Author Topic: Resurfacing faded parts  (Read 900 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12886
  • Membership Level: Active
Resurfacing faded parts
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:09:19 pm »
So, planning on getting the shiny parts painted (sending them off to people probably) on the Connie. But I was wondering what do with the black parts. All the parts near the cockpit/glove boxes etc. Those parts and the saddle bags are all very worn and faded. I've dug around the forum and seen Mother's Back to Black, but after ordering a bottle, it helped a bit, but definitely didn't return them to black black. So I'm wondering if there are other options.

Thinking I might to have to actually paint or spray paint them, but figured I'd ask around to see if there's any recommendations. I know absolutely nothing about paint, so any help would be very much appreciated.
It all started on a 250...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Resurfacing faded parts
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
Yup, awesome stuff. :D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:15 pm »
One caveat to the Eastwood is that it will not cure properly above 40% humidity. It does look great though.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 10:36:57 pm »
Here ya go.
https://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-resurfacer-matte-black-aerosol.html?fee=7&fep=49775&SRCCODE=PLA00020&product_id=15089Z&adpos=1o8&creative=83580268260&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw3drIBRCOwfC-_qqyjQ8SJADvoWQpmwnYDfv9K0VAj37KzZ29ec6t536nLaKj_YgldoW4RhoCzmTw_wcB

so after reading about this, and seeing the specs, which I question.. I simply had to post this question to the website... still awaiting the online response to it, but in the mean time whoever used this could assist also, as it seems like a great product... no question on if it works, I've used many products from that company...
My only question was "how much do you REALLY need" to complete the process...

my ? was... :??:

"Ok, so I've read the "coverage" response to all those that ask this 'HOW MUCH XXXX TO DO MY XXX BUMPERS'  question, and the answer is all the same... "a can covers 10-15 sq. feet"...  so it that based on a single coat, or the recommended 2-4 coats..?"

the stuff ain't cheap by any means, and if there are scratches and knicks, they can't say the stuff will change the surface "texture" it's applied to (i.e., sanded, smooth, scratched, etc.), so I know I can buy multiple cans of Krylon spray, for the price of one single can of restorer. And a can of Krylon is big, and covers well, and doesn't take more than 3 coats to completely do a fine job... and if I sand the surface smooth, It will somewhat act as a filler... but it is a PAINT, so.... besides, Krylon comes in an array of creative colors... :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :great: :great:

don't get me wrong, I would try the stuff on pristine (unscratched) faded black plastics in a heartbeat, but at $$ I reallllly want to know how many cans it reaalllly will take.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 01:07:27 am »
Cousins son is a pro detailer, turned me onto this.  GOOD Ch!!t  Used it on my Connie and looked better than new, last s along time as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Solution-Finish-Black-Plastic-Restorer/dp/B006NZRAFE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545962726&sr=8-3&keywords=solution+finish
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 01:32:22 pm »
A crazy solution I was put on to years ago, S100 Engine Brightener. Now it does not permanently 'fix' the fading, in the Foor-e-duhh sun here I would have to re apply every 6 months or so, a gentle wipe with a lint free rag after application.
Worked best on the black items with a texture, the outer portion of the inside saddlebag shell that is smooth, it didn't seem to be 'absorbed' as well but it improved the appearance immensely, IMHO.  ;D
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:21:10 pm »
Here ya go.
https://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic-resurfacer-matte-black-aerosol.html?fee=7&fep=49775&SRCCODE=PLA00020&product_id=15089Z&adpos=1o8&creative=83580268260&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw3drIBRCOwfC-_qqyjQ8SJADvoWQpmwnYDfv9K0VAj37KzZ29ec6t536nLaKj_YgldoW4RhoCzmTw_wcB

so after reading about this, and seeing the specs, which I question.. I simply had to post this question to the website... still awaiting the online response to it, but in the mean time whoever used this could assist also, as it seems like a great product... no question on if it works, I've used many products from that company...
My only question was "how much do you REALLY need" to complete the process...

my ? was... :??:

"Ok, so I've read the "coverage" response to all those that ask this 'HOW MUCH XXXX TO DO MY XXX BUMPERS'  question, and the answer is all the same... "a can covers 10-15 sq. feet"...  so it that based on a single coat, or the recommended 2-4 coats..?"

the stuff ain't cheap by any means, and if there are scratches and knicks, they can't say the stuff will change the surface "texture" it's applied to (i.e., sanded, smooth, scratched, etc.), so I know I can buy multiple cans of Krylon spray, for the price of one single can of restorer. And a can of Krylon is big, and covers well, and doesn't take more than 3 coats to completely do a fine job... and if I sand the surface smooth, It will somewhat act as a filler... but it is a PAINT, so.... besides, Krylon comes in an array of creative colors... :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :great: :great:

don't get me wrong, I would try the stuff on pristine (unscratched) faded black plastics in a heartbeat, but at $$ I reallllly want to know how many cans it reaalllly will take.

It actually covers really well with a fairly light coat . I would say 2 cans should get all the black on a C10 and maybe the bags too . I did my back fender and air scoops and barely used a third of a can . Mine were pretty faded , almost grey . Looks new now .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 08:48:24 pm »
thanks, fender n air scoops are minimal area, so I was concerned as to what someone would really need to spend on doing bags, if at that fugly point..
My question posted on the Eastwood site, somehow got ditched, which kinda p/o'd me... so I opened a chat, and asked them about it... here is the results.

please not just how many times the "math" was changed, during the conversation.. and the result.

"Rich, aka Man Of Blues;I recently submitted/asked a question, about real coverage area,
based on the can size, vs recommended coats (2-4 coats) for your
item#15089Z plastic resurfacer... the question did show up on the  page, after I verified my e-mail, but now it is gone... what is up with that? I am always truthful, and forthcoming with data, and references for products, and share this info with my group of
motorcyclists, specifically the Concours Owners Group, which I am
a former Technical Editor of. Truthfully, I would like to know the
answer, straightforward, whatever it is... but it seems as if after the question was posted, and I did see it, a decision was made to pull that question and not answer it.
Please  forward this to someone that can give me that answer; as I am somewhat hedging on giving an endorsement, without using the product, and the response will dictate the outcome of my future endorsement.

Chat started
Kelley M. joined the chat

Kelley M.;
Hello, Thank you for contacting Eastwood. Please give me a moment to gather that information. While I look into that what was your question?

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
please read the above comment I initially wrote...

Kelley M.;
I do apologize. One moment

Kelley M.;
I understand what you're saying however when it comes to painting there are so many variables which can effect the usage of let's say one can. Some you mentioned such as the over spray and some such as person opinion - for instance what I may consider to be
one full coat, another person would say that it is too thick. This is why we can't recommend the exact number of cans you will need. We list one can's coverage at approximately 10-15 square feet as a way of recommend the appropriate level of thickness and to allow our consumers to better estimate the type of coverage they will need for their surface. Actually being in front of the item intended to be painted allows a huge benefit of estimating how many cans - a benefit we simply don't have.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. We do not wish to not provide all information, we just simply cannot make accurate recommendations beyond the square footage recommendation.

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
hang tight, I am responding.

Kelley M.;
Ok

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
well, the last 2 responses (sorry, I didn't copy one of them fast enough..)
 have pushed this to what is now being perceived as "opinion on coat thickness", and not factual coverage of a single coat, as recommended by the cans volumn, and your inside testing as "a can will cover this area, with a single coat, if applied as we do it".. I hope you are getting my point. I don't really care how much can be made of one can, as much as how much area can be covered by a single coat, per your tested means of application...we can all do math, and multiply to get the cans vs coats thing, that's easy, but this seems to be a runaround. So, per Eastwood's, "specifications, we can now assume, a single can,
when applied by Eastwoods recommended "calibrated hands", will actually cover 20 to 30 sq. ft, with ONE coat... is that what you are saying? Mind you, 25 sq ft, is a square 5 feet, x 5 feet..and you say one can will "cover" this once?

Hello Rich are you still there

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
that is kind of an answer, but as I read this and want to suggestan amount some person in my group would need to purchase, to
accomplish a "perfect" completion of the job at hand (black ABS plastic panniers, approximatly 24"x18"x12", and a pair of them, which have faded greatly, I feel the necessity of suggesting the full 4 coats (applied correctly, with no runs, or over application), and take into count some overspray, but minimal... it's still a bit vague. In fact, it's very vague, I'm thinking more like the size and volumn of the can, is only going to coat the area noted one coat, and will test it myself.
Kelley M.;
Correct. However appropriate application for this product recommends 2-4 coats.

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
yes... I realize this. Now we are going in circles... please read everything we have been discussing, I think this should be clear.

Kelley M.
Yes Rich I do understand everything you have addressed.  But as stated before there are variables when it comes to painting.  One can should cover about between 16-20 sq ft in a single coat.

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
this would be so much easier, if the company posted accurate data,on a single coat

Kelley M.
I do understand Rich but we do phrase it this way because a min of two coats is recommended.  So if you apply as directed it will cover 8-10 sq ft.

Rich, aka Man Of Blues;
by your disclosure above, we can calculate that the figure, when applied correctly, will actuall cover 8-10 sq ft, with 2 coats, and in reality 4-5 sq ft, when 4 coats are applied.. more like what I figured... it really isn't honorable, or acceptable, to advertise as such, when these things are not really disclosed, especially if someone pops $20 for a can of spray, and then has to make a second, or even 3rd trip, for yet another can...

Kelley M.;
Ok Rich I do under stand I will speak with our web team about your feedback."

soooo, there you have it... buy 2 cans, $39+, to do this.
or, 2 cans of this, and be done...
https://tinyurl.com/ydbqsfzz

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 12:27:19 am »
While not near as detailed and documented as my past experiences with Eastwood, this has been my formed opinion of Eastwood.  Vaguely underhanded and a bit hazy.

Look at their powder they sell for powder coating.  ANYWHERE else you buy powder, it is by the pound.  With Eastwood, until relatively recently, it was quietly sold by the 8 oz package only found in the fine print, at the same cost as a pound by other suppliers.  What they sell a pound of semi gloss for, you can buy 2 pounds with a little educated searching.

The final straw for me was their 1/4" digital air regulator some years ago.  Bought this for fine tuning air supply for paint and powder gun.  Not only was in WILDY inaccurate, it would not even hold a setting fluxuating like a kid was on the other end playing pranks.  Returned it with some hassle and got a replacement, same thing.  You will have more fun and be more productive burning a $20 bill for fun.  Left a 1 star review that was pulled down the following day.. Odd, maybe a fluke, posted the same 1 star review again.  Not surprisingly, it was pulled down within hours.  I contacted Eastwood with my awareness of the matter and swore never to buy from them again, and I haven't.  They are dishonest.

Eastwood is like the Amazon/Gander Mountain of guns.  Great selection, but very filtered customer reviews and better prices found with another 30 seconds of searching.

FWIW Chemical Guys products on Amazon is crap as well.  Stay away from it.
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline Daboo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 03:37:35 am »
A product called "Black Again" works well on black plastic parts to restore them to black and to keep them that way.  You apply it, then expose it to UV rays from the sun.

I bought mine at the local auto parts store.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 08:41:47 pm »
I used plastic paint from...Krylon or Rustoleum. Stuff is inexpensive and has been stable for years now.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 04:42:02 pm »
I was able to resurface the dashboard, both glove compartment lids and the left and right glove compartment runners with 1 can. This was with 4 light coats. I am very satisfied. Plan on pulling my rear fender and turn signals and resurface. I have tried everything over the years on plastic and Eastwood is the best imho. Mine didn't cure properly due to high humidity so they sent me another can free. Supposed to last 10 years and is UV resistant.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline concourscharlie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:40 pm »
I used plastic paint from...Krylon or Rustoleum. Stuff is inexpensive and has been stable for years now.

This is what i used when I rebuilt the 93 back in 2015,  the bike build that brought me here.  I was happy with the results, still am!
1998 Concours, Kronk
1993 Concours, KIA

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 02:36:43 pm »
Been using this product from Eastwood for years. A little goes a long way. Usually one treatment a year on the bike and its good. Couldn't find it on eastwood.com but on another site.
https://www.ecklers.com/corvette/rubber-and-vinyl-restorer-25-301370-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o6&scid=scplp25-301370-1&sc_intid=25-301370-1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq8mu6rzZ3wIVC4hpCh1MjgC_EAQYBiABEgLRofD_BwE
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,

Offline Mark N

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 11:08:38 pm »
I’ve heard that Pledge works good.
1995 Concours

Offline dimetraveler

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11100
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 05:10:41 pm »
Well going to take the plunge and order up the eastwoods product,pulling my old faded c10 apart and doing bags over with the bed liner,inner plastics with the eastwoods and the bike a dark green olive over gray.And if extra funds come in a light tinted screen.What do you think of the colors?
WOW

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 05:18:37 pm »
Mark, I use pledge on painted fairing pieces, windscreen and helmet shields from positive comments made on other posts on this site.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim