Author Topic: Roll rear wheel on a board for getting Connie on center stand  (Read 369 times)

Offline LeeM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
  • Membership Level: Active
Roll rear wheel on a board for getting Connie on center stand
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:30:14 am »
This evening I could not get my Connie on the center stand. I was puzzled as I used to be able to swing the bike up on the center stand usually in  a single try.

I rolled the rear wheel of the bike on a piece of 3/4" plywood. Hoisting the rear wheel gave me just enough altitude that I could get the bike on the center stand.

Attached photo shows the wood and bike.

Thinking back to the last time I worked on the bike, I had been playing around with the rear air shock. The air shock pressure valve linkage was out of order.  I pumped the shock to 45 psi. The previous owner may have had the shock pumped to 65 or the shock may have been at 0 psi. In any case, I think playing with the air shock caused the bike to be hard to get onto the center stand.

Does the air pressure level in the shock make a difference in how the bike rides and handles? Is 45 PSI about right for a 220 lb rider?

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
Re: Roll rear wheel on a board for getting Connie on center stand
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:21:56 pm »
  I use a piece of 2 X 6. Stick it under the back wheel and drive up on it. Then I use the kickstand.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:18:38 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:14:03 pm »
The higher the air pressure in the rr shock, that raises the bike, makes it 'easier' to centerstand. No air in the rr shock makes it real challenging.

I have a 2X4, (with some non-slip on the bottom of it) I roll my back tire onto, easy peasy up on the centerstand.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5753
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »
LeeM:

After reading your post and the replies, I checked my owners manual ['86 model]. The manual says for a 150 lb. rider, 7.1 lbs of air would be about right. I'm no math major, but I divided 150 by 7.1 and came up with 21.13 body weight lbs. I'm 200 lbs. on a good day, so I checked my shock air pressure and it read 10.0 lbs. which made my happy because that's what my math was close to.

Not sure if this is "the" way to figure it out and I'm sure other folks will chime in.

HTH,

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
Another advantage of the car tire on mine, it is a piece of cake to put on the center stand now :beerchug:

Offline Sparkie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:20:02 pm »
When I had my C10 I would use small pcs of 3/4" plywood and that would make all the difference in getting the bike up.  I'm a lightweight 160 lbs and usually kept the shock around 25-30 psi. You don't want to exceed max pressure which if I remember correctly was around 50 psi as you can damage the shock internals. But I would think that most guys at 200 plus lbs. need way more than 10 psi in the shock.  Of course its all personal preference but thats a pretty soft mushy ride.
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 05:06:05 am »
I borrowed this trick from you C10 guys to get my Z1 900 on the center stand. It used to be I could put one of those on the center stand no problem. now that I'm old its not as easy as it was back  in the 70's. The C14 is easy without a board.  Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:57:52 pm »
Lee, fyi; max pressure in a C-10 rear shock is 50 psi.
In all the years I had my C-10 I kept 40-50 psi in it.

Recently I installed C-14 shock on my C-10.
I was setting the sag, and it dawned on me that the proper way to decide air requirements {on a stock C-10 shock} would be to set the sag height.
  ie: (Similar to setting preload on a spring), adjust air pressure to get the right sag. (approx. 30 - 40 mm)

If I'm right, I think you can adjust the air pressure just like they adjust spring preload.
This video shows an easy way to do the measurement's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:11:46 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org