Author Topic: Rear Brake dragging... Help!  (Read 1694 times)

Offline 3D biker

• Big Wheels
  • Keep the rubber side down
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Rear Brake dragging... Help!
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and to my 04 Connie 10. I've got lots of helpful tips from you guys!
I've been riding it for about 2 months with no problems.

Until now... I put her on the center stand and gave the back wheel a spin.
My rear break is dragging! I took off the caliper, and the pads, used break cleaned on the piston.

But its still dragging. I can force the piston back but when I take it for a test ride, I have to pump the break pedal until I get some friction and it drags again. I dont think there is air in the system, as I have not opened the system, and it was riding fine before.

I could bleed the break fluid, or at least crack a seal and try getting rid of any air in the system? or maybe its water contamination?

What can I do to fix this?

any help is appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Offline Pat and Sher in MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7670
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Rear Brake dragging... Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42:27 pm »
Hi 3D,

How many miles on the bike? How worn are the pads? How dark is the rear brake fluid?

If the pads are worn down and the fluid hasn't been changed then the seals could be a
little hard and won't retract the piston to prevent dragging. If the fluid is dark then the first
thing would be changing out the fluid and see if that helps, also change out the pads if they
are worn more than half way and that could solve the problem. If that doesn't fix it then you'll
probably need the caliper rebuilt with new seals.

Also check the pins that the caliper slides on, The caliper should slide easily along the pins.
If not then clean the pins and lube with brake lube.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly with better advice but those are some things I'd look at.
Pat & Sher in Ma.  04 C10 Dark Angel,  87 Ninja 600RX, 79 KZ1300 (x2)

Offline Brian

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6374
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »

Do you ride with the bags on?

If you do, check to make sure the right bag is not drooping and bouncing against the caliper.  I went thru 2 sets of pads and rotor before reallizing the problem was caused by the bag.  At rest there was enough clearance between the caliper an bag, but when moving the bag was hitting the caliper.  My bag had cracked at one of the lips that attaches to the antler.  It was very small crack that was very difficult to see unless the ag was stressed under a load.
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline 3D biker

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »
Hey Guys,

the bike has about 30k the pads are 4mm and the brake fluid is a yellow / orange ish colour.

It all seems fairly new to me.

(I haven't learned how to quote yet but Pat and Sher in MA said this)
'Also check the pins that the caliper slides on, The caliper should slide easily along the pins.
If not then clean the pins and lube with brake lube.'

Which pins? the ones that the pads sit on? Clymer, has something called the caliper holder, it that the one? sorry I'm used to drum breaks...
Can I grease it with any outdoor auto grease or does it have to be brake grease?

Brian:
I mostly ride with the bags on, with about 16lbs in them. When I took it on the test ride, no saddle bags same problems.
But I'm going outside now to check for cracks.

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:13:47 am »
Hey Guys,

the bike has about 30k the pads are 4mm and the brake fluid is a yellow / orange ish colour.

It all seems fairly new to me.

'Also check the pins that the caliper slides on, The caliper should slide easily along the pins.
If not then clean the pins and lube with brake lube.'

Which pins? the ones that the pads sit on? Clymer, has something called the caliper holder, it that the one? sorry I'm used to drum breaks...
Can I grease it with any outdoor auto grease or does it have to be brake grease?

Brian:
I mostly ride with the bags on, with about 16lbs in them. When I took it on the test ride, no saddle bags same problems.
But I'm going outside now to check for cracks.

Check to see if you have some freeplay on the brake pedal before it pushes the piston on the rear brake cylinder you should have a 1/4 inch or so of play. Have you ever adjusted the pedal height or had any tip overs?

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • COG#: 6497
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:35:57 am »
From your description, it sounds like you maybe just sprayed brake cleaner on the exterior of the piston? If that is the case, this will not do anything to help. You need to disassemble the piston from the caliper and do a proper cleaning to everything inside and out. The problem most likely lies with corrosion or crud build up on the piston, or crud in the master cylinder. Something is keeping it from making the very small retraction needed to give the rotor clearance. 
If the seals are in good condition, go ahead and reassemble, bleed, and see if things are working properly. If you do not have a service manual to follow, get one. If none of this makes any sense to you, find a local cogger to help you learn. It really is simple, but will cost you big money if you take it in to a shop.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline 3D biker

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:09 am »
Ok I will try to disassemble. Reading through the Clymer manual it says I need compressed air to get the cylinder out. I don't really have a shop, just a bag of tools! any suggestions on how to get it out with out compressed air?

Offline 3D biker

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:31 am »
Also do I use DOT 4 synthetic brake oil or non synthetic DOT 4?

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:57 am »
Also do I use DOT 4 synthetic brake oil or non synthetic DOT 4?

Use regular DOT 4

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 01:27:28 am »
Ok I will try to disassemble. Reading through the Clymer manual it says I need compressed air to get the cylinder out. I don't really have a shop, just a bag of tools! any suggestions on how to get it out with out compressed air?

Soak it over night with PB blaster or a similar solvent before attempting to force anything. most likely you will have to rebuild the caliper and this is the time to order the parts. You can try www.murphskits.com and Gary does not have what you need then try the parts fiche at www.ronayers.com

Make sure you thoroughly clean all the PB blaster off the caliper before your rebuild.  Also if your brake fluid is "yellow/orange" in  color it too needs to be replaced. I would flush both front and rear brakes as well as your clutch reservoir while you are waiting for parts.  None of this is difficult to do even with just a "bag of tools".

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:01 am »
The folks here have given some good advice.

Also take a look at the COG Tech Pages.
Many common questions and procedures are listed.
This is the link to the Caliper Re-Build Link

If you find any errors or confusing info please let Slybones know.

Cheers

Colin
PS you don't need a compressor to push the piston out, you can pump it out with break fluid and the peddle but it's a bit messy!
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline Shiney

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8965
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »
I was getting about 7k out of a set of rear pads. Found a thread on here how to tweak caliper brace. That fixed it. Just remove bolt from brace at the caliper and pull up on brace to disengage. It should slide back in place without dragging. If it does, raise bar and push or pull a little until no drag is noticed when engaging caliper. Worked for me.

Offline medicmerl

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 02:17:49 am »
I just cooked my rear caliper the other day on my way home from work. When I say cooked, I mean it was smoking! I did not throw any water on it, I was able to let it cool down on its own. Would you stay away from rebuilding it? I was thinking of buying a used one and rebuilding it. I have owned my 04 Concours for two years, was this a fluid issue most likely?

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 12:51:45 pm »
<snip>

<snip>

Just a little off topic. If you want to quote somebody. Just click on the quote button on the top right of their post (that you want to quote). That will open up a window for you to reply (like a normal reply) with their quote already inserted.
 Just make sure that you type your posts either before or after the {quote} that is shown by the beginning/end with the {quote} 0r the end with a {/quote}. But it will be Look at it afterwards to see how it looks. If your post appears in the quote, your inside their {quote} 's! I know that sounds confusing, but try quote and you'll see what I mean! LOL