Author Topic: Recommended repair shop south of Milwaukee  (Read 353 times)

Offline Rich

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Recommended repair shop south of Milwaukee
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:28:54 am »
My aging 2002 Concours with 52,000 miles no longer runs at idle RPM's.  I've turned up the idle adjuster quite a bit but it still wants to stall out.  I've been taking it to a shop in Lake Geneva, WI but the guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing because it's still no better after two trips there.  He did a carburetor overhaul and adjustments that improved the idle issue for a short while but after 500 miles or so it's back to stalling out.  Could anyone recommend a shop that they trust to repair this issue in the Milwaukee south area?

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Recommended repair shop south of Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:59:28 am »
I would recommend that you leave the shops alone.  Pull the carbs and send them to Steve in Sunny Florida and let him work his magic on them.  His work is worth every penny.  While he has them, have overflow tubes installed to protect against the dreaded hydrolock.  If you could take a video of your bike running, that would go a long way in getting the answers you're looking for.  If you need help posting the video, PM me and I'll get it posted for you.
 Previous tech editor, MOB, will tell you that you're peeing in the wind if you rebuild carbs and neglect doing a complete cleaning of the fuel tank.  Spotless carbs turn to dirty carbs if this isn't done.  Another thing to look at is the petcock.  Some have reported issues with running that were caused by a pinhole in the vacuum diaphram that controls fuel flow in the petcock.  When was the last valve adjustment done?  One other thing that MOB will tell you is to try one thing at a time and not multiple things.  Hard to understand what happened when you've made changes to more than one thing at a time. 
  I know you asked for a reference for a shop.  I used to take bikes to shops in the past.  Then I had a bad experience at a shop and decided I couldn't do any worse than they did.  They weren't afraid to charge either!  Found out that I could pull the top end of my GS1100 and replace the base gasket that they couldn't get to seal.  They tried 3 times and I still ended up with base gasket problems.  I did it one time and it's still going years later.  Point is, you might consider getting your hands dirty.  You have a ton of knowledge here.  You will get a ton of help here.  You'll find that just hanging out here and reading will make much of the mysteries of the C10 easy to understand.  If you become a paying member, you'll get access to stuff in the tech section that forum members don't get.  Lots more reasons to join COG though.  Check out the links below to Steve's vids on youtube and his website.  Good luck whatever you decide to do!
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC01PL9eHAFi8dAV1d9FHLTw/videos
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:59:02 pm »
What's a guy to do if he does not have the ability or tools to do what is needed.
Best bet is to join the club, make friends and find that one guy who's willing to
help you out. He will be a club member.
If I was on your side of the lake I would invite you to my garage of all things
mechanical and we would work out the problems.

Offline Rich

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:16:58 pm »
I agree with you on leaving the shops alone.  I bought the Clymer manual the day after I bought the bike back in ‘06.  I had done all the work on the bike until the engine started stalling.  I’ve changed the engine oil, differential oil, brakes, mounted and installed new tires, changed brake fluid, and other small service stuff so getting my hands dirty is something that I enjoy.  But when I read through the process of how to tune carbs it seemed insurmountable.  Taking off the gas tank, removing the carbs, and going through the tune-up process would leave me with a garage floor covered in parts.  The thought of not being able to put it all back together or having the bike end up running like it does now made me a little apprehensive.  Also, living vicariously through my kids and working long hours really limits my time that I have to work on my bike.  That’s how I ended up at a shop – let them do the work which would free up my time to ride the bike instead but that didn’t work out well at all.  You’re dead-on on your point about cleanliness.  About 50 miles after leaving the shop the first time it started running rough at low speeds.  I took it back and the mechanic said that the carbs were dirty again because I had debris in my fuel.  He said that he also found holes in the black, dome-shaped diaphragms so those were replaced too.  The shop did a full tune-up including spark plugs and valves but I’m wondering if they even did that correctly.  Thanks for the info Bud and RWulf and the advice for becoming a full member.  Hopefully, between doing that and finding a member that could lend me a hand, I’ll get the bike running like new again.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:29:26 pm »
   Rich here are some video resources from Shoodaben .

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/video-resources

Lots more info at Steve's website. I sent my carbs to Steve and they are perfect.
  Might try net spark plugs and valve adjustment also.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/how-to-contact-me
   Send a note to Steve about your problem.   
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:19:14 am »
+1 on sending the carbs to SISF and watching his videos As said before clean the fuel system before you fire it up with the clean carbs For me carburator is french for dont screw with it so sending them to the spa was a no brainer When I got my carbs back from Steve I had the bike  running by the end of the day
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:54 pm »
You'll be surprised how much crap gets caught in the filter. You need to replace or install another filter if your fuel is always dirty. Carbs are very sensitive to debris.

Offline defkaf

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 12:39:30 am »
This is not south, but west, of Milwaukee in Waukesha, on Grand Ave.

You could talk to the guys at Redline All Pro Powersports. I bought my '06 Connie used from them three years ago. It has been a sweet runner, but I don't know if it's because of anything they did or not.

The only work they have done for me personally is on the '84 V65 Sabre I owned before the Connie. However I went to them on a friends recommendation who has had more major work done. The fact that they will take on older, carbureted, bikes sets them apart from any of the new dealers around here.

At the time I bought my mine from them, one of the two owners was riding a C10 as well.

https://www.redlineps.com/

Good luck whichever way you go,

Don

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Bicycle
  • Blessed!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 05:07:29 pm »
Ric,

Did the dealer drain and clean your fuel tank, change the fuel filter or install a inline fuel filter? If not you need to start there, it doesn't matter who does your work or how good they do it, you need to solve the main issue, which sounds like trash in your gas tank or possibly your gas line could have some interior deterioration.

Personally, With the information you presented here I would go back to the dealer and lay out a case for them redoing their work. Stating what the mechanic (sic) did verses what he should have done i.e. he should have suggested installing/changing the fuel filter, fuel line or cleaned the gas tank. Anybody can change parts, a real mechanic will look for what caused the dirty carbs and then do the proper repair any other underlying conditions.

Also It looks like you have done a lot of work on your Connie yourself. You should have no major issues in tackling these repairs yourself. Don't let it be  intimidating, one step at a time. Remember, take pictures from different angles as you remove parts, and install them in reverse order. If you get stumped, you have the forum for help.

Hope this helps in some way.

Donald
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:29:52 pm by donaldj »
Vintage43