Author Topic: Leaving the bike parked for a few weeks - precautions?  (Read 100 times)

Offline Jai

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Leaving the bike parked for a few weeks - precautions?
« on: July 01, 2020, 09:25:49 pm »
Hi folks,

My C10 is going to be sitting for three weeks. The gas tank and valve cover are off it. The tank is mostly empty.
1) Is three weeks enough to cause any issues from gas sitting in the tank or in the carbs?
2) If the tank is an issue, will adding stabil to the mostly empty tank suffice?
3) If the carbs are an issue, should I just put the valve cover back on and run the bike for a bit so that the gas in the carbs gets used, leaving them empty?

The other carbureted bike I owned before this (a 93 CBR1000F) could be happily left for a month without any hassle, but from what I'm reading, the C10 is a bit more finicky.

I will probably put the valve cover and spark plugs back on regardless, just so that the engine isn't exposed to any dirt, dust or moisture.

Thanks in advance.

Offline croach1776

• Scooter
  • "You cant lose what you never had," - Fatty Roach
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9094
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Leaving the bike parked for a few weeks - precautions?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 10:38:05 pm »
Dont take a chance. 3 weeks could turn into 3 months. Fill it with gas and stabilizer
C K Roach Jr  IBA#42837  SS-K  COG#9094  CDA# 0319  AMA# 2704431 _ "you cant lose what you never had"  2005 Concour "Gold Rush"  - Suzuki C50 Boulevard - 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Sold  1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:03:07 pm »
I would put the valve cover back on and run some gas through the carbs. Empty the gas tank into your car or truck, get some new gas and dose the gas with some stabil and an ounce or two of tcw3, two stroke oil and run the bike for awhile until the fresh gas is in the carbs, a good 10 mile ride should do it. The 2 stroke oil will leave a residue on the carbs innards and retard the build up left from evaporating gas. If you can get ethanol free gas in your area that would be even better.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 12:09:00 am »
If it's for 3 weeks and just 3 weeks you will be OK. I have had customer bikes
setting for longer with no problems. Yes spark plugs back in and cam cover set back on
and your good to go. Just remember where you left off when you get back.

Offline Jai

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:03:13 am »
Cool, thanks for the replies! I have a little extra time in hand now - my Murph gasket set arrived 3 days ahead of schedule. This at least gives me time to put everything back together with fresh gaskets.