Author Topic: C10 head shake  (Read 584 times)

Offline billp47

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8835
  • Membership Level: Active
C10 head shake
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:58 am »
I've seen several posts in the forum about head shake on the C10, mine was one of those with the shake, it's a 2003 but the year doesn't matter, it happens on several bikes from various years it seems. My shake occurred right about the time I hit 40 mph accelerating or decelerating (with or without a passenger), past that point it would smooth out. The most common suggestion in the forum for the possible cause of the shake is the steering head bearing which I agree with, but other suggestions say it's the tires or tire pressure, out of alignment, etc. all of which could be causing the problem. The 1st thing I did was to re-torque the steering head bearing to specs but it didn't really need to be tightened, it was spot on, doing the various test nothing indicated there was a problem with  the bearing. I always maintain the correct tire pressure according to the tire mfg., no extra add-ons to change weight, I usually leave the bags off unless I'm on a day or long trip for several days. The tires were Shinko & they were getting very worn, the rear had a flat profile, not round anymore. Last week I replaced the tires, put a Michelin Pilot Road2 120/70/18 on the front and a Pirelli Route 150/80/16 on the rear, 35 lbs. pressure, I would up that if the bike was loaded for a trip with the bags & trunk & passenger. I just wanted to pass this on that my head shake has disappeared, I can accelerate with one hand on the bar (not recommended but it was a test) and it's shake free, so in MY case I think the tires were the cause of the shake. These new tires are awesome, going around corners now is a blast, great tracking & feel, only time will tell what kind of mileage I'll get from these puppies, haven't been on wet roads yet but I will, it's Florida and it will be wet eventually and then I'll find out how they handle wet conditions, I'll try to keep my throttle hand calm and acting responsibly but sometimes it needs a 'fix' and I'll get on it if ya know what I mean. Anyway, I just wanted to pass this on to my fellow Coggers FYI, keep the rubber side down!
techrepbill  COG # 8835

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: C10 head shake
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:53 am »
Thanks for sharing your results Bill.  Mine started after new Avons were installed ironically.
My solution was tightening the steering head bearing and adding 2 lbs additional pressure
to the front tire, so everyone's cause, and solution may be a different combination of things.

I think everyone feels the necessity to 'stretch her legs' from time to time.  It IS a Sport Touring bike after all.  :motonoises:
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: C10 head shake
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 03:49:47 pm »
I have never heard of much head shake problem on acceleration but I have heard 10 years of reasons and fixes for the 40mph deceleration head shake.  In my mind the bike is just close always close to doing it.  Even if you tune it out one day it might be back.  Best idea, keep one hand on the bars when decelerating as long as you own this bike.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107