offline Rideezdale

• rideEZdale
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2019, 11:16:01 pm »
  I put it up " For Sale" :-\ ::)
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours,  2008 Kawasaki concours

Offline BigAl

• Wild and Free
  • Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2019, 11:50:32 pm »
Adjusted floats using the clear tubing method

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2019, 01:25:26 am »

A Russell daylong seat will sit you 2 or 3 inches taller . Might help .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline dcstrng

• Mini Bike
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2019, 09:23:01 am »

A Russell daylong seat will sit you 2 or 3 inches taller . Might help .

Yep -- Never had a RDL, but certainly agree in philosophy; Assuming I can do the long-pavement again, I'll probably get Rocky Mayer to build me another saddle -- on other bikes I have close to 200K on his products and it does raise a tad, not to mention keeping my prodigious caboose comfy...  but I'm planning to wait until I have the rest of the bike more or less where I want/hope/whatever...
-- Larry

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2019, 05:29:15 pm »
Did a leisurely 145 mile ride through some back roads of Chesterfield, Prince George, and Susex (VA) counties to get to Wakefield, VA to load up on a varied stash of peanuts at Plantation Peanuts. Been going there several years now, whose trip usually involves riding the Jamestown Ferry across the James River near Williamsburg, but not today. Stopped at Cowling's BBQ in Waverly for a nice BBQ sandwich + real onion rings for lunch. Very comfortable early on, but started getting a little warm around noon.

859 miles to 200K. Trying to decide if a 9700 mile D404 will allow me to get there.     :motonoises:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:35:47 pm by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline dcstrng

• Mini Bike
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2019, 01:06:13 am »
Traded my `99 for a lower mileage `09 -- shortest I've ever owned a bike and I certainly wasn't unhappy with the `99, quite the opposite -- just a good deal popped up on an`09.  Different bikes, but not as different as I would have suspected. 
-- Larry