Author Topic: Replacing the speedometer cable  (Read 1614 times)

Replacing the speedometer cable
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:05:00 am »
OK, whats the trick to unscrewing my broken speedometer cable behind the insturment panel? I cant seem to get my fingers up there to get ahold of the thing. And once off, how should I lubricate the new one?  Thanks.  

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:25:00 am »
Bill;    Try putting the handlebars at almost a full left lock and put your hand in from the right side past the radiator filler between the headstock and the right fork tube.    If you have nimble fingers and an arm thats not too thick you can get to it.  If not remove the LHS glove box ant then its easy.    I have also got to it from underneath.    To lube remove the inner (it just pulls out) you can smear with a light moly grease.Don't put too much on the speedo head end as you don't want it inside the speedo itself.        
Colin Prior

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:55:00 pm »
OK, I tried putting the bike in all sorts of positions, and myself as well. Yet was unable to get my fingers or pliers on the nut to loosen the cable.  So close yet so far.  So now I'm on to the second suggestion.  How do I remove the LHS glove box ant (left hand side glove box)? I do have a Kawasaki 1000 GTR Motorcycle Service Manual, which is worth less and tells me nothing here.  Any suggestions on a better service manual as well. As always the local dealer is eager to help for $$$.  Thanks,  This message was edited by  on 02/07/2010 @ 4:10 PM

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:27:00 pm »
The LHS glove box comes off pretty easy.    The 94-06 C10 has a one piece plastic inner fairing  It has 2 external screws and 2 or 3 inside the glove box itself.  Remove the glove box lid (squeeze the prongs together and pull) and its easier to get to the screws.    The 86 - 93 has 4 external screws and again a couple inside the box.    The Clymer workshop manual is also good, but they don't go into much detail on how the fairing comes off if I recall correctly,  Its pretty intuitive for the most part.    Good luck      
Colin Prior

Offline Paulie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4561
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 11:54:00 am »
I'd get comfy r/r the glove boxes aka inner fairings. There's *lotsa* maint jobs that need em outta da way.    For the top end of the speedo cable, long needlenose are da bomb.  01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh  OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd  

Offline tog

• Big Wheels
Re: Replacing the speedometer cable
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:19:54 am »
The LHS glove box comes off pretty easy.    The 94-06 C10 has a one piece plastic inner fairing  It has 2 external screws and 2 or 3 inside the glove box itself.  Remove the glove box lid (squeeze the prongs together and pull) and its easier to get to the screws.    The 86 - 93 has 4 external screws and again a couple inside the box.   

New member, reviving an old thread. My 1986 model has the soft top glove boxes - four poppers - and I'm in the same predicament. Does the same work-around (removing the l/h box) work on this model too?