Author Topic: Side panels when sidecases off bike ?  (Read 813 times)

Offline wayne-o

• Tricycle
  • More Testarossa than Transformers
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12890
  • Membership Level: Active
Side panels when sidecases off bike ?
« on: December 11, 2018, 01:11:51 am »
 I seem to recall the Concours 10 had color matching side panels for when the cases are off. I checked my owners manual , no mention of such. Anyone have info ?
     I rode for about  an hour today. 35 and sunny afterwards I removed the cases. I will probably only use them on trips. Much easier in my tight parking spot and splitting lanes. Im really loving this bike. 1st gear seems to have a limited range. No benifit wringing it out. Best to shift maybe around 4 grand then unwind 2nd. Comfy for sure.
The Urban Ballet with millimeters to spare

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12907
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Side panels when sidecases off bike ?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:47:46 am »
Yep, first gear not very useful once moving might as well get right into second. The ratios are rather tight/close. My Honda ST1300 only has five cogs, but are spaced better and the engine is much torquier.
I had the factory insert/side panels for both the 2002 and 2005 C10's, but even though I rode w/o luggage on occasion never bothered to install the panels. It's sort of a pain to change back and forth. They don't simply pop on after you take the bags off.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline wayne-o

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:59:21 pm »
When I glanced back after removing cases I saw  2 black spot. These are the case hooks so  no matching panel for sure. Love the bike .

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:18:03 pm »
Yes, these bikes came with the color-matched closure panels.  Normally, you would have to remove the antlers (baggage mounts) to put those panels on, this gives a smooth side and looks good.  There is a way (not too complicated) to cut some holes on the color panels so they can be installed WITH the antlers in place.  I have pics of mine after I did this, but those pics are currently inside my old laptop which I have yet to resurrect.  I have posted them before so maybe I or someone else can find them with a search.

Hah....found it.  THere is one pic in this old thread.

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c10/rear-inserts-mod/msg235685/#msg235685
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:38:43 am »
These are commonly called "antler covers" I believe. They're small. My 2000 which was red, had both wrapped and stored in bubble wrap. They were passed from the first owner to the second, the second to me, me to the fourth. They had never been installed. You might check  with Jerry Gaither (a/k/a The Wizard) who stockpiles and sell lots of parts. They're small and easily repainted.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline wayne-o

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 02:05:04 am »
My post got moved to the Concours 10  but I have a 2015. I referenced the Connie Thousand in the post so.....

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:29:48 am »
Seems like someone mentioned something about that.......who could it be? ;)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline cal

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 11:53:59 am »
When I glanced back after removing cases I saw  2 black spot. These are the case hooks so  no matching panel for sure. Love the bike .

If you get a set of covers, it's pretty easy to drill the holes.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Training Wheels
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 10:41:20 pm »
UHHMMM!!  First gear is highway on ramp speed, if your feeling like leaving some rubber on the road.  Just don't gun it while turning  :-X.  But I love that 0 to 60 in 1.2 gears on a 26 year old bike.  Need to open up first to get 3.5 ish seconds zero to 60 >:D  The expressions in the rear view mirror can be priceless.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 08:38:36 pm »

Nice look. I quess I'll be doing this,this coming weekend👍
Doug aka crag antler
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650

Offline concourscharlie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 11:27:13 pm »

Nice look. I quess I'll be doing this,this coming weekend👍

Yep me too,  I missed this mod on the research of ideas to do!!!!  It looks clean and I like it alot...
1998 Concours, Kronk
1993 Concours, KIA

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 11:46:58 pm »
So for a pro-active question, what is the easiest process to drill the holes?
Place the covers on and then mark them with the antlers or????
Thanks, Doug
Doug aka crag antler
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 01:23:15 am »
This is approximately how I did mine.  I copy this info from the link I enclosed in my reply above.

First off let me say I did NOT invent this mod.  I saw pics of Dan Bergmen's bike moded this way and liked it.  The credit goes to him or whoever else thought it up.  Since I never ride without the bags and I got tired of tripping over my antler covers stored in my big toolbox, I figured I'd cut them out and mount them so they can just stay on.

It's very easy and gives you an excuse to buy a Dremel tool if you don't have one already.  Remove the antlers and install some short bolts in the mounting bolt holes, that will allow you to install the covers over the bolt heads and line up their mounting studs.  Put some masking tape on the back side over the areas where the bolts will contact the covers when they are in place.  Push the covers against the bolts and press hard so the bolt heads make impressions in the tape.  This gives you a center point for starting.  Now, the rear hole is just round, so you can drill it will something like a Unibit or use a small hole saw (I forget the size, but you have the antler there so you can find what fits).  Or you can start with a small drillbit and use your Dremel sanding drum to enlarge it.  That's how you deal with the square-ish hole in the front, anyway. Drill it in the center and then gradually enlarge it to fit the profile as needed.  If you don't have a Dremel, hand files will work just fine, the plastic is soft and files easily.  I made a cardboard template to experiment with and when I had it the way I wanted it, I transfered the shape to the antler cover with a scribe, using the round rear hole as a reference alignment and just sanded the front hole out to that scribe line.

Hope this helps.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 04:01:45 pm »
Using studs, or cutting the heads off the bolts will give you a more precise center.

I've avoided doing it because the support struts for my trailer hitch would interfere with the covers unless I did additional whacking on them - however - with the Delkevic mufflers I can't use the hitch, so may opt. to finally do the deed.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline TJSocal

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12519
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 04:12:57 pm »
Well to each his own but I'm not sure I see the point of the side cover mod. To me it doesn't look that much better than antlers on without the covers.

If you really want a clean look it's only about 10 minutes & 4 easily accessible bolts to remove the antlers, and the same to put them back on when you want to mount the hard bags. Plus it seems like those covers are getting pretty rare so I kind of hate to think about people chopping them up.

Online m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 12:37:43 am »
i bought a set with trashed paint to do that to mine (still havent yet... hm. need to get on that) but id have hesitation modding a set with good original paint.