Author Topic: Seat comfort  (Read 386 times)

Offline david

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Seat comfort
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:26:05 pm »
Ok guys now that I haven’t bike running great, I’m ready to work on some comforts,  my seat dumps me foward pushing me towards the tank, is that typical.  Any suggestions to make my seat more comfortable

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Seat comfort
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:00:14 am »
I'm reasonably happy with my stock seat. If yours is an 86 you could raise the clip ons (1986 had lower bars which I found was hard on the wrists and caused me to put too much weight leaned forward.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:09:24 am »
Ok guys now that I haven’t bike running great, I’m ready to work on some comforts,  my seat dumps me foward pushing me towards the tank, is that typical.  Any suggestions to make my seat more comfortable

Yes sir, that is typical.  Go to a COG event and see what others are using.  Here's a thread showing some choices.  If the money is there, I would advise having one custom made just for you.  Buying a used custom seat is hit or miss due to body differences between riders.  Good luck!
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c10/(fyi)-photo-seat-comparison-stock-x-corbin-x-russel/
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:36:23 pm »
Three things to adjust to make your riding more comfortable:

Handlebars
Footpegs
Seat

I'd start with the handlebars, because they're the easiest thing to change, and have a big impact on comfort. Changing the bars also gives you better grip/control against things like sliding in the seat. With my changed bar setup, I'm able to better keep my passenger from sliding forward uncomfortably.

You can get bar adapters so you can use a conventional tubular bar, which means you can really change the height, pullback, wrist angle, etc.

Lowering the footpegs isn't for everyone (I tried it for a while, was more comfortable, but had tradeoffs I didn't like, such as dragging). Murphs has a kit you can get - maybe someone has adapters to sell.

Seat - after you've tinkered with the handlebars (so have an idea how you want to sit), find a local shop that does custom seat work. You'll want someone who will adjust the seat foam with you in the shop with them.  Then they'll re-cover it.  Expect custom seat work to set you back $200+.

I'd do the seat last, because of cost, and because it takes time to get used to the bike and figure out how you want it. Handlebars can be changed anytime, the seat is more of a one-shot deal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:54:06 pm by JimBob »

Offline david

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:59:02 pm »
I’m ordering bar risers, 1.25.    And 1/4 offset,    I have orderd a seat cover. Just for a temporary fix,  I’ll start looking into custom shops

Offline John_Atkinson

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5921
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:42:19 pm »

David,

Having gone from OEM to Corbin to Russell on my '91, I can offer a few thoughts. My OEM was the older-style flat "bench", Kaw later went to a Corbin-look for the stock seat (can't recall what year - -'94?).

I bought my Connie new in February '93. Stock seat was OK but I had heard good things about Corbin and was tending to do longer rides, so I got a Corbin a couple of months  later. Had it on for the next 7 years/70,000 miles, at which point it was showing its age (to put it mildly) and I had got more into long-distance "endurance" riding, so in 2000 I sprung (pardon the pun) for a RDL.

My only regret with the Russell: that I didn't do it sooner. Yes, it's that good. 60,000 miles and 19 years later, it still feels as comfortable as ever.

When I first got the seat and did a couple of rides on it, I found that the wings on the sides were creating pressure points on my legs....sent it back to RDL and in very short order I had it back and they had modified it accordingly.

Three days after I got it back, I did my break-in run for the seat --- a 400-mile ride to Ohio which was the starting point for the 2000 ButtLite II rally I was competing in. Over the next 7 days I put on roughly 6500 miles and had ZERO discomfort. None. Nada. Zilch. Rien du tout

You will get many different opinions here on the list and I'm sure all will be well-founded. Just consider this an absolute, unconditional, 100% positive endorsement of the Russell.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.,
John
John Atkinson
Windsor, ON
CANADA
COG #5921
'91 Concours "Zeke" - 225,000 km and counting........

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:25:09 pm »
Seats and comfort can be subjective and dependent on rider's shape and weight.

My experience is almost identical to John_Atkinson's.

For 10 years, I tried old and new gen C10 OEM seats, corbins, home modified, then Russell . . . . where the search abruptly stopped.

Been riding on Russell for almost 6 years - all good.  Only regret - same as John's - shoulda done it sooner.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Mozzachio

• Tricycle
    • Rider Training of NJ
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 03:35:41 pm »
I hated the stock seat on my '01 that I owned for years and on the '04 I just got. 

I replaced the '01 seat with a Corbin which was nice but VERY hard and lowered the seat height an inch or so (that was a long time ago so I am not sure they still lower the seeat height)

On my '04 I bought a used Russell which is spectacular.  I got lucky and some other short fat guy was selling it so it is close to perfect for me.  I can only imagine how good it would be if it was made for me.

This is my second Russel, the frist was on an NC700X, and I will try to get one for every bike I ever own from here out.

Mark
Back on a Connie-1000 after ten years on other bikes.

Former bikes
LTD 440, GS740E, Hawk400, LTD 1100, Pacific Coast, 01 ZG1000, R1200GS, ST1100, NC700X