Author Topic: Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?
« on: August 28, 2017, 11:44:36 am »
This is usually a fun running post on most automotive boards, sorry if there is already one here.
I did do a search and came up empty.
Ok here we go, since my bike is multiple colors needing body work paint and I am currently not able to ride it because I am waiting for a new cooling fan. I have decided since I have to remove all the body panels in order to replace the cooling fan anyway I will start on the body work and panel repair while they are all off. I have cut my riding season short in order to Do complete maintenance and a repaint. I plan on adjusting the valves, possibly removing the carburetors and sending them off to Steve oh and of course replacing that cooling fan that started screaming at me the other day. To complete the project I ordered a complete Hardware kit from Murph as well as caliper rebuild kits, fairing extenders and a new windscreen.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:50:34 am by Grant, Reason: Autocorrect FUBAR »
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »
which one?  :nananana:

Haha the 06 is sleeping in storage atm while I was putting finishing touches on the 02 project.

Got the driving lights wired up on friday, washed it sunday, took it out for a 200 mile journey last night...and now it need another bath. Bugs are pretty bad this year.

The 06 will get steves carb treatment in the winter and maybe a jbox rebuild for good measure....so she has nothing to complain about.

Goldwing got a car tire put on last week, so been dealing with that whole chestnut.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:39 am »
Order from Murph's is do in today and the replacement cooling fan got here yesterday.
Haven't had time to even look at the old girl, dam my job gets in the way of all my fun...

Just a few items from Murph's to make the riding a little more enjoyable.
 x    Brake Caliper Rebuild Kit, 1994-2006
  - Caliper Rebuild Kit Options: All Calipers, 3 kits, 1994-2006   $68.00
1 x    Cee Bailey's Vented Windscreens
  - Screen Options: 25.5", No Tint
  - Screen Tinting: No Tint   $196.00
1 x    Bergmen Engineering Fuel Tank Quick Release for Your Concours   $13.50
1 x    Deluxe Black Stainless Screw Kit for Your Concours
  - Black Stainless Screw Kit Years: 1990 to 2006   $66.00
1 x    OEM Fairing Extender Kit

Offline Max

• Training Wheels
    • Connie Photos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8595
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:04:59 pm »
In the process of rebuilding all hydraulics and replacing lines with braided steel. Just have the clutch MC/slave left to do, (after lunch) and then wait for the humidity in North Texas to go down to fill and bleed.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:22:15 am »
First extended ride on the Shinko/Continental tire combo. So far so good. Seemed a bit odd passing buggies, dodging horse exhaust and listening to the Talking Heads. Good times!
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:45:50 am »

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 02:45:52 am »
Replaced the cooling fan.https://goo.gl/photos/ch5xVsQAHxaPadZCA

How the hell did oem fan get busted up like that???  ::) ::)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 03:27:49 am »
Took the carbs off and broke two of the metering needles.  Don't ask.............. >:(

Thread started in "EMPORIUM" seeking to buy replacements.  :-[

Oh, well, it'll give me time to overhaul the brakes. :great:
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:41:18 am »
Replaced the cooling fan.https://goo.gl/photos/ch5xVsQAHxaPadZCA

How the hell did oem fan get busted up like that???  ::) ::)
Not busted melted.... And I have no idea... Was riding home from work and started hearing what sounded like the bearing in the fan motor screaming of course traffic was nuts and the bike started to overheat. I nursed at home and bought a fan of e-Bay.

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 04:58:06 pm »
I plan on sealing up the my broken air box that stemmed from my accident a couple weeks ago.

I still have ton of work to do in order to get the Barron back up in fighting form but, that will be a winter project.
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 06:01:40 pm »
added these led back lit reflectors. had to add a small hole for the wires but totally reversible. running lights and turn signals, and looks stock at 1st glance. also, still acts as reflector with power off. was like 12 bucks or something shipped for the pair off e-bay. 

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 07:24:13 pm »
added these led back lit reflectors. had to add a small hole for the wires but totally reversible. running lights and turn signals, and looks stock at 1st glance. also, still acts as reflector with power off. was like 12 bucks or something shipped for the pair off e-bay.
Looks like what I've been looking for. Can you post a link?
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:50 pm »
sure.  of course they are 'on sale' now. lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-LED-Reflector-Tail-Brake-Stop-Marker-Light-Truck-Trailer-RVATV-Motorcycle-/222497822691?hash=item33cde757e3:g:R~8AAOSwr6RZfFBO&vxp=mtr

i just tied it into the lights in the upper fairing with a sub harness i made.

they also have red ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Motorcycle-Truck-12V-Red-24-SMD-LED-Reflector-Tail-Brake-Stop-Marker-Light-/192062619174?hash=item2cb7d2fe26:g:274AAOSw6DtYVwIj&vxp=mtr

Looks like what I've been looking for. Can you post a link?

Offline NoLongerTheNewGuy

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11017
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »
Ordered the mirror my son broke in the garage, ordered a tire, getting ready to change the oil, and see if I can get the buzzer beaters to mount correctly...

Offline Boomer

• Street Cruiser
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:58 pm »
Phoned the insurance to ask when the **** am I gonna get my bike back so I can start fixing it.
The driver of the truck I bounced off is contesting whether he was at fault.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:33 pm »
Phoned the insurance to ask when the **** am I gonna get my bike back so I can start fixing it.
The driver of the truck I bounced off is contesting whether he was at fault.

It figures. I do two things that give other drivers a perception that seems to cause them to do stupid s*** around me. While riding a bike the small size gives other drivers the perception that I am much further from them than I really am. When I am driving a Class 8 truck the large size gives other drivers the perception that I am moving much slower than I really am. Either way the way the human brain works as either the writer of a bike or the driver of a truck even though visually other drivers may see me their brain will discount me as an immediate threat. This is actually why other drivers are either sure you weren't there when they made the decision to pull out or say I didn't even see him. While on a bike your small size and Lane position may actually have hidden you from their line-of-sight however it happens in a large truck as well and this can be absolutely dumbfounding.

Offline Katsi

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 02:59:54 pm »
I went out in the back roads of TX and splattered love bugs all over the front of mine.   :)

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:55 am »
Cee Bailey shield came in yesterday and got an email from the Wizard, antlers and all the parts to properly mount the baggage are on their way. The bike is in pieces as of now had to replace a cooling fan that went out so taking advantage of this time to body work the multiple colors faring pieces and get them painted. If the weather is still suitable when I finish painting the fairing pieces I will put it together and ride a little more this fall. If the weather turns before I finish I will pull the carburetors and as soon as finances permit send them to Steve I may even order a set of Steve's cams. I do need to watch what I spend here though as I am still working on purchasing that C-14...

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »
I ordered some cams from Steve. I doubt that they will be here soon enough to ride it on the Oyster Run.
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1983 Suzuki GS750ED-The Project

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 03:39:40 am »
wrapped up the (" spal fan replacement and test rode. fresh water pump and valve adjustment as well. the fan takes MUCH less time to cool the radiator down than a good stocker, so was def worth the (50 dollar) upgrade IMHO.  :great:

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 12:16:54 pm »
wrapped up the (" spal fan replacement and test rode. fresh water pump and valve adjustment as well. the fan takes MUCH less time to cool the radiator down than a good stocker, so was def worth the (50 dollar) upgrade IMHO.  :great:

Awesome great tech for our aging bikes, as parts become more and more scarce we will need more ideas like this. Any time a none factory repair equals an improvement it's a big win.
While doing my fan replacement I kept looking at the inner fairing parts to figure out how to keep more of the heat going out the side and not up around the triple trees. As I was trying to figure out how to better direct the waste heat I got the idea of an adjustable vent that would allow one to either send the heat out the side for hot weather or up at the rider for cold weather.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42:34 pm »
grant,
i read that post of yours, its really good, thanks for that.. I did take some pics of my fan install but was doing that repair and the turbo bike with my buddy so we had 2 projects going on at same time in the shop. making an ignition for that xs now, so hopefully i'll do a follow up with pics on the fan install in the other thread soon i hope.  i test rode the c10 in today, and ran great and cool. the valve adjustment might have helped a bit with that as well (since EVERY  valve was tight pre adjustment. lol)

Awesome great tech for our aging bikes, as parts become more and more scarce we will need more ideas like this. Any time a none factory repair equals an improvement it's a big win.
While doing my fan replacement I kept looking at the inner fairing parts to figure out how to keep more of the heat going out the side and not up around the triple trees. As I was trying to figure out how to better direct the waste heat I got the idea of an adjustable vent that would allow one to either send the heat out the side for hot weather or up at the rider for cold weather.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »
Noticed that the bike was a little sluggish to start while hot, needing just a bit a choke to get it going. Seemed a little odd so I checked a few things but nothing seemed out of sorts. Heard a little bird remind me that electrical resistance goes up with temp so decided to quick check the coils, wire, and caps. Bingo! 3 caps read right around 5k and the 4th was baked.
Thank goodness there are some good cycle shops with real parts departments in the area. Picked up (4) NGK SD05FP caps, 4' of 7mm wire, and (4) NGK D8EA plugs. Pulled the old grommets off the old caps which fit perfectly around the boot of the new cap. Murph has it all on his website in one kit if you have a little more time or if you don't have your own local place.
Boom
Instant difference. Very fast start, off choke quick, and fast throttle. I bet this cap has been faulty since I owned the bike because it is super smooth and silky now.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 02:14:06 am »
Did a little bodywork on a front fairing mold.  May or may not pan out.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Amotek

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 06:11:09 pm »
Installed Tokico calipers and man what a difference in stopping power! Highly recommend this mod. :)