Author Topic: Should it stay or should it go?  (Read 661 times)

Offline Solderwick

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Should it stay or should it go?
« on: July 15, 2017, 10:26:19 pm »
Returning member who needs some help from y'all on deciding whether to dump my '03 Connie as is or spend some coin to fix her up before selling. We are in the process of moving from our current home to a smaller place with no space for many of the "toys" I have.

Looking at our local Craigslist, most of the similar years and mileage are going for around 2 grand. Mine is not running too well due to sitting in the garage for a couple of years with ethanol gas in the carbs. Starts poorly and will run, but the lower jets in one or more carbs seem to be funky since it idles poorly and mid-range is sloppy. Once opened up she pulls like always. Best thing seems to yank the carb rack to send off to Steve in Florida for his magic to be done.

So any wisdom as how to proceed would be appreciated. I might just post a "for sale as is" thread to get her off to a better home. Particulars are 22,850 miles, pretty stock except for a couple of farkles (rear backrest/rack, electronic cruise control, braided brake lines). Front rotors need replacement, has the oil leak from over-filling oil (oops), and normal wear & tear from life. Oregon title is labeled as "Salvaged" due to the previous owner letting it fall while at a light. Some fairing damage and cracks in one trunk. Michelin Pilot on the front and Avon Venom rear with less than 1k on them both. Overall a B- in condition.

Thanks,

-Solderwick_

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Should it stay or should it go?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:18:12 am »
I would not put much or any money into it if you plan on selling it off just to get rid of it. A good 03 won't fetch more than 2K to begin with. Unless you spent little buying it in the first place and want to fix it up and make a little I would say let it go as is.

Where is it leaking oil?

I think clean it up, drain and replace gas, see if some snake oil such as carb cleaners will help clean the carbs a bit, then put it up for sale here and locally. For the right price someone will buy it and use it as a summer/winter project.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:21:44 am »
   With that low mileage that C10 is good for at least 100,000 mile. I'd say sell as is for whatever you can get. Tell the buyer what you wrote here and what it needs. Would really not want to see a low mileage C10 go to the boneyard. And tell the new owner to join COG. Everything is here to help the new owner.

The Concours is a great bike for someone to ride for a long time.

Thanks for posting and good luck on your move.  :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:26:04 am »
I would try to sell it as is. A pretty nice one can be had for around $2k (sometimes less) and with the mentioned bruises and salvage title you will probably be looking at less than $1500. The carb work expense will probably not be recouped in its current condition.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Solderwick

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:38:31 pm »
Thanks guys - awesome comments.  :great:  Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Looks like DC's advice is the best way to go so I'll get it ready to sell. The oil leak just needs the "o-ring thingy that pops off if over-filling" fix. If I can get enough gunk out of the carbs to make it run well enough for someone to ride it to their garage for major work then great. Hopefully it'll give many more years of pleasure to a new owner.

Love the bike (don't we all) and am having a hard time thinking about getting rid of it, but life has a way of not always letting us have what we want.

-Solderwick-

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 02:57:53 pm »
  Good luck Ken. :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline KLRPhil

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:23:28 pm »
Here's an '06 w/ 43k in VA going for $1800: https://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kawasaki-concours/6221531729.html  That could be my bike (I hope it isn't, as I'm in Italy!).  Thought I post just to let folk know about pricing.  I don't expect to get much for mine when I have to sell it a few years down the road.  It's worth much more to me than that!
My Connie followed me home after the test ride...

Offline SantaCruzRider

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8702
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »
It sounds like you are selling a poor running, 14-yr-oild bike that is tough to start, needs front brakes, has cracked fairings and sidecase, and a salvage title.

I'd list it for $1,000 and feel extremely lucky is someone pays you that much. I hope you don't take that personal. Unfortunately, older bikes are either very well maintained and have value or they aren't and are seen as projects or parts bikes where the buyer is betting that the needed repairs will be worth it. Betting typically comes with a hefty discount.

Good luck
Dan Breeden
Concourier editor emeritus (2015-'16), OtP rider 2017
'94 Concours; '01 FZ1

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 03:53:40 pm »
FWIW, my 03 with 151k on it runs OK and if I get 1K for it I'll be satisfied.
COG #6962