Author Topic: Shifter Not Engaging 6th Gear  (Read 147 times)

Offline BruceB

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 2045
  • Membership Level: Active
Shifter Not Engaging 6th Gear
« on: November 09, 2019, 06:31:31 pm »
I know that the shifter return spring has had some failures, but can't find info on my issue.
Twice now, when running up thru the gears, the shifter moves easily without that mechanical feel/clunk while going from 5th to 6th.
So stuck in 5th, till a few miles later try again and clicks into 6th. Next 30 plus run up/down through the gears with no problem.
Original owner of a 1994 with 50000 miles. Regular oil changes, with 400 miles on Shell Rotella. It's got the TCRO shifter and doesn't appear to be hitting anything externally.
Isn't the shift quadrant/springs bathed in oil?  Could the return spring be broken, but catching most of the time?
Open to suggestions on what could be going on.  Don't want to get stuck in gear while out and about.
Thinking I might order the return spring and the horseshoe lever spring and gaskets to at least have a look.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Online connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
Re: Shifter Not Engaging 6th Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:34:12 pm »
I know that the shifter return spring has had some failures, but can't find info on my issue.
Twice now, when running up thru the gears, the shifter moves easily without that mechanical feel/clunk while going from 5th to 6th.
So stuck in 5th, till a few miles later try again and clicks into 6th. Next 30 plus run up/down through the gears with no problem.
Original owner of a 1994 with 50000 miles. Regular oil changes, with 400 miles on Shell Rotella. It's got the TCRO shifter and doesn't appear to be hitting anything externally.
Isn't the shift quadrant/springs bathed in oil?  Could the return spring be broken, but catching most of the time?
Open to suggestions on what could be going on.  Don't want to get stuck in gear while out and about.
Thinking I might order the return spring and the horseshoe lever spring and gaskets to at least have a look.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Just a question: are you are you are lowering your toe enough to release pressure on the shift lever? I occasionally (and inadvertently) keep a little pressure the lever and not allow it to return to the full down position. Adjusting the lever slightly would correct this, but I just haven't bothered to do it yet.

Just a thought.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline BruceB

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 2045
Re: Shifter Not Engaging 6th Gear
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:50:39 pm »
Thanks Guy.
I'll have to go out and watch for this. That would make sense as to why it has only happened twice.