Author Topic: Rough idle, down on power, popping on deceleration, gas smell at stop light.  (Read 193 times)

Offline Atlockjw

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Hey folks. I'm in dire need and I apologize but don't have time to do a lengthly search. I have a 70 mile commute to head back home and on the way in the motorcycle started behaving as described above. I'm concerned about potential flooding. I'm planning on pulling the tank off and looking for any obvious problem and possibly pulling spark plugs to see if there is fuel in the cylinders. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I figured worst case scenario I would U-Haul it home.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Sounds like you've got a stuck float valve, ortrash is holding it open.
If so, there is an Extreme possibility of hydrolock if you shutdown and restart..

Tow it home.

NOTE: One way to confirm stuck valve is put petcock in prime while not running.
          If float is stuck or has trash holding it open, gas will begin to weep out of the carb/airbox.

Another {less likely} possibility that would cause gas smell is a leaking petcock.
Is gas coming out of the weep hole on the petcock?

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
For a short term solution, drain all the float bowls, and close the drains.

Then when you turn to prime, the gas flowing into the float bowls may dislodge whatever is stuck in the float valve.

The theory is that in normal operation, upward pressure on the float needle keeps the gunk trapped.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
  • COG#: forum
You can tap on the float bowls and see if it dislodges anything too. But you are playing with fate. Has the bike/carbs not been maintained?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Anthony. This can be a serious problem. You may want to search and read up on hydrolock.... How and why it happens
The problem is you do not have over flow tubes so  please do not start that bike back up until you understand the risks.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Atlockjw

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
I have read up on hydro lock but haven't addressed it yet. I guess I will now. Thanks for the input,  got a uhaul and will tow it home tomorrow.  Thanks again all! 😎

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
I have read up on hydro lock but haven't addressed it yet. I guess I will now. Thanks for the input,  got a uhaul and will tow it home tomorrow.  Thanks again all! 😎

just don't be "tempted" to hit the starter button... remove the tank, remove the spark plugs, disconnect the power leads from the coils, throw an old towel over the top of the engine... and crank 'er over to spit out any fuel in the pistons... do it outside, don't smoke, have a fire extinguisher handy.. all the above and use caution.. then, visit the offending float bowls.. drain and re-fill, tap, and drain again... (cut off a 2 litre pop bottle longitudinally, and use it as a "trough" under the carbs to catch the fuel, and plumb it out to the side, and dispose of it.)

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • COG#: 12064
Only advice missing so far IS get overflow tubes installed. They will not prevent the problem you have now but will help with a hydro lock event if a float sticks again. I tried the drain the bowls, prime, drain, it didn't work had to remove the carbs and remove the float bowl and clean the float valve to get it to stop leaking. I knew which one it was by removing the air filter and turning it to prime and could see with an inspection mirror the fuel leaking into the air box. Of course the next step is to remove the plugs and make sure the fuel didn't run into the cylinder also. (see MOB post}

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10824
Atlockjw,
may i recommend SISF's overflow tubes.  just saved my C10 from a hydrolock event.  it's winter time.  pull the carbs (never easy) and send them to SISF for his overflow tubes.  it's been 6 or 8 years since Steve put mine in.  i figured i'd never need them.  well i was wrong.  saved my C10 from hydrolock couple weeks back.
-tdbru