Author Topic: Radar's hydrolocked adventure!  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Radar's hydrolocked adventure!
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:53 am »
This bike is soon becoming a curse.
Just rode a half hour out, to shop for something with my brother in law on his bike...  only to finish shopping, crank it over, and hear it lock up after barely a single revolution.

I really really hope it didn't just & #$#$# bust something when I just bought it...

I'm assuming I gotta pull the plugs now and try to turn it over, hoping it didn't just break/bend a rod..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:52:09 am by Radar »

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
Re: So, I fixed one thing, now it's hydrolocked.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:32:34 am »
Please, somebody tell me it didn't just basically self destruct.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:32:51 am »
Sure hope you're wrong.  Man that would just suck. :'(  You know the drill already.  Do the hydrolock test and find out for sure.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 01:37:57 am »
Well, considering it just cranked, and stopped.... Then I gave it another click, and it didn't turn over at all....

So yeah, it's locked up.

I gotta trailer this thing home AGAIN

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:12 am »
Don't attempt to turn it over until you remove the plugs.

There is a chance it's perfectly fine. There's also a chance it's not perfect... but good enough.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:35:45 am »
The moment I realized what was wrong, I let go immediately. I thought I slipped off the button so I gave it another tap.

I'll be trailering it home tomorrow, and taking the whole thing apart.

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 02:39:17 am »
On the plus side, as I was being pissed off posting the original post sitting on my bike, I got notification my speedo cable shipped.

Yeehaw... -_-

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:49:50 am »
Some hydrolock events don't cause damage AMHIK, I bought my C10 cheap when the PO told me and I thought it had starter problems, turned out ok. Hope you have the same experience.

You'll find out if the petcock is partially to blame when you take the gas line off the petcock with the petcock in the on position.

Disconnect coils, make sure bike is away from ignition sources and you have an old towel over the spark plug holes because it will geyser fuel 2 feet in the air when turning over AMHIK that too.

If the piston heights check out good and you intend on keeping the bike, you should consider sending out the carbs to Steve to to work his magic and have the added insurance of the overflow tubes. As you probably already know and will find out if you have a cylinder full of gas, one or more of the float valves isn't working properly.

If you don't have vast experience with these type of carb rebuilding don't trust them to any cycle shop or any shade tree mechanic. They will get them to work to some extent, maybe back to oem standards if they are good at carb rebuilds. A lot of younger bike mechanics because of more and more fuel injected systems don't have a lot of carb experience. There are numerous steps to get the float valve seating area cleaned up correctly, float heights right along with cleaning up all the tiny passages and all Steve does to get the carb set back to better than OEM standards and performance. There is a 3k rpm hiccup that these carbs had from the factory and his tuning alleviates that too.

Good luck, hope the hydrolock gremlins failed and the piston heights are good for you.

PS check inside your tank for rust and fuel lines for other debris as your fuel system must be clean to alleviate any future carb problems once you get the original problem sorted out? Draining your carb bowls into a jar will give you some insight too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:00:42 am by Bob_C_CT »
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 02:00:26 pm »
Every time I read about another hydro lock it saddens me. Such a great bike and so preventable.
I wish all C10 owners could be made aware of how important overflow tubes are and that this would never ever happen if they just have them installed. No one should ever push that starter button without over flows tubes knowing what we know.
Simple prevention for a lot of unnecessary grief.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:12:01 pm »
Radar, I'll do my best to help ya feel better.
Based on what you sed; it's probably fine.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:46 pm »
Radar-I agree with Ted. 
I hydrolocked mine a long time ago before we knew about installing  overflow tubes.
I did no damage so you should be good too.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »
You're in Cedar Key? I'm moving to Chiefland, next to the state park.  Are you by chance the guy with the 04 I've seen around town with the big flags on the back? Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:07:58 pm »
Dude! That'll be awesome! Someone to wrench with. I work in Chiefland. I'm a supervisor at that Walmart.

And considering my bike has only made it to Chiefland twice, each time breaking down, once at Betts big T while I was working and lastnight while I was shopping, I doubt you've seen me around.  :'(

You're in Cedar Key? I'm moving to Chiefland, next to the state park.  Are you by chance the guy with the 04 I've seen around town with the big flags on the back? Steve

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 04:11:40 pm »
Thank you everyone for your support! I was so mad lastnight that I wasn't really thinking straight. Lol.
Riding back nut to butt with my brother in law for a half hour kinda does that to you.  :))

I'm waiting for my father to be done beekeeping so I can bum his trailer off him so I can go pickup my bike and tear into it.

Since I called progressive and apparently getting my car fixed is no rush, I'll fix my bike up 100% before riding it again so I stop getting stranded everytime.

I've never dealt with insurance, a deer nailed my car and I've been stressing out, this bike was supposed to help calm me, not be another frustration...  :nananana:

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 08:02:47 pm »
Dude! That'll be awesome! Someone to wrench with. I work in Chiefland. I'm a supervisor at that Walmart.

And considering my bike has only made it to Chiefland twice, each time breaking down, once at Betts big T while I was working and lastnight while I was shopping, I doubt you've seen me around.  :'(

Radar, Steve has his own motorcycle shop and is our ConCours best friend! Check out his web site:  https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

He will advise you as to what you have to do to get your C10 on the road. The advice is usually free but his work on motorcycles puts food on the table for the family. He is a straight shooter and will give you advice up front.  :great:
  By the way he treats us very well 'cause he "knows" stuff!!   :beerchug:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:07:21 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 08:23:30 pm »
yeah, before I bought the bike I did a ton of research on it and knew about these various problems.
I found his youtube channel, this forum, and all the various articles based on the bike.
I just never imagined they would rear their head on me so soon, and that really frustrated me.  :-[

It'll be cool to have someone local with the same kinda bike and expertise on it.

Around here the closest city is an hour or more away any direction, so having a riding buddy will be awesome.

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 12:15:03 am »
Well, got the tank and coils outta the way so far.. I'd be alot farther if I had the correct plug socket...

Sigh...

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 12:28:57 am »
Well, got the tank and coils outta the way so far.. I'd be alot farther if I had the correct plug socket...

Sigh...

Well getting a look under the plastics sooner than later isn't terrible. If external appearance is any indication of internal things, like debris in carbs, it isn't surprising if one of the needle valves stuck open.

These are great bikes, but the newest ones are now 12 years old, and only getting older. Hopefully you don't have too many engine woes, but the good news is parts are cheap, and help plentiful.

<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2018, 12:38:52 am »
The air box is disgusting, that'll need a good cleaning out, the tank is spotless luckily. I wouldn't have bought it if it had any rust in it at all. it could use some vacuum lines, fuel lines and such.
I have a ton of sockets, and of course the one I'm missing is the one I need.

I guess I could drive over to Walmart, it's the only thing open this time of night, it'll add an hour to my project to get there and back, but I'll be awake till 5am...so I guess it doesn't matter.

YAY working night shift -_-

Offline Big D

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 12:41:58 am »

Sigh...

I looked at the picture and my OCD went off the charts...lol  I just wanted to start cleaning and scrubbing everything.  I have two Connies in my garage that I am restoring but not running yet.  Both of them were hydrolocked and I did Steve's hydrolock test and neither one suffers from bent rods so there's a very good chance that yours will be okay as well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:23:35 am by Big D »

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 01:38:30 am »
I have a ton of sockets, and of course the one I'm missing is the one I need.

If you have the tool kit you have the proper socket. Im not sure you can buy anything at wal mart to remove your plugs.
2016 C-14

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 01:49:28 am »
Couldn't find this toolkit kicking around under my seat anywhere... So I doubt I have it.

I'm looking at the socket sets and I would have one to buy if the socket I needed wasn't stolen from the set!

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 03:47:40 am »
Ended up going home empty handed, till tomorrow.
Removed the carbs at least. DANG what a chore that is. It's similar to my xs1100 but way tighter. Giggity. Uhm, yeah.

I'll be opening them up when it's daylight, I don't feel like loosing anything small while it's dark outside and I'm using a headlamp.

Cylinder one is obviously the problem judging by the amount fuel sitting on the intake valve.. LOL.
Got a decent amount accomplished at least.

Tomorrow I'll buy the socket I need before work, then when I get home at midnight ish I'll remove the plugs and test for a destroyed rod.

If it all checks out, I have a shopping cart full with murphs, and I'll be looking into adding overflow protection to the carbs.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
Re: Radar's hydrolocked adventure!
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 04:38:26 am »
   If all the rods are not bent the first thing is to get the overflow tubes. Also check that there are no cracks in the air box to screw up air flow. Also make sure your spark plug wires and connection are in good shape. From your pics I saw from your post your C10 has been very neglected. A good cleaning and loving care will go a long way in having a reliable ride!! Good luck. We are hoping for the best. Us Connie owners are rather attached to our ride.  :) :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:43:47 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
Re: Radar's hydrolocked adventure!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 05:37:35 am »
I really really really hope nothing is bent, but from what I'm reading, I could have already had a bent one and not even know it.

I can tell that SOMEBODY has been in here at some point. The carb boots were a bit loose on the engine side, and you can tell they've been messed with. It was a while ago though.

Yeah, the engine is pretty filthy. That's for sure, but this is child's play to compared what I resurrected my '79 xs1100 from.
Just about EVERYTHING on that bike was boned. In 3 months I had it riding to Ohio and back.