Author Topic: Removing the bar ends to put new Murphy grips on  (Read 262 times)

Offline Connman

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12847
  • Membership Level: Active
Removing the bar ends to put new Murphy grips on
« on: August 15, 2018, 12:25:06 am »
Hi, can anyone let me know where I can find instructions or give me some tips on how to remove the bar ends on the 2000 zg1000 I just bought so I can replace the grips with the new Murphy I got in the mail today!

Thanks
Conman

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
Re: Removing the bar ends to put new Murphy grips on
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:37:01 am »
Should be a plastic cap on the end , pry thay off with a knife or small screwdriver . loosen the allen bolt under the cap and they should come off . Might have to wiggle them a little while pulling .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:05 am »
No harm to use a shot of WD-40 to help slide off the old one.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline Connman

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12847
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:42:18 am »
Got it, thanks!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 12:53:12 am »

oh great, I just get done posting something about grip Glue, and you are saying " just spritz WD-40" in there...
don't do that... stick the red tube from a gumout can, under the inner end, and spritz it, then twist and pull... it comes right off...

WD40 wil always be a difficult thing to remove, and will ways prevent a new grip, from gripping the bar....  :truce: :truce:
anyways, if you are replacing the grip, just slice the mofo lengthwise, and peel it off... and use rubbing alcohol to wet the new grips inner surface, and bar/throttle, before jamming the new one on... let it set 20 minutes, and it evaporates... no muss, no fuss...

the bar end bolt is sometimes tough, but a 6mm allen key, combined with a short length of pipe for a cheaterbar, works well.. you don't have to Loktite the bar end when you put it back on... unless you never want to remove it again... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:02:27 am »

oh great, I just get done posting something about grip Glue, and you are saying " just spritz WD-40" in there...
don't do that... stick the red tube from a gumout can, under the inner end, and spritz it, then twist and pull... it comes right off...

WD40 wil always be a difficult thing to remove, and will ways prevent a new grip, from gripping the bar....  :truce: :truce:
anyways, if you are replacing the grip, just slice the mofo lengthwise, and peel it off... and use rubbing alcohol to wet the new grips inner surface, and bar/throttle, before jamming the new one on... let it set 20 minutes, and it evaporates... no muss, no fuss...

the bar end bolt is sometimes tough, but a 6mm allen key, combined with a short length of pipe for a cheaterbar, works well.. you don't have to Loktite the bar end when you put it back on... unless you never want to remove it again... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce:

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes.
I never had any problems with the WD-40. Maybe I'm just lucky or too stoopid to know better.
Never used it to install, just to take off.
Seriously, I've had good luck.
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 01:18:39 am »

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes.
I never had any problems with the WD-40. Maybe I'm just lucky or too stoopid to know better.
Never used it to install, just to take off.
Seriously, I've had good luck.

just pulling you leg Harry... but no, I don't suggest it for grips...

It's funny, Guy Young and I lived close, and I was watching him change a tire once, in the patio, swearing profusely.. we were drinking beers, and he grabbed a can of WD40, and sprayed the tire, and the rim pretty juicily.. and slapped that tire on... I balked, and asked him "wth are you doing man?"
he laughed at me, and finished up... his tire never slipped on the rim, and all was good...

Him being my Mentor, a couple years back when i was doing a tire change manually in the garage, in 102* temps, I said 'heck with this', and followed suite.. neither tire spun on the rim, sealed fine, and I had no issues.. except getting the balance weights to stick to the rim... dammit... I swapped tires again and had no issues pealing them off either, went smooth.. unlike when I used a fellow COG members $$$ tire machine to mount a set, and when I was using the 'lube' I asked "what is this stuff"?
he told me it was "cheap Olive Oil, from Costco, like $3 a gallon... works great" had a heck of a time removing the overspary from my wheels (to apply balance weights) and also my rotors.. because he 'liberally sprayed the stuff.." gumout wouldn't even remove it... man, what a mistake.. and when I wanted to change those tires out a year later, it was like they were superglued to the rims..pieces of rubber were actually glued to the rim, and had to be removed with a wire wheel.... live and learn.
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :great: :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:30:49 am »
I use denaturated alcohol to remove stubborn slippery stuff.
Works like a charm.

I think the only substance you can't clean off is silicone lube. Once that gets on a surface, nothing will stick to it, not evan the most toxic/corrisive cleaner will get that stuff off. May have to use a flame thrower to burn it off.

As for greasing up tires, i use Murphy's Soap Oil, which is really not oil at all. Just a "ph" neutral slippery soap. Once it dries up, it don't slip.
I can inflate and seat a tire using a hand pump with that stuff.

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 11:53:36 am »
Something I published a long time ago in The Concourier:

The protrusions at the end of the bar end weights are actually a plastic caps.  Take a knife end and work it down between the body of the weight and the cap at the step.  Start on the underside so any marring of the weight won't be as visable.  Slowly work your way around until you have a slight gap, they use a thicker tool (like a putty knife) to get them to pop out.  Once the plastic cap is off there is an Allen head cap screw up in the bore of the weight, when removed will allow the weight to come off.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:35:14 pm by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC