Author Topic: Rough idle and dies with throttle  (Read 270 times)

Offline Crytsr1

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Rough idle and dies with throttle
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:22 am »
Ok everyone normally come on here do a little searching and find my answer but this time there seems to be a lot of variables. I've had my c10 for about 5 years no issues. A year ago February I bought a new c14. My thoughts were I will still ride the c10 occasionally well that is not the case and she has sat since I got my 14. So I decided I would sell my 10 so someone else could enjoy it this is where my problems start of course.
Hopefully my rambling is detailed enough and able to be followed.

This list of problems is due to my neglect.

Dead battery I expected this so pick up a new one.

Drain the old gas add fresh turn to prime it takes a a bit but shes alive, but will not idle unless the choke is left on. Look down and see gas dripping from the petcock. O-ring kit ordered right then. I figured the carbs probably need cleaned since it sat. Pulled the carbs and found a torn vacuum slide. Another part ordered. I cleaned the carbs like I've done a 100 times before on the old kz's I've had over the years.
Parts installed, bike put back together went ahead and did plugs just because, also tested the coil just to make sure they were within spec.

So everything I could see is fixed and I start her back up. Same issue, try adjusting the idle again and still no luck... broke the the cable to the adjuster knob that has been fixed.
It does run but only with the choke left on about a 1/4 and when the throttle is opened it bogs down and dies unless I open the choke more then apply throttle and cut the choke off and keep the rpms up with the throttle.

I did ride it today keeping the rpm's high and playing the clutch to get her moving, on throttle under 3k it chugs and sputters but doesn't die above 3k it runs like it should. If I pull the clutch while moving it idles down and dies.

So who's got advice for me? If you need more info please let me know. It's been about a week now of trying this and that trying to hunt down the issue.

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Rough idle and dies with throttle
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 02:57:20 am »
  My guess primary jets are plugged. Maybe plugged from setting to long.  Next guess like plug wires corroded.  Air leak on the carb boots. If you use gas with ethanol and setting idle for awhile will plug up the carbs. That's all I have for now!!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:02 am »
Did you Clean the jets?

Offline Crytsr1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:40:13 am »
Did a quick clean but did not remove the jets when cleaning. Just made sure cleaner sprayed thru them. I will tear them back out tomorrow and deep clean them. Good place to start! Had that thought just didn't want to tear them back out if there was something else. I did look at the plug wires inspected both ends and saw no corrosion.

Offline Crytsr1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:49 am »
I did check for leaks when I had it running by spraying with carb cleaner. There was no rpm spike.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 03:49:35 am »
Clean the carbs properly. Stop spraying carb cleaner like that .

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 11:00:08 am »
I've had this same problem several times over the years.  From your description, Your pilot jets probably have crud in them, so the mixture is way off at lower throttle openings.  These jets have extremely small passages, both the jet holes themselves, and the cross drilled holes.  Unless these are completely cleaned out, your idle and low speed mixture will be way off and the bike won't run right. 

"Normal" cleaning with solvents seldom gets these cleaned out well enough to fix the issue.  SISF can get them cleaned out and set up correctly.  You can do it yourself if you have a set of jet needle reamers, and know how to use them correctly.  If you don't know what these are, and how to use them correctly, then send the carbs to SISF; it'll be money well spent, and save you time and frustration!!!
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:12:11 pm »
  Send them here.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/intake-and-exhaust

Steve has done over 500 sets of carbs. He cleans every nook and cranny and sets them up better than NEW!!! :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:26:10 pm »
Had the same problem. It was due to clogged pilot jets.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:35 pm »
Pull the carbs, remove the jets, if you can't see daylight they are clogged. Also remove the needles and check the small holes in the sides of the needle jet holders. a piece of wire from a wire brush will do wonders. If not inclined to do these steps, box them and send them to Steve in Florida. Best money you will ever spend.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Crytsr1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 02:17:48 am »
THANKS EVERYONE! Removed and deep cleaned the carbs tonight and she runs like a champ again. I new I should have done it when I first opened them up but tried to take the easy route which I new better than to do.
Thanks Again!