Author Topic: Replacing pod filters with original air box and filter  (Read 233 times)

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 5753
  • Membership Level: Active
Replacing pod filters with original air box and filter
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »
 :017:
I'm considering replacing the pod type carb air filters with the original type air box and filter. My '86 was modified by PO [deceased] and who knows where the original parts went. There is no air injection system; (49 state model?).  I can't seem to find any reference that the carbs were re-jetted in the FSM that came with the bike. [ PO kept notes in FSM on changes, services, repairs. But no notes on removal of air box!] So, I have questions.
1: Can the air box be installed with carbs in place and pods removed?
2: Obviously, you remove side panels and tool tray. Maybe battery box?
3: Boots and springs go on carbs, then into air box?
4: I'll have to look, but the hose from the bottom of the air box to crank case may not be needed. Correct?
5: Any other tips or thoughts about this job?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Replacing pod filters with original air box and filter
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:55 pm »
Hey Bob, I sent you a PM on the airbox.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:34:50 pm »
you'll have to pull the carbs to have enough room to get the airbox in. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:39:49 am »
you'll have to pull the carbs to have enough room to get the airbox in. Steve
...which would be the perfect time to send them to SISF and have overflow tubes installed and the 2MM done.   ;D

Which reminds me, I really have to yank the carbs off of my 06...
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:37 am »
1) No, Steve already answered that, go to his website, select video resources for his video on carb removal/replacement, makes the job easier.

2) Battery box stays. Gas tank comes off, after side panels are removed to avoid scratching them.

3) Not the proper sequence of install but correct parts if that's what your asking, watch Steve's video.

4) I would install hose, JMHO, not sure of consequences of not installing. I'll have to look at mine again when I clean my air filter soon, I think it's connected to a channel in the airbox that has openings near each of the four carb intake tubes, if I remember correctly.

5) Check out Steve's other video on fixing or preemptive fix on the possible cracking of the airbox, easy fix before you install the airbox.
You will need the 2 bolts that hold the airbox to both sides of the frame. You should see the empty tapped holes on the frame.
There is a large hole on the front top of the airbox that is for a hose that is part of the emissions stuff that split and connects to both reed outlet covers on top of the engine. I'm guessing when the pods went on the owner removed the reed covers and installed block off plates so you just need to plug the airbox hole.

As Jon stated you may want to think about sending the carbs to Steve, not knowing if they were re-jetted, better mid range performance, no lag at @2500-3000rpm, overflow tubes are a plus or assemble them back on the bike and see if it runs ok. I would guess they were adjusted for more airflow with the pods. How does it run now?

You could probably recoup some of the cost of the airbox swap from the sale of the pods (after you are happy with the way it runs) on ebay/craigslist, not sure of the cost when new but can't be cheap. Measure the tube size of them so you may hit a larger buyer audience then just a Connie owner.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 5753
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:20:20 pm »
Bob-C-CT:

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to watch SISF's videos this morning. Jim Snyder has an air box and boots, so I may have that unit in mind. I think there are carb boots between the head and carbs also, if I'm not mistaken. [They have metal bands securing them to the carbs and are seen in Steve's video. With 97K+ on the bike, those will have to be replaced also I'd suspect. Not sure if Murph has those or not;Ayers probably do.]
I briefly watched the video last night about re-installing the carbs and noticed the tool for putting the boots back in place. I'm not sure if that's a "home made tool' or if a specialty tool. The heat gun is another tool I don't have, but may be able to borrow.
Aside from that, removal and re-install looks to be "do able". At best I'm a novice shade tree mechanic with tools and some mechanical ability, so other than the cost of additional tools and parts, I think I can do it. Humans assembled the bike; humans work on the bike in a shop; so if I'm pateint
I think I can do it. My problem is in taking it to a shop that they assign some young person that the bike is older than they are and stuff gets lost or not replaced correctly and I'm out $$$!

I'm 79 years old; this bike will be my last. Social Security doesn't leave much in the budget for "extras", the the "DIY" approach appeals to me.

Thanks for the info and things to watch for in addition to Steve's video. Ride safe and ride often.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
Bob, the boots between the head and the carbs are probably ok.
Money would be better spent on the boots between the carbs and the airbox. {as new/more flexible makes it easer to do the install}
   {To save $$, using the old boots is do-able, just a bit harder to do}.

The tool you need is available at harbor freight.
A hair dryer will work as a heat gun. Just takes longer to get it all heated up.

Wish I were nearer. Would be glad to help you with this.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org