Author Topic: Replacing horn pack  (Read 744 times)

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Replacing horn pack
« on: June 14, 2017, 02:09:58 pm »
Can anyone tell me what all has top be removed to get at and remove the horn assembly behind the upper fairing? Do I take off the outter shell or can I get the headlight out and then access the horns? Can I get to it by taking off the windshield? All input is appreciated.

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Replacing horn pack
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:31:35 pm »
Sorry, fairing needs to come off.

This is from memory, but remove inner fairings, and side fairings.

Remove windshield.

Remove 1 screw holding speedo cover.

Remove mirrors.

Now, if I haven't missed a screw, remove upper fairing. Horns accessible.

Personally I'd skip all that if you're having horn issues and just disconnect them and install new horns on the fairing stays under the inner fairings, or somewhere else.

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 02:58:41 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I have the side and inner fairings removed but will continue with the mirrors, windshield, and screw holding the speedo and go from there. I've already got the OEM horn assembly bought and waiting to go in so I won't go with other horns. Just thought maybe they could be accessed through the headlight.

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:37:46 am »
It will look about like this when you get to the horns.

pic below
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:12 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I have the side and inner fairings removed but will continue with the mirrors, windshield, and screw holding the speedo and go from there. I've already got the OEM horn assembly bought and waiting to go in so I won't go with other horns. Just thought maybe they could be accessed through the headlight.

Unnnfotunately...the horns are right under the the "grill" just below the windshield/above the headlight.  :(

It's not hard to take the upper fairing off, just tedious.

PS, make a little carboard holder for fairing screws - different lengths go in different spots (especially the one under the windshield)

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 01:08:19 am »
Yeah, it looks tedious but it's like anything else, first time is adventuresome. So I guess the whole upper fairing comes off in one piece?

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 06:59:39 pm »
Yeah, it looks tedious but it's like anything else, first time is adventuresome. So I guess the whole upper fairing comes off in one piece?

Yep. One big piece.

Offline captainporksword

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:41:42 am »
my horn got stuck on and i didn't have a screwdriver to get to the fuse panel and pull it so i poked the wires off with a knife and have to do all this now

Online JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:41:50 am »
my horn got stuck on and i didn't have a screwdriver to get to the fuse panel and pull it so i poked the wires off with a knife and have to do all this now

Meh - just install new horns (like the steble) somewhere else - easier and just as effective.

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:05 pm »
Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm just now getting back to this and will be replacing these horns this weekend. Nobody mentioned taking the speedo cable lose so I'm assuming the speedo stays in place along with the dash or inner panel? I've had the belly pan and side panels off already doing other things so I can see inside to unplug the signals and headlight and was wondering about the cable. Will the outter shell seperate from the dash, is that the way it comes off? Thanks in advance guys.

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:33:58 pm »
Still haven't gotten back to this but I guess it's just as well since no more replys. Maybe I'm asking too many questions.....just wanted to be sure about the instrument cluster.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:05:33 pm »
Most louder horns will not fit in the stock location.

If you can remove the wires to the horns without removing the fairing, I suggest,,,,,
        Leave the stock horns in place and just pull and reroute the wires.
Install new / louder / bigger horns in another location and add a relay from battery to the horn.
Use the existing horn wires to trigger the relay.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Online Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:25:40 pm »
The speedo cable can come off at the axle or on the speedo cluster whichever is easier to get to. The outer sheath comes off then the inner cable can come out of axle speedo housing or out of the speedo cluster.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 12:44:01 pm »
Not going the different horn route since I'm a stickler for originality and have bought the stock horn assembly already. As mentioned, I'm nearly there already with most of the faring outta' the way. So the outside shell does come off and leaves the cluster in place huh? I appreciate the replys and I'll post back if I get hung up. Thanks again, Mark

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 01:29:16 pm »
If I remember right you can get to the horns with the instrument cluster in place, but I took mine off when I re did my horns just to have more working room.

HTH
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »
Well, I finally got back to this task and wanted to follow up on what all I encountered. As advised, I removed the windshield, the one screw holding the dash, unplugged the headlight and turn signals and removed the U-brackets @ the mirrors. After doing so, the fairing rotates down outta' the way resting on a towel between the fairing and front fender. The bolts on the side of the fairing don't have to come off to access the horns and the speedo cable is also left alone and not unscrewed. Once the fairing rotates down outta' the way, there's plenty of room to unscrew the horn assembly, unplug all four wires and plug the new one in and mount it. After completing this task, I would NOT recommend mounting horns in another location as suggested earlier in this thread. It's pretty easy to access, remove and replace the stock horns as the factory intended. Thanks again for all the tips and advice guys!