Author Topic: Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?  (Read 14782 times)

Offline JPD

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2019, 12:30:28 pm »
Yesterday was a beautiful day in Tidewater VA. Started it up and let it warm up just to have my son say hey dad your leaking something. Back on the center stand and off comes the plastic. I am getting good at that. I found a leak at the front cooling log. I replaced the seals last spring and thought I would be good for many years.  >:(

Last year was a bad year for maintenance. I made several mistakes doing basic maintenance and it limited my riding last year. A fuel tank rubber slipped out of place, I didn't notice it until the tank rattled during a ride.
 I didn't reinstall the cup washers on my valve cover seals. The old ones were stuck to the old seals and I thought that the seals were just old and hard. That one took 2000 miles to show up. Oil filled a spark plug well then leaked onto the cover and off the side. The brake peddle got slippery. 2nd set of gaskets and it still leaked. My service manual says to install the gasket, cover, and bolts. You have to go back to the removal to have it tell you to remove the bolts and washers. New washers = no leaks.
I rebuilt the petcock with Kaw parts. When I went to take the tank off for the valve cover redo the petcock was stuck open. Fuel everywhere. Drained the tank and installed a new petcock. Now that the old one is out it appears to be working correctly.
The forks leaked on the first ride last year. I managed to break the throttle cable adjuster when I removed the bars to do the forks. Of course I didn't notice it until everything was back together again.

Disappointed in myself I am usually better than this. I guess I was just rushing too much and had too many things working at the same time.  :-[

Offline Lee

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2019, 03:23:24 pm »
Good luck getting all ship shape!

Find as an avid (perhaps rabid) DIYer, I learn sometimes from my first try and do better next time. Then on it is a piece of cake!

Unless old age mindlessness, feeble eyes or slippery fingers assist me in doing it thrice!

Keep up the good work.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2019, 08:32:18 pm »
Good luck getting all ship shape!

Find as an avid (perhaps rabid) DIYer, I learn sometimes from my first try and do better next time. Then on it is a piece of cake!

Unless old age mindlessness, feeble eyes or slippery fingers assist me in doing it thrice!

Keep up the good work.
If it ain't worth doing two or three times, it ain't worth doing it at all!   ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2019, 09:21:25 pm »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) ;) ;) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

my dad always said.... "practice make perfect... sooner or later..."

I loved that man, he had me working on cars when I was 10... and I never stopped..
he would call people over, and say "look at my son, fixing your car... I taught him everything he knows.." and he felt good about it...

He topped working on cars when they stopped putting mechanical ignition points in the distributors, and called me to "come help me fix this.."

I practiced a lot in my life... still ain't got it "all" perfect, but getting closer...

:great: :great: :great: :great: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :great:

keep up the good work.   :great:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:26:59 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2019, 11:22:43 pm »
There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over  :-[  BTDT.
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2019, 01:34:24 am »
Nothing..... damned ankle.   :(
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2019, 05:31:38 am »
I finished going through the brakes on my C-10 and started working on my 74' Honda CB550 Four build. ;D
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike

Offline Rideezdale

• Rideezdale
  • Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2019, 03:04:10 pm »
I ordered my Avon am26 roadrider's.  It will be the first time with the 110/80 on the front, I'm anxious to see if I notice the difference.  :-\  It'll probably be awhile until I find out though,  snowy and subzero windchills here today! >:(
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2019, 07:02:39 pm »
I ordered my Avon am26 roadrider's.  It will be the first time with the 110/80 on the front, I'm anxious to see if I notice the difference.  :-\  It'll probably be awhile until I find out though,  snowy and subzero windchills here today! >:(
You will love the AM-26's.  I ran them on my C-10 for several years. Great handling and good solid ride.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Rideezdale

• Rideezdale
  • Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12728
« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2019, 07:49:29 pm »
You will love the AM-26's.  I ran them on my C-10 for several years. Great handling and good solid ride.

And I'll be able to give you a "live" review at the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6, only 12 weeks away! ;D :motonoises:
1973 Yamaha YZ80, 1977 Suzuki GS400, 1978 Suzuki GS1000E, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 1984 Yamaha Venture,  1987 Yamaha Venture, 1989 Yamaha FJ1200, 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2000 Kawasaki concours

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2019, 08:26:18 pm »

And I'll be able to give you a "live" review at the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous #6, only 12 weeks away! ;D :motonoises:
Good deal, will see you there. Getting antsy already. Got some surgery the first week of March but gotta be healed up by HMR #6.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2019, 12:30:27 am »
Just turned 60,000 miles on my 2000 Kawasaki Concours.
Bought in May 2007 with 35,000 miles when we lived in Maine.
Now almost 12 years later, running strong and still a great bike. Much more of a riding season here in Western North Carolina so the miles should move along at a quicker pace😎
Doug aka crag antler
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2019, 01:30:59 am »
Well we're suppose to get another 10-20 inches of snow in Minneapolis between now and Saturday. No riding in the near future though for comparison sake in 2017 I rode on the 15th of February. No better time than now to do a few things plus I'm just damn bored. Changed the rear shock oil with some Bel-Ray HVI 10w. Also added a diy relay switched accessory fuse panel. The fuse panel distributes power to my headlight and driving lights via their own relay controls. Used a spdt & spst for the headlight switching function and a spst for the driving lights. Got the relays for $11 and the fuse panel for $8. Probably overkill but just needed to spend some time in the garage.

Here a couple of pictures:

Accessory fuse block install on fender below igniter

J-box pin 8 trigger for fuse block

Relay for fuse block installed behind battery box

Fused supply to accessory fuse block via relay

Existing driving lights relay now connected to fuse block rather than directly to battery

Headlight relay mounted to interior of fairing with Scotch all-weather fastners. Used ceramic headlight socket.

Offline The Doctor

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12886
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2019, 09:04:54 pm »
Installed the helmet lock bars from Buck Sport Touring!  :) Shiniest part on the bike by far
It all started on a 250...

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2019, 02:07:15 am »
My Crysis (92-3 C10) just clicked her auto cam tension-er yesterday, and OMG she sounds good now. I gave her some love trimming away a few mm of hardening foam I recently used to repair a right side broken mirror ball joint.  Then filed a bit of aluminum off a nasty , amateur aluminum foot peg weld job done by yours truly.  Then,  inspecting a black plastic ribbon I had glued on the top right corner of my faring / blinker mount,  became very happy to see it held nicely .  I'm beginning to actually like the hand crafted fixes to Crysis  instigated by her throwing herself on the ground when I was in the house. I'm starting to reconsider actually replacing the foot peg mount since the weld is so,,, "custom", it adds character, contains memories, besides,, chicks dig scars  :great:
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline JPD

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2019, 08:32:37 pm »
Got it all back together after several runs up to the fan cycling to check for coolant leaks. Off to the hardware store for the first ride of the year. 5 miles away but it took 50 mile to do the round trip. Ended by getting stuck in the back yard to put it away in the storage shed. It took both my wife and son to get it moving. Yea we have had a lot of rain.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2019, 08:37:52 pm »
My Crysis (92-3 C10) just clicked her auto cam tension-er yesterday, and OMG she sounds good now. I gave her some love trimming away a few mm of hardening foam I recently used to repair a right side broken mirror ball joint.  Then filed a bit of aluminum off a nasty , amateur aluminum foot peg weld job done by yours truly.  Then,  inspecting a black plastic ribbon I had glued on the top right corner of my faring / blinker mount,  became very happy to see it held nicely .  I'm beginning to actually like the hand crafted fixes to Crysis  instigated by her throwing herself on the ground when I was in the house. I'm starting to reconsider actually replacing the foot peg mount since the weld is so,,, "custom", it adds character, contains memories, besides,, chicks dig scars  :great:

Dan, grind the pegs {so that they can fold up all the way}.
  That step helps prevent future breaks if the bike falls over.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2019, 07:25:44 am »
It was a nice day so I tried a valve adjustment, hydrolock test, and spark plug change.
I finished after midnight so it counts as today :)
All my valves had less than .13mm clearance before & I believe they are at spec now.
My cams look new, pic attached.  Do you see wear on the tip of the lobe, or is that a shadow?
The hydrolock test was done with an HF depth gauge scribed to 1/64".
It has maybe a 1/128" radius on the base so it's not totally precise, but it worked.
I measured each piston twice and got 2 different depths every time.
Lowest low to the highest high was under .024".
Cylinders 1 & 3 were the highest, in 2 tests each called the other one off by 1/128".
Cylinder 2 was slightly less than .024" lower than the high value for 1 & 3, using the 'worst' numbers (so the check test says it's better).
My math on the combustion chamber volume is coming out different than it did in the thread about Ice Man's parts bike so I'll leave it for another day.
1987 Concours

Offline cal

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2019, 02:27:17 pm »
 Just came in from dusting and polishing Connie. Going for a ride today with our nice weather. 16 years ago today I bought this bike. Connie has been the longest bike I've owned and the second longest vehicle I've owned. (GMC 22 years) This bike has been trouble free except for two headlamp bulbs. I never include things like brake pads, tires, batteries, air filter, plugs, etc, as I consider these consumables. Lower back willing, I'm hoping for another 16! Lot of fun on the cheap! 

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
« Reply #194 on: Yesterday at 12:14:50 am »
Put the fuel tank back on to warm up the oil to drain.
Drained oil and pulled oil cooler as process to remove exhaust header.
Mufflers, radiator and carbs tomorrow. Sure love daylight savings.
Doug aka crag antler
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #195 on: Yesterday at 12:34:07 am »
First ride today after a LONG winter and first ride with some new farkles and maintenance. For the farkles I installed the Madstad windshield system and a LED headlight. Madstad definitely reduces buffeting and the LED really improved lighting. In terms of maintenance I had changed the read shock fluid and must say it made a significant difference in the general suppleness of the rear suspension. Much more controlled and smooth. Here's to another great riding season!

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
« Reply #196 on: Yesterday at 09:12:42 pm »
Was able to tackle removing the radiator, fluid looked nice but installing new anyhow.
Mufflers and one side of the headers came off. Corrosion at mid pipe was worse than I thought.
Have the right side bolt in the rear soaking with PB Blaster. Great stuff.
Upon installation of oil cooler and radiator, I’m going to remove OEM grilles and use some neat stainless grid I was able to rescue  from the renovation of our behavioral health wing.  :-\
Pulled carbs to disassemble and place in my ultrasonic cleaner while the bowls
go to SISF for overflow tubes.
Replacement headers should arrive by end of week from Jet Hot with ceramic
coatings. Pics will follow on those.
Good weekend all the way around
Doug aka crag antler
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650