Author Topic: Bent Front forks  (Read 37 times)

Offline The ice man

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
Bent Front forks
« on: Yesterday at 07:22:35 pm »
I removed the front wheel, The fender,  Brake calipers and the right fork. Next I plan to remove the left fork. Next I will remove the forks from the old bike and install them in new connie. I am thinking not to disassemble the forks right now. I will do that another day, so can speed things up for now. I looked at the triple trees, they do not look bent or damaged to me? So I am thinking just leave them in place? Any suggestions?

Offline m in sc

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Bent Front forks
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:28:40 pm »
you'll find out when you try to fit the new ones. Ive been fooled before, you may get lucky.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:35:21 pm »
If the fork bent, the triple trees are tweaked, and should be inspected. Being they are aluminum I would dye check them and or replace with known good ones if the new forks don't fit easily.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:35:28 pm »
I removed the front wheel, The fender,  Brake calipers and the right fork. Next I plan to remove the left fork. Next I will remove the forks from the old bike and install them in new connie. I am thinking not to disassemble the forks right now. I will do that another day, so can speed things up for now. I looked at the triple trees, they do not look bent or damaged to me? So I am thinking just leave them in place? Any suggestions?
I'll leave the triples to someone like MOB.  Why create another job down the road by not at least changing the fork oil while you have them off already?  The tortoise always wins the race Randy. :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:40:37 pm »
I'll leave the triples to someone like MOB.  Why create another job down the road by not at least changing the fork oil while you have them off already?  The tortoise always wins the race Randy. :great:
I've seen some catastrophic fork damages, and have to say that unless the forks were completely bent backwards under the bike, the tree's are probably just fine.. you can bend a tube easily, and with all the length/leverage involved, and the fact the forks themelves are only held parallel at the bottom, by the axle itself allows them to twist and bend very easily, with no damage to the clamps up top.
So I wouldn't panic about the trees, I would however remove them, clean and inspect the bearings, and regrease them... while doing all the rest.. knowing that if you decide to change out that steering stem, it will require punching out the old bearing cups from the bikes frame... ya can't mix and match in other words, a the steering head races, won't match the mating cup part on the frame, and will ruin the complete top and bottom bearing in short order.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...