Author Topic: Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?  (Read 11054 times)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »
Removed tank, removed coils, removed carbs.

Preparing to check for fubared connecting rods from my hydrolock

Were you prepping to do a carb job? you dont need to pull the carbs just to check for a bent rod.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline RoyG

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12671
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2018, 06:36:59 am »
Went for a ride. Feels great to be back in the wind after a long winter.
Get in the wind.

Offline JPD

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »
I got my broken motor mount replaced. I had to add a 0.050" washer to the left side after I installed the right side. Installed the radiator and filled with water. Yes it leaked. I had cut a seal on the front log during installation. The radiator came back out and I was able to put the extra o-ring from Murphs' kit in (Thanks Murph for including an extra one). Back together taking greater care to make sure the o-rings got seated in the head. Water, fuel, choke, key on and push the starter button. Fired right up. I used a syringe to feed the fuel and kept refilling until I got it up to temp and the fan cycled a couple of times. No leak this time. I still need to drain the water and add anti-freeze and put on the tupperware.

Thanks to SISF (carb work) and Murphs' Kits (C10 Parts and more)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2018, 12:04:24 am »
I got my broken motor mount replaced. I had to add a 0.050" washer to the left side after I installed the right side. Installed the radiator and filled with water. Yes it leaked. I had cut a seal on the front log during installation. The radiator came back out and I was able to put the extra o-ring from Murphs' kit in (Thanks Murph for including an extra one). Back together taking greater care to make sure the o-rings got seated in the head. Water, fuel, choke, key on and push the starter button. Fired right up. I used a syringe to feed the fuel and kept refilling until I got it up to temp and the fan cycled a couple of times. No leak this time. I still need to drain the water and add anti-freeze and put on the tupperware.

Thanks to SISF (carb work) and Murphs' Kits (C10 Parts and more)

Huzzah! We both finished at about the same time, and encountered similar problems haha.

I took mine out today for a breakfast ride, trying to run it as low on gas as I could. Had some older (though filtered and treated) gas that I wanted to run out. I had washed the tank, and run heet through it to dry out  the water, but I wanted all the badness gone. New petcock, and newly serviced carbs demand good fuel. Filled up with 93 octane and then we'll be back to status quo on regular gas after this tank empties later this week.
Current Bikes:

Offline JPD

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:44 pm »
Derick, I had to share that you were not the only one to have leaks the first attempt.
Yesterday I got the tank petcock rebuilt, fuel level sensor resistor, and the tank reinstalled. I checked the fuel guage indications when the run position is out now that I have the resistor in the system. Replaced the leaking seal on the balancer shaft and adjusted the balancer. Removed the front wheel and checked the bearings and installed a new Avon St tire. The rear will have to wait until next weekend. Then fine tune the 2 min jet kit. 

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2018, 01:06:56 pm »
My concern is that I have a fuel leak out of the overflow tube. Checked with steve, he said he leak checks them before he sends them out, which I believe.....but I also have a brand new petcock on there... :\
Current Bikes:

Offline Rideezdale

• Rideezdale
  • Tricycle
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2018, 11:10:24 pm »
  Rode my C10 for the first time since carb rebuild, valve adjustment, WP seal replacement, new coolant hoses, thermostat, rear coolant log orings and airbox repair. No leaks. It ran the best it has since last May, when I first purchased it.
  I also added the resistor to the fuel gauge and did the free power mod.
  This weekend I'll be bleeding the clutch and synching the carbs. Then test ride one more time and check for leaks and snug up all hose clamps before putting the rest of the plastic back on.
  Thank you Steve for your work on carbs and your videos and thank you Wizard for the resistor.

Ride safe
  Rideez
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours

Offline Neonsnow

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12817
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2018, 12:00:19 pm »
bringing back an old one......last night I replace the pads, well sorry metal plate with a sliver of pad left on it...Monday I'm pulling the front end apart to adjust steering head bearing and while I'm there replace fork oil.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
On Wednesday I rode the Concours over the North Cascades Hwy.(Hwy 20) to Winthrop for lunch at Carlos 1800 Cantina. It is 156 miles one way from my house. I went with my brother on his C-14. The weather was perfect, the traffic was light both ways with only a few Hardley's to pass. My chicken strips on the front tire are down to about 3/16" after the ride. :) My brother said my bags were almost dragging on some of the tight corners. I just love having one of the best riding roads in the country right in my back yard. :beerchug:
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike

Online GW

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12828
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2018, 04:53:20 pm »

Removed most of fairing to check valve clearance. Removed valve cover only to find spalled intake lobes on  #2 and #4 cylinders.  :'( Crap!  Pondering next step.  Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »

Removed most of fairing to check valve clearance. Removed valve cover only to find spalled intake lobes on  #2 and #4 cylinders.  :'( Crap!  Pondering next step.  Hope tomorrow is a better day.

A cam and follower change is easy from where you are now. I did mine for the same reason last year. I got torque cams and a used follower from Steve and now the bike runs the mountains really well. :)

Online GW

• Tricycle
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:13 pm »

A cam and follower change is easy from where you are now. I did mine for the same reason last year. I got torque cams and a used follower from Steve and now the bike runs the mountains really well. :)

Thanks for that, I need a bit of cheering up today.  I looked at Steve's torque cams which are a great idea, but they just aren't in the budget right now.  It may just have to set awhile until funding improves a bit. Has anyone priced a stock intake cam lately? ( I'm afraid to check!) :)

Online Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2018, 08:40:36 am »
Send a message to the wizard.  Bet he has some good used ones.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:48 am »
GW I have lived with pitted cams, slightly pitted is not abnormal. Known problem on these bikes. Mine doesn’t go all the way across the width of the cam so the follower doesn’t get interrupted by the pits.
Post a picture of them.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Online GW

• Tricycle
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2018, 12:42:18 pm »

Per request. Not great photos, I took about 20 to get 3-4 decent shots. What concerns me most is the pitting/spalling depth and the fact that it extends to the edge of the cam surface.  Your thoughts appreciated!

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:12 pm »
After changing the oil in the wifes Tahoe I pulled the C-10 out of the barn in to the driveway next to the C-14 to wash them both. Stood back and looked at it and decided I would take it and fuel it after it's bath and maybe ride it to work tomorrow.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2018, 06:13:51 pm »
I am trying to decide which bike to ride to the Skagit car show, the Concours or the Sabre.  :motonoises:

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2018, 06:18:10 pm »
I am trying to decide which bike to ride to the Skagit car show, the Concours or the Sabre.  :motonoises:
Looking for heavily biased answers?? 

I'll sayyyyy take the Connie.   ;D
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2018, 06:27:07 pm »
Looking for heavily biased answers?? 

I'll sayyyyy take the Connie.   ;D

Speaking of heavy, I think I will take the Sabre. It is 100+ pounds lighter, has fairing and bags and is easier in the parking lots.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2018, 05:04:17 am »
That is normal pitting. I would be concerned about the fact that width of those two spots in the middle if that purple colored areas above them is also pitting are close to taking the full width of the lobe.
I think you should start a new topic so you could get more advice on this subject.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:08:20 am by Bob_C_CT »

Offline Tour1

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2018, 02:49:01 pm »
I took a good side view picture of my 87 with the trimmed side fairings.  I had to crop the photo to get it under 350MB with good details.
1987 Concours

Online GW

• Tricycle
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:46 pm »

That is normal pitting. I would be concerned about the fact that width of those two spots in the middle if that purple colored areas above them is also pitting are close to taking the full width of the lobe.
I think you should start a new topic so you could get more advice on this subject.

Thanks Bob.  I originally thought only 2 of the lobes had pitting but after rotating the cams, all 4 have it, #1 being even worse!(see pic) I'm going to leave it alone for now until I can fix it right. May end up with Steve's high torque set, but not right now. Hey, at least my photos are getting better! ;) Thanks again for your input on this.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2018, 03:06:50 pm »
Yes that one looks worse. I don’t like the galling in the direction of the follower near the pitting, your follower maybe compromised.
I think it would be worth your while to start a new separate post/topic and include the photos. I believe you would get more views and responses from more knowledgeable people.

Online Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2018, 09:52:15 pm »
Back in March I bought a blue upper fairing on ebay.  It had one clean break at the turn signal.  I had it repaired and painted at Dauby's body shop in Tell City!  Shout out to Grant Dauby for making sure it was all done properly!  Finally got it on the lift and mounted my new beautiful upper fairing and all the other bodywork, including some newly acquired heat shields.   :)

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2018, 11:30:15 pm »
Put both my C-10s up for sale.
Let's face it, I can't ride 3 Connies at the same time, now can I? :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book