Author Topic: Shocking carburetor damage.  (Read 505 times)

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
Shocking carburetor damage.
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:42:05 am »
Doing my last carb overhaul before a late summer fuel injection retrofit. On disassembly I discovered #3 pilot jet had the head broken off. Found the threaded portion with the emulsion tube iaying in the box after I de racked the carburetors. Head was missing so that pilot jet was definitely sucking a lot of fuel. #4 Diaphragm spring was broken about 2/3 of the length. My last ride I was getting 20mpg. Bought a set of ZG1200 carburetors for the overflow tubes, the diaphragm springs, and various screws.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Shocking carburetor damage.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 04:33:35 pm »
That’s crazy. Surprised it even ran that well.  My son has a 92 and we would like to rebuild carbs. Is it very hard?  Special tools or skills?  Did this before on single cylinder bikes. I have the vacum gage for balancing which we already did once. Thanks
2006 Kawasaki Concours
2006 Harley Heritage (sold)

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »
That’s crazy. Surprised it even ran that well.  My son has a 92 and we would like to rebuild carbs. Is it very hard?  Special tools or skills?  Did this before on single cylinder bikes. I have the vacum gage for balancing which we already did once. Thanks
Been a pain in the ...most of the screws were pre stripped for my convenience. Since the newest C10's are now 13 years old the carbs needed to be de racked and have new orings on all the connecting tubes. I had to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and an extra set of carbs for parts. You would need JIS screwdriver set. Dremel for grinding a slot in stripped screws. Now that they have been apart 4 weeks I have a nice jigsaw puzzle to put back together.  Honestly, although I know I can successfully complete this I wish I had sent them to Steve. Lol.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:25:14 pm »
As for the "jigsaw puzzle"..............I have been a mechanic of several disciplines all my life, and I find the digital camera (or your smart phone) is the best invention yet when taking apart unfamiliar stuff.  I used to use a Polaroid (you young guys can "Google" that  ;D).  Now I photo the crap out of stuff I may have a problem remembering.  Plus then you can blow it up for finer detail if needed, or post pics to forums like this if you need further advice (or sympathy).
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:57:55 pm »
As for the "jigsaw puzzle"..............I have been a mechanic of several disciplines all my life, and I find the digital camera (or your smart phone) is the best invention yet when taking apart unfamiliar stuff.  I used to use a Polaroid (you young guys can "Google" that  ;D).  Now I photo the crap out of stuff I may have a problem remembering.  Plus then you can blow it up for finer detail if needed, or post pics to forums like this if you need further advice (or sympathy).
  Yeah. I took lots of pictures.

Offline KonKours

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12991
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:57 am »
Hey PB, what cleaning solution did you use in your ultrasonic?
- Kevin

'01 C10 ~22K miles (17" meanie, Sonic 1.1kg, GVE)
2009 Yamaha WR450F
1984 Kawasaki Ninja 900

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:46 am »
I used a 50/50 pinesol and water mixture in my ultrasonic cleaner.
Works well
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline KonKours

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:45:00 am »
Thx Doug. I was planning to try the 50/50 pinesol mix, so glad to hear good results.

- Kevin
- Kevin

2009 Yamaha WR450F
1984 Kawasaki Ninja 900

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:16 am »
Hey PB, what cleaning solution did you use in your ultrasonic?
  I used a few capfuls of Zep aluminum safe degreaser. The ultrasonic does the cleaning not the solution so 50/50 is overkill. Very happy with the results.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 02:21:24 pm »
Do you guys have shops or are these ultrasonic cleaners cheap enough to make sense for the casual owner?

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 03:42:57 pm »
Do you guys have shops or are these ultrasonic cleaners cheap enough to make sense for the casual owner?
I bought one at Hatbor Freight for $79. If you Google "Harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner review" you will see how it compares to slightly pricier cleaners. There is enough room to clean one carburetor not fully submerged so you have to flip the body one time.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 04:01:57 pm »
I have an l&r ive had for over 20 years. wasn't cheap, but also has lasted beautifully.  :great:

Offline KonKours

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 04:09:57 pm »
+1 Harbor Freight UC for $79 (even better deal with their 20% discount coupons) - Kevin
- Kevin

2009 Yamaha WR450F
1984 Kawasaki Ninja 900

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 05:04:55 pm »
One of the best things of working in healthcare is free stuff.
Scored a ultrasonic cleaner years ago they were going to throw out.
Fits a whole rack in with a hour timer.
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF